Old 12-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #61
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
RE: Tipping a dockhand

Let's put it this way - Would you rather tip the dockhand who helps you dock your boat or some woman living in "the hood" and cranking out babies one after the other, each with a different father?

Because, if you have an income and are paying taxes, that's exactly what you're doing. At least with the dockhand, he or she is doing something of use and will usually thank you, not demand more.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #62
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
rwidman wrote:
Let's put it this way - Would you rather tip the dockhand who helps you dock your boat or some woman living in "the hood" and cranking out babies one after the other, each with a different father?

Because, if you have an income and are paying taxes, that's exactly what you're doing. At least with the dockhand, he or she is doing something of use and will usually thank you, not demand more.
*Your example makes no sense.* You have to pay taxes so you don't have any choice as to where that money goes whether you agree with where it goes or not.

Tipping is purely voluntary and you direct where the money goes.* So implying that tipping has a better effect than paying taxes is apples and oranges.* If I could direct my taxes to benefit only people who have jobs I would do so.* But I can't.* So there is no relationship between the two at all.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #63
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Tipping a dockhand

In the Puget Sound there are only a few marinas that have dock hands.* The few that do, after hugging and kissing them because I am so happy to be tied back up to a DOCK for some reason they are in a hurry to run off.* The Everett marinas is UNION so their base pay is higher than average, and they very seldom do anything extra for us.*
Since all of my sons worked and/or own restaurants. I tend to tip high, 20% CASH, as I know the base wage is low and tips is what they live on.* I tend to tip in CASH, rather than on the card so they have money in the pocket and most is not recorded as income.* I find tipping on the high side especially in places we frequent we usually get better and fast service.*

In Seattle I have to tip high as many of the restaurant employees know us, and in not at least the last name as our restaurant are very well know, and last thing I want is my sons to heard their father is a cheap low tipper.* When we at a family restaurant we leave a tip equal to what the meal would have cost.* I alwasy make sure I have small bills to tip and give away.* I hate change as chnage wear our my pockets, so I give it away.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Tuesday 27th of December 2011 01:01:53 PM
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #64
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:I tend to tip in CASH, rather than on the card so they have money in the pocket and most is not recorded as income.* I find tipping on the high side especially in places we frequent we usually get better and fast service.*
You do realize, right, that in almost every case in every restaurant the tips patrons leave go into a pool and that pool is divvied up among the wait staff, cooks, table-clearers. dishwashers, etc.* I've been told many times by wait staff members that this is done so that the people in the restaurant who don't benefit from tipping because they never come in contact with the customers get some of the reward.

So in almost all cases it makes no differenc whether you leave cash or put the tip on the credit card since whatever you leave and however you leave it is pooled and then divvied up among the staff.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:Phil Fill wrote:I tend to tip in CASH, rather than on the card so they have money in the pocket and most is not recorded as income.* I find tipping on the high side especially in places we frequent we usually get better and fast service.*
You do realize, right, that in almost every case in every restaurant the tips patrons leave go into a pool and that pool is divvied up among the wait staff, cooks, table-clearers. dishwashers, etc.* I've been told many times by wait staff members that this is done so that the people in the restaurant who don't benefit from tipping because they never come in contact with the customers get some of the reward.

So in almost all cases it makes no differenc whether you leave cash or put the tip on the credit card since whatever you leave and however you leave it is pooled and then divvied up among the staff.

*In some cases the restaurant owner will deduct the credit card fee from the tip.* I tip cash.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #66
Guru

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:......................* I tend to tip in CASH, rather than on the card so they have money in the pocket and most is not recorded as income.*
Tips are supposed to be claimed as income and tax paid.* When a person cheats on his or her income tax, the rest of us are paying the difference.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #67
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Quote:
Keith wrote:
Hmmm... that reminds me. We didn't get the "tip letter" this year from the marina. For the last few years we got a letter saying that they were going to add $X to our bill to tip the marina staff for the year. If we didn't want to participate, we had to contact the office.

I really hated that idea, and always objected and didn't get charged. The marina staff around here does nothing specifically for me, and I don't see the need to tip them at Christmas for doing their normal jobs. Now if they DO help with something like bringing ice to the boat, I tip them right then.

I guess enough people griped that they stopped the practice, or just forgot. Or maybe the charge will just show up on my next bill. Do any of you see that kind of policy at your marinas?
*Maybe they just excluded you...I got the letter!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #68

Quote:
Marin wrote:Phil Fill wrote:I tend to tip in CASH, rather than on the card so they have money in the pocket and most is not recorded as income.* I find tipping on the high side especially in places we frequent we usually get better and fast service.*

*Not in any restaruant that I have ever worked.* The only places that do that are cheap SOB owners.* They want to pay everyone dirt cheap.**

Surely I have had waitstaff share a tip if I in the kitchen went overboard in making sure some odd request got taken care of.

Any waitstaff that wants to make a career out it would never work in a pooled tip place.* It encourages slackers.* You pay the price for your coworkers stupidity.

