Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #21

City: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
What I was thinking was that 27 grand to install a device that costs five times less ($5450 FOB) is a steep markup. There is a little more cost in hooking it up to the existing wiring and running a new 115 Volt 50 amp power service connector to the dock, say 60 feet plus manual switch over. You are not going to change the voltage and frequency very often, say after going across an ocean so an automatic switch seems more to fail to my way of thinking than manual. I called Visecomm Industries at 262-767-9032, told them you needed 220 volts 50 hertz on the trawler and the dock supplied 50 amps at 115 volts 60 hertz, all single phase. What you want is a KSS6050 (solid state, no moving parts). It is 7.5 inches wide, 24 inches deep and 21 inches high with a weight of 140 pounds. Shipping weight is about 200 pounds from Wisconsin. This equipment can handle a 20% variation in input voltage so that's also good considering how bad voltage at a dock can vary. Also, check on this, but I believe this device also functions like an isolation transformer so you to not have that horrendous problem of electrolysis that can eat up the metal in a boat.
Thank you very much for getting this info for me!!! Is this device also a convertor? Is it less expensive than the Aspea? I think the guy that I spoke to said that the convertor price is $22k. Are you saying that it is really only $5450 because that would be a huge markup. Is Visecomm Industries a company that sells their own convertors or are you asking them about the Aspea KV15?

GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Thank you very much for getting this info for me!!! Is this device also a convertor? Is it less expensive than the Aspea? I think the guy that I spoke to said that the convertor price is $22k. Are you saying that it is really only $5450 because that would be a huge markup. Is Visecomm Industries a company that sells their own convertors or are you asking them about the Aspea KV15?
Try these guys out...

Shore Power Options & Accessories Magnus Marine

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Ok, I googled it. It is a convertor. Did they tell you the price of this one? It says that it has a built in isolation transformer.

Are you an electrician by trade?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Sure did. Thanks for the info. Seems they also have a convertor. I have no clue how to know which company is best. Not even sure now if I should order it myself and get someone to install it or let them order it. Maybe I will call tomorrow and compare prices.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Sure did. Thanks for the info. Seems they also have a convertor. I have no clue how to know which company is best. Not even sure now if I should order it myself and get someone to install it or let them order it. Maybe I will call tomorrow and compare prices.
My guess is that for you.....just plan on taking the vessel you choose to one of the top yards in whatever part of the country you decide...give them a list of your wants and expecttions....open your wallet till it bleeds and sail off into the sunset with a huge smile and not a care.

Some of us are in the position to know what we want but have to makeshift things from radio shack and home depot just to get our boats underwy everyday. Late nights of reading and tinkering gets old day after day.

So while it is fun learning all this new stuff...at some point it's going to take a coordinated effort to get what you want out of a myriad of systems and if you have the coin...let a pro project manager do their thing...
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Wisconsin
Quote:
Ok, I googled it. It is a convertor. Did they tell you the price of this one? It says that it has a built in isolation transformer.

Are you an electrician by trade?
I am a civil engineer.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Who ever does the work should have a copy of ABYC Standards E-11 (ANS) 2012. This is the electrical code for boats. https://abyc.site-ym.com/store/view_...asp?id=1445838 If they do not have a copy of this, find someone who does.
It's sort of like the The National Electrical Code (NEC), or NFPA 70, for the safe installation of electrical wiring and equipment in in the United States. National Electrical Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #28
Veteran Member

You can ask Visecomm Industries if they sell to the military. Afghanistan has 50 Hertz 220 volt power and Iraq has 50 Hertz 230 volt so a lot of this type of equipment is sold to the military who have high standards
Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

GG since you are in Real Estate, you must know a few contractors. Ask for the name of a good electrician and give him a copy of
AC AND DC ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS ON BOARD BOATS - Published July 2012 (American National Standard) published by ABYC E-11 (ANS) 2012

This is much like the National Electrical Code (NEC), or NFPA 70, which an electrician has to understand, so ABYC E-11 would be something they would also understand. Maybe the electrician could get into boats and make some good money. The standard costs $195, which seems expensive, but maybe not if you have someone you can trust to give you an honest estimate.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
GG since you are in Real Estate, you must know a few contractors. Ask for the name of a good electrician and give him a copy of
AC AND DC ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS ON BOARD BOATS - Published July 2012 (American National Standard) published by ABYC E-11 (ANS) 2012

This is much like the National Electrical Code (NEC), or NFPA 70, which an electrician has to understand, so ABYC E-11 would be something they would also understand. Maybe the electrician could get into boats and make some good money. The standard costs $195, which seems expensive, but maybe not if you have someone you can trust to give you an honest estimate.
I would think going to a yard that specializes in makeovers of yachts would be a much simpler approach.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #31
FF
Guru

"Some of us are in the position to know what we want but have to makeshift things from radio shack and home depot just to get our boats underwy everyday. Late nights of reading and tinkering gets old day after day."

I would have to disagree about "makeshift" , many box store items are superior to "Modern Marine" boat items.

One example would be flaired copper tubing for FW systems compared to marine clear plastic water hose that grows grass inside .

The OTR truck and RV folks have other items that are solutions for common boat problems that beat "marine yard pro installed " by miles.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Some of us are in the position to know what we want but have to makeshift things from radio shack and home depot just to get our boats underwy everyday. Late nights of reading and tinkering gets old day after day."

