Tires (Trawler related, well, sort of)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pull

Veteran Member
This summer we will be taking another 5-6 month cruise up to the Chesapeake/Long Island Sound.

We did not cruise last summer since we were moving into our house. During previous cruises, when we lived aboard and were based out of a marina, I had several fellow live-aboards drive my vehicles to keep them running.

This year I need advice on what to do with my Honda Accord, and Silverado pick up.

The tires on the Honda are already flat spotted from previous cruises, so I'll just replace them next fall. The pickup is new, and the thought of having to buy new tires for it - yikes! I'd rather spend that kind of money on the boat. I can get the Honda into the garage, but not the pickup - too much fun stuff in there already.

I've thought about jacking the pickup just above the driveway surface and using jack stands, but I think that screams "burgle me" to anyone casing the neighborhood.

No burglary problem here as of now, but I don't want to be the first.

What do other cruisers do with their vehicles?

Thanks for any replies.

Mike
Palm Coast FL
DeFever 40

Tires used to get "flat spots" back before radial tires became common. Even then, driving a few miles made the problem go away. Radial tires do not get "flat spots" so you shouldn't have a problem.

I would be more concerned with stale fuel in the vehicles than the tires. Use your favorite fuel stabilizer and ethanol treatment. Startron is my personal choice. Put in the stabilizer, fill the tank, then drive long enough to get the stabilizer throughout the fuel system. Change the oil in the engines shortly before storage and leave the fuel tanks 90% or so full to allow for expansion and minimize condensation.

Another choice is to allow a neighbor to drive your vehicles every week or two. That is, if you trust your neighbors.

Hmm. Good points there High Cotton. You would think that as the owner of not one but 2 Yamaha 4 stoke outboards the gas issue would have occurred to me, but I had not even thought of it.

Thanks.

2 local tire dealers tell me that tires flat spot in Fl - something to do with the heat and sunshine.

I don't know, they might be blowing smoke. I tend to trust info I get here more than what I get from those trying to sell me something. Still, the wap, wap, I get from the Honda Michelin tires says flat spot to me.

Thanks for the advice, and for taking the time to reply.

Mike
Palm Coast FL

I've parked one of my cars (a BMW Z3) for several months, during winter, and have not had problems with flat spots. I think your truck should be fine.
PS - we plan to cruise from Boston down to Delmarva, and perhaps beyond - perhaps we will cross paths :)

Thanks for your post Tiger,

Maybe we'll cross paths

Look for the little DeFever, I'll be looking for you

img_79433_0_0461ebf21ae3b699be8fa0180392bd1d.jpg

Mike
Palm Coast Fl

On most surfaces a small hunk of plywood under the tire is a help.

Not in stopping the flat spot , but in keeping the rubber OK.

Mike wrote:
2 local tire dealers tell me that tires flat spot in Fl - something to do with the heat and sunshine.

I don't know, they might be blowing smoke. I tend to trust info I get here more than what I get from those trying to sell me something. Still, the wap, wap, I get from the Honda Michelin tires says flat spot to me.

Thanks for the advice, and for taking the time to reply.

Mike
Palm Coast FL
*You might ask the clowns at the tire store how about the cars that are stored at the port in JAX.* Bogus information.*

If you are truly worried, and I wouldn't be inflate the tires to 50 - 60#'s or so.* It will take care of keeping the tires round and slow leas as well.

BTW that is how the cars at the ports are stored.* More for slow*leaks than flat spots.

The Wap, Wap you get can come from many things.* One being flat spots but they can be induced by an emergency stop.* The do not have to squeal but if they left rubber on the road you have a flat spot.*A ply separation will cause the same thing. *Improper alignment will cup the edges (inner or outer) and give you the same noise. Many tires have nylon side wall cords and after an over night will thump for the first two or three miles but that is normal and it should disappear.

We have a trusted friend drive our vehicles when we're gone. We've found that is much better for the vehicles in general and the batteries in particular. The computers in the newer cars continue to drain the battery and after a couple of months of no use we find them completely dead. The tires benefit from being driven every so often too. The driving keeps the rubber compounds more supple. Some research on tire manufacturers sites will explain the technicalities which I can't. Also the wheel seals, engine seals, and other rubber parts benefit from occasional use. These things are discussed to a fine point on RV websites. A google search will bring up more than you want to read.

Ken

The tires on my boat trailer lasted only 12 miles (and 10 years) before they wore out.

Thanks to all who replied.

I'm paying attention to Ron (High Cotton) advice about the fuel system. That had completely escaped my get ready to cruise check list. I just get in the car and turn the key.

I'll follow JDs, advice on pressurizing the tires. Thanks.

Mr. 2 bucks is correct about having someone drive my vehicles.

The difference is that I know a lot less about my land neighbors than I knew about my fellow live-aboards.

That's a blessing and a curse. I know less about them, but they know less about me.

Wave if you see the little DeFever. Lo',s of frozen steaks aboard, and always looking for good company.

Mke
Palm Coast Fl.

if you want good info on tires...go to the websites.

when I had an RV the websites for tires were recommending overinflation for long term storage.* That was 6-7 years ago.

Also get them off* moisture was some of the opinions..others not so much...kinda like batteries now.

Back
Top Bottom