Now a good team (Front waiter, back waiter, busser, sommelier, runner, host) they might pool tips within their team, but for the whole house to pool is the a bad sign.*

Kitchen staff and dishwashers sharing in the tips creates a bad situation.* You never want your kitchen staff to motivated by tips.* They would double the portions and hand out free food.*

Sure you have managers and owner's are around, but the front and back seperation should be like the Executive, Judicial and Legislative branches of government.*

I have 15 years in Hotels (Ritz Carlton, Hyatt), have worked New York City and own my Brewery pub now in Colorado.* I have a culinary arts degree from the Culinary Institute of America.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #69
Scraping Paint

All I know is what I have been told by wait staff members, not just in Seattle and Puget Sound restaurants but in restaurants (upscale, middle of the road, taverns, and drive-ins) in Wichita, Charleston, Tulsa, El Paso and Chicago. I've made a point of asking as it's interesting to me to hear how things work in other industries. Almost without exception the waiter/waitress has told me the employees pool their tips. Same thing, by the way, at the places I've gotten haircuts.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 AM   #70
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Quote:
Baker wrote:Keith wrote:
Hmmm... that reminds me. We didn't get the "tip letter" this year from the marina. For the last few years we got a letter saying that they were going to add $X to our bill to tip the marina staff for the year. If we didn't want to participate, we had to contact the office.

I really hated that idea, and always objected and didn't get charged. The marina staff around here does nothing specifically for me, and I don't see the need to tip them at Christmas for doing their normal jobs. Now if they DO help with something like bringing ice to the boat, I tip them right then.

I guess enough people griped that they stopped the practice, or just forgot. Or maybe the charge will just show up on my next bill. Do any of you see that kind of policy at your marinas?
*Maybe they just excluded you...I got the letter!!!

*The USPS at work again. Damm it'll probably show up on my next bill. My problem with that is that when you look at your newsletter, the "staff" includes Donna, myself, all the office people, etc. I told her that I don't want to contribute nor receive any of the tips. That mystified her until I explained that "staff" to the newsletter readers includes those people and not the actual worker bees out in the marina.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 AM   #71
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Quote:
Marin wrote:
All I know is what I have been told by wait staff members, not just in Seattle and Puget Sound restaurants but in restaurants (upscale, middle of the road, taverns, and drive-ins) in Wichita, Charleston, Tulsa, El Paso and Chicago. I've made a point of asking as it's interesting to me to hear how things work in other industries. Almost without exception the waiter/waitress has told me the employees pool their tips. Same thing, by the way, at the places I've gotten haircuts.
*Different down here in Texas. Most restaurants don't pool tips, but the waitresses/waiters "tip out" the bartender, if they feel like it. I owned several haircut places and none of the*girls*ever shared or pooled tips. Heresy! They were required to report them to the IRS weekly. That was a joke. $5/week on avg.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #72
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote:
The price of a meal should be the price of a meal.

IT IS , just eat at Mickey D's.

The last time I bought a $1.00 ice cream cone at McDonalds, the cost was $1.12.* Yep a one dollar ice cream cone cost a dollar and twelve cents!

How could that be, you ask?* Well, on top of the state sales tax and the county add-on sales tax, there seems to be a "hospitality tax" on food and beverages sold in restaurants.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #73
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
rwidman wrote:FF wrote:

The last time I bought a $1.00 ice cream cone at McDonalds, the cost was $1.12.* Yep a one dollar ice cream cone cost a dollar and twelve cents!

How could that be, you ask?* Well, on top of the state sales tax and the county add-on sales tax, there seems to be a "hospitality tax" on food and beverages sold in restaurants.

That's usually for things like sports arena fundind or to build a parking deck or a convension center without raising taxes on the local residents. Never heard of it at McDonald's though. Fees like that are usually put on things like rental cars and hotel rooms.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
charles wrote:
Ron, as I was saying in the thread on taxes several months ago, ONLY PEOPLE PAY TAXES corps only collect them.
*I'm getting confused. I thought the Supreme Court has decided that corps are* people.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #75
Guru

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:rwidman wrote:FF wrote:

That's usually for things like sports arena fundind or to build a parking deck or a convension center without raising taxes on the local residents. Never heard of it at McDonald's though. Fees like that are usually put on things like rental cars and hotel rooms.

8.5 % Sales Tax, + 2% Hospitality Tax

Despite some people's opinions, McDonalds is a restaurant and purchases are subject to hospitality tax.

There's anothe 5% tax on liquor by the drink on top of the above.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #76
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:*

*"Hospitality" taxes exist because out-of-towners can't vote.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #77
FF
Guru

there seems to be a "hospitality tax" on food and beverages sold in restaurants.

"Hospitality" taxes exist because out-of-towners can't vote.

Not true , they can VOTE WITH THEIR FEET!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #78
Guru

Keith says: " They were required to report them to the IRS weekly. "

And so they did. $5 per week in tips is reporting the tips weakly.
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #79

Quote:
Last I knew, the IRS either came up with a rule or guideline that*assumed that waitstaff received at least 10% of their sales as tips.*

As owner's we always reported credit card tips, we didn't count the cash in peoples pockets.* Usually the credit card tips exceeded 10% of their gross tips.

Not that it really occurs, but even if you only tip 5%, the IRS*assumes you tip greater than 10%*
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote