Tohatsu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's interesting.

FWIW, our current Suzuki 4-stroke, relatively new design in their "portable" line-up, is obviously different from Hondas of equivalent HP...

-Chris

Chris, I'd appreciate hearing more about your experience. I'm considering a DF20 remote/electric for our new dinghy, supposedly the lightest in its size range. I had a 'zuke 90 on a Skiff and liked it, but no experience with their smaller EFI models. Thanks!

Chris, I'd appreciate hearing more about your experience. I'm considering a DF20 remote/electric for our new dinghy, supposedly the lightest in its size range. I had a 'zuke 90 on a Skiff and liked it, but no experience with their smaller EFI models. Thanks!

So far, so good. Ours is the 15-hp electric start model (DF15A) -- 15 because that's the max recommended for our dink.

Got it early in 2014, so only have three seasons with it so far... and it doesn't get lots of use, so I suspect we don't have more than about 30 hours on it yet.

Still, it started right away each subsequent Spring -- after sitting all winter -- and I haven't had any issues obviously caused by ethanol.

(Unlike with the previous 2-stroke. We're complicit, though, in that we often go long spells without using the outboard... and ethanol seems to enjoy pulling my chain for that.)

I'm very unused to high speed in small boats, so the couple of times we've cranked it up (after the break-in period)... I've had to catch my breath a bit. It runs like a scalded cat!

-Chris

Had a Tohatsu 18 4 stroke for a couple of years. Had one minor problem with it shortly after purchase but no problems after that except for some issues with the carburetor which was my fault. I did replace it with a Mercury because we were cruising Mexico at the time and we couldn't find Tohatsu parts locally. I bring this issue up because if you are, or plan on, doing any long term cruising outside the U.S. or Canada check out parts availability. We were stuck in port for a couple of weeks trying to get parts shipped down from the United States. Found that Mercury and Honda parts were easy to get.

My understanding is that Tohatsu built Nissan Outboard (no longer made) and that all Mercury's 30 hp and under are / were made by Yamaha.

My understanding is that Tohatsu built Nissan Outboard (no longer made) and that all Mercury's 30 hp and under are / were made by Yamaha.

No, Mercury's 30 hp and under are built by Tohatsu. No way in the world, Brunswick would ever allow Mercury to buy from Yamaha. Same reason no Volvo IPS and instead just Zeus.

I've been running my 1988 Tohatsu 5HP 2 stroke for 5 years now completely trouble-free. It gets used 3-5 days a week between 10 minutes and 8 hours at a time on the sailboat. In spring I pull it out of the basement, and start it up on the 3rd pull for the 6 hour trip to my slip. In the fall, I do the same trip and put it in the basement right after. It is not smooth and quiet compared to a newer motor, but other than hurricane water ingress, the only time it didn't work was when I left it at home.

Newer 4 strokes do not seem to be as bulletproof, but I would certainly give Tohatsu another shot for my next motor. Mercury parts also mostly work, if you are worried about spare availability.

A number of mercury engines were made by Yamaha through an agreement that lapsed a number of years back.
My Yamaha 115-4 stroke was one example that we could easily see when rafted up with a 115 Mercury and took both engine covers off.
Same motors although Merc did add a different lower unit gear case.

I have a 15 hp Honda, electric start and love it. 5 year warranty. The only mistake I made was to not buy a 20 hp, it is identical to the 15 except for the carburetor but the extra 5 hp would help precisely when needed, to get the load dinghy on the step. If you are looking for this size, get the 20.

I have been following this thread with interest. I have a Honda 8hp 4-stroke that came with my boat. It has electric start, electric tilt, and has not been taken care of since it was purchased new by the PO in 2010. I haven't done any better at maintaining it. Until yesterday, it hasn't ever received a fresh water rinse in its lifetime and I can find no records of any servicing done. It has spent its life sitting outside in the weather since 2010. Despite this, the engine has started and run extremely well.

I pulled it off the boat a couple weeks ago and stuck it in my garage. It had not been run since last August. Yesterday I stuck it in a bucket of fresh water and tried to start it. It took a bit of patience and would start, run rough, and then quit if I added any power. Eventually, it started to run really well and now will start right up.

I have no problems with the motor except for two issues. The first is that the thing is ungodly heavy. With no trailer for the dinghy, I had to man-handle the motor off the dinghy and wrestle it up to my SUV. The second issue I have with it is that it for as long as I have owned the motor (under a year) it is unable to get my 135 lbs RIB up on a plane regardless of the load in the dinghy.

Having a gas powered outboard is a real inconvenience on a diesel powered boat. It seems pointless to have a heavy gas powered outboard that won't get the dinghy on a plane. Better to go with a lighter motor or electric. For close to the same weight, I could get a 15hp without electric start and power tilt that would plane the RIB. For just a bit more weight I could get a propane powered 15hp and be done with gas all together.

Having a gas powered outboard is a real inconvenience on a diesel powered boat. It seems pointless to have a heavy gas powered outboard that won't get the dinghy on a plane. Better to go with a lighter motor or electric. For close to the same weight, I could get a 15hp without electric start and power tilt that would plane the RIB. For just a bit more weight I could get a propane powered 15hp and be done with gas all together.

Even with a propane outboard you still have to carry fuel.

"Having a gas powered outboard is a real inconvenience on a diesel powered boat"

FWIW - I never had any issues with gas powered dinghies and 'toys' on a diesel powered boat. It always worked out real well in our usage.

"Having a gas powered outboard is a real inconvenience on a diesel powered boat"

FWIW - I never had any issues with gas powered dinghies and 'toys' on a diesel powered boat. It always worked out real well in our usage.

yeah, I just hate dealing with gas and gas tanks. However, if we decide that we need to be able to use a RIB that planes, my choices will be gas or propane and likely 15hp minimum.

Well first, how much do you weigh? Just kidding. I would suggest just buy a larger outboard that can be serviced anywhere and that will do what you want. It will be yours for a long time. One more question, do you like the dinghy? If not, all bets are off and window shop at the docks what combination you like the looks of and chum a ride. There is not just one "right" answer.

Back
Top Bottom