Tipping etiquette...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Robin, I have been known to not tip when the service has been poor. I see nothing wrong with that at all. Now, my wife too has a more difficult withholding a tip.

Btw,this has rarely happened. Partly because I don't hold a server responsible for thing which they can't control.

If it's bad enough for me to not tip the waitress, then it's bad enough for me to ask to speak to the manager. I'm likely to tip a lower amount but unlikely to not tip just because the waitress is bad. An attitude problem or rudeness gets a manager involved. However, I've also been known to speak harshly to a manager for their lack of training their personnel.

Also, if it's the kitchen that's bad, I will ask for the manager, and when the manager grants a price concession, I'll tip the waitress even more. I've tipped very generously when things have been so bad the manager comped the bill. The poor waitress is having an awful day if the kitchen is that bad. Once ate at one of the nicest restaurants in Miami and it took three hours. First their computer went down and they had to resort to paper, but we still just sat. Turns out when we finally got their attention, they had lost ours and one other order. We got free meals including dessert. We probably gave the waitress her largest tip of the night.

Geez guys, I just wanted to know how much you give the guys helping you dock.

This forum is entertaining, that's for sure!

The problem of tipping (or even not tipping) in a restaurant is that in most restaurants they split the tips. The good server and the lousy server get the same amount at the end of the shift.

If we happen to get a very good server, we will try to tell the manager about it. Same if we get a really bad server.

The problem of tipping (or even not tipping) in a restaurant is that in most restaurants they split the tips. The good server and the lousy server get the same amount at the end of the shift.

Exactly. And it doesn't get split evenly. Sometimes the kitchen staff gets a cut; sometimes they don't. The customer bases their tip on both the quality of food and service expecting the reward to find its way to the deserving recipient.
It doesn't work.

Sometimes the restaurant holds on to all tips and pays it out weekly,monthly or quarterly. Sometimes there is doubts about whether it all gets paid out.

Then there are issues regarding tax on tips. Another can of worms.

But answering the original question - Here in Australia, I tip only when service is outstanding. Maybe 10% of the time.

When is the US, I tip 5 - 20% depending on the service, as the staff generally get paid about $15/hour less than in Australia.

Geez guys, I just wanted to know how much you give the guys helping you dock.

This forum is entertaining, that's for sure!

We are like a bar full of drunks. Ask the simplest question and the thread takes off in any number of bizarre directions.

Try asking if you should tip while sitting on a composting head and thinking about anchors. Then stand back and watch the fun.

If we happen to get a very good server, we will try to tell the manager about it. Same if we get a really bad server.

Not true at all. That's a rumor and it may happen occasionally (although some legal issues when it does), but it's not the norm. Waitresses and waiters work for their tips.

We tip using cash and leave it on the table (usually in the range of 15 to 20 percent in America, but substantially less in Europe). What happens to the tip is anyone's guess.

We tip using cash and leave it on the table (usually in the range of 15 to 20 percent in America, but substantially less in Europe). What happens to the tip is anyone's guess.

I always wondered who the guy was that was leaving all that money on tables for me to pick up. ;-)

I always wondered who the guy was that was leaving all that money on tables for me to pick up. ;-)

You're the reason I put the tip on my credit card. It also insures accountability, right person credited, reported on taxes, etc. If it's a restaurant that doesn't accept credit cards, then I make sure the tip is collected before I leave, either by watching the server pick it up or by putting it in their hands.

I tip the guys at the fuel pier $10 when I am just getting fuel. $20 when I am getting a pump out also. I do not know if that is fair but they treat me very well when I go there. I have small holding tanks and small fuel tanks(with big engines) so they see me a lot.

At other marinas, when dock hands come out to help, I tip them $5-10 in accordance basically with what Ranger said. The difficulty of the maneuver and the amount of help and the quality of said help.

We have a marina down in Galveston that is run like no other in this area. When I call, they know me by name. When you show up, there are dock hands there to help...usually 2-4. I only go there 2-4 times a year but you would think I was a big baller based on the amount of attention I get. Those guys get tipped and it should be a model in how marinas are run. It is called Pelican Rest in Offatt's Bayou.

I tip the guys at the fuel pier $10 when I am just getting fuel. $20 when I am getting a pump out also. I do not know if that is fair but they treat me very well when I go there. I have small holding tanks and small fuel tanks(with big engines) so they see me a lot.

At other marinas, when dock hands come out to help, I tip them $5-10 in accordance basically with what Ranger said. The difficulty of the maneuver and the amount of help and the quality of said help.

We have a marina down in Galveston that is run like no other in this area. When I call, they know me by name. When you show up, there are dock hands there to help...usually 2-4. I only go there 2-4 times a year but you would think I was a big baller based on the amount of attention I get. Those guys get tipped and it should be a model in how marinas are run. It is called Pelican Rest in Offatt's Bayou.

We have some marinas we've gone to frequently that are as you describe, then every once in a while one that we've never been to is amazing.

Something about the mindset of tipping too. We don't feel forced. We tip because we want to and we tip with no regrets. We've never been sorry we've tipped. It's our tangible way of saying thanks. People appreciate kind words and we give lots of them but at some point they need more.

Back
Top Bottom