I would have to disagree about "makeshift" , many box store items are superior to "Modern Marine" boat items.

One example would be flaired copper tubing for FW systems compared to marine clear plastic water hose that grows grass inside .

The OTR truck and RV folks have other items that are solutions for common boat problems that beat "marine yard pro installed " by miles.
All true and I should have used "finger dock engineer" rather than makeshift....
Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Who Does Good Work And Is Honest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would think going to a yard that specializes in makeovers of yachts would be a much simpler approach.
She should ask whoever does the work to show her their copy of AC AND DC ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS ON BOARD BOATS - Published July 2012 (American National Standard) published by ABYC E-11 (ANS) 2012.

Finding a good honest electrician is like trying to find a good honest automobile mechanic. Ask a lot of boat owners in your area. Boatyard owners also are a source, but they may be in the business so the answer could be biased. Ask a marine surveyor. Maybe a marine architect in the area.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
She should ask whoever does the work to show her their copy of AC AND DC ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS ON BOARD BOATS - Published July 2012 (American National Standard) published by ABYC E-11 (ANS) 2012.

Finding a good honest electrician is like trying to find a good honest automobile mechanic. Ask a lot of boat owners in your area. Boatyard owners also are a source, but they may be in the business so the answer could be biased. Ask a marine surveyor. Maybe a marine architect in the area.
I'm not talking about some local yard or boat electrician working out of a van...I'm talking yards that cater to redoing the interior of mega yachts.

GG is talking about a shore ower connection that may cost more than my whole trawler.....different ballgame and letting some local yard who can barely handle a builge pump rewire isn't what I had in mind.

I agree with the marine architect...especially if GG can't put the pieces togther where a project manager could take over...at least then the NA could hopefully start a smooth transition of the boat.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #35

Yes, westwinds I am in real estate, and development/construction at that, but, I know nothing of boat construction. I have heard so many speak of "house electricians" pretending to know marine electrics. I would be very nervouse about hiring my house electrician to work on my boat. But, I also deal with a lot of jerks who try and get over on me because they think I'm a "stupid female", so I try to be as informed as I can with everything and always get more than one opinion as to not put myself in a position to be taken advantage of. I have spoken to an electrical yard in Florida and an electrician in New England. They both seem to be in the same range and speak of the same equipment needed. A couple other electrical yards here in New England that I spoke to had no clue what to do about a European boat, so I figure I had better be very careful with whomever I do end up going with.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #36
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I am curious... Is there no boat in US waters with US electrical that suits your needs?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes, westwinds I am in real estate, and development/construction at that, but, I know nothing of boat construction. I have heard so many speak of "house electricians" pretending to know marine electrics. I would be very nervouse about hiring my house electrician to work on my boat. But, I also deal with a lot of jerks who try and get over on me because they think I'm a "stupid female", so I try to be as informed as I can with everything and always get more than one opinion as to not put myself in a position to be taken advantage of. I have spoken to an electrical yard in Florida and an electrician in New England. They both seem to be in the same range and speak of the same equipment needed. A couple other electrical yards here in New England that I spoke to had no clue what to do about a European boat, so I figure I had better be very careful with whomever I do end up going with.
OK, looks like you have more experience than I do on locating a good electrician. You might consider the services of a marine architect that could draw up specifications and plans for setting this up, then send out to bid. You could hold back some of the money and have the marine architect do the final inspection before final payment.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #38

Quote:
OK, looks like you have more experience than I do on locating a good electrician. You might consider the services of a marine architect that could draw up specifications and plans for setting this up, then send out to bid. You could hold back some of the money and have the marine architect do the final inspection before final payment.
These days, good contractors are hard too find. Sometimes I think it's more luck than skill...

A marine architect to supervise might be a great idea.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #39

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
If you are buying a foreign made and foreign flag vessel to be imported into the US you will have to pay import duty at a low rate of 1.5% of value plus the cost of a customs broker $750.00 to $1,000.00. However there are some exceptions depending on trade agreements. There are no import duries on boats built in Turkey brought intothe US for example.
Then you will pay sales tax on the value to the taxing jurisdiction where the boat will be berthed which is the same for any boat purchased.
Some countries charge a fee to delete the documentation in that country, you need to find out if that is the case and whether you or the seller will pay. Often you need to show proof of this foreign deletion to register or document in the US.
Before you purchase a boat from a foreign country check with a documentation company to find out what you will need for paperwork to document or register in the US. Make sure they know you are bringing a foreign flag vessel into the US and see what paperwork you might need like a Master Carpenters Certificate, a Manufacturers Statement of Origin.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Quote:
These days, good contractors are hard too find. Sometimes I think it's more luck than skill...

A marine architect to supervise might be a great idea.
I have a brother, a general engineer because he has done so many things, who would agree with you as he has to deal with all sorts of contractors. He has gotten very good at defining exactly what he wants in his specifications and the contractor has to come across to get that final payment when he does an inspecton of their work.

I think you will do just great with the trawler, I see careful planning and a desire to learn so you expose yourself here for that reason. There has been a lot of negativity on cruisersforum and here on trawlerforum and I am trying to understand why. You are going for it, but at a measured pace.