capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #22
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Tipping a dockhand

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:
At Christmas I give the crew chief of the marina $100.* He buys lunch for his guys with it.* These guys (I hope) keep an eye on my boat when I'm not around and are always helpful - lending a tool or a hand when I need it.** *

Merry Christmas!

http://tinyurl.com/yan3h4o
This is a very nice gesture and I like the idea in keeping with the holiday spirit.*

Our Marina staff and security are public employees and can't accept gifts.* We look for ways to thank them for their great service throughout the year and always*invite them to attend our dock parties, when off duty.* Very few*attend, just once in a while. *I suspect they are uncomfortable with doing so?* The Harbor master says, what they really like is just being acknowledged, knowing their names, greeting them and a kind word.

I would just remind everybody, that you need to know your local laws and the customs for where you are visiting.* You don't want to be the*"American tourist"*throwing your money around and insulting the locals.

For instance handing somebody a tip,*not in*a tourist area, in Japan is an insult. If given at all, at the very least it must be in an envelope and given discretely, on a table or counter.* In*Korea,*don't be surprised if they hand it back to you with an embarassed look.* It's considered a bribe and is an insult.

In the US, tipping public employees, State,*and Federal employees is not acceptable and most likely*illegal.* Washington State government has very*strong laws forbidding public employees*from accepting gifts.* Marinas*run by Port Districts and*their employees are public employees.* If they were to accept a tip, it could cost them their job.* Probably not what you intended.

:worship:* Merry Christmas Everybody !!* arty:

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Saturday 24th of December 2011 12:55:46 PM

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #23

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
RE: Tipping a dockhand

At our home marine, which is not a transient marina, we do not tip and there is no one to tip. However, when we travel on the Chesapeake, most of the marinas operate as resort type marinas and at any one time as many as 50% and up of the people there are transient for one or two nights. Upon check in, they will always have a dock hand to direct you to your slip, help with lines, power, etc. We will always tip these guys on check in.

John
390 Mainship
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #24

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

In my original post I did say I encouraged you all not to tip. I take that back. Of course you should do what ever you want with your dollars. Tipping iin restaurants is now really not optional. It is part of waitstaff income per the IRS. My hope is that tipping does not become the same at marinas.

In my previous job (flying), I tipped the van drivers religiously. They did something for me that I could not do for myself. Bellhops? No. My bag had wheels on it. Followed me where ever I went.
xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
xfedex wrote:
This is promted by a letter *to the editor in Passagemake Mag*this month. A guy on the east coast encourages us to tip marina employees who help your vessel into the dock. I do not tip and hope others resist.*

So let me see if I understand.* You are asking other boaters not to tip marina staff so you won't look cheap.* Does that about sum it up?*

Do you tip in restaurants?* The person who takes your order and brings you food?* All in a warm, comfortable, and safe environment?* But you don't tip the guy who runs down the dock in the hot sun or cold rain and grabs your line, pushes your boat off the dock, and risks being crushed or falling in the water?

I boat with my wife so that makes one to operate the boat and one to handle lines.* It can be difficult to get into some slips safely with nobody on the dock to help.* I don't need help hooking up the electric or water, but a hand with the lines can be very important to docking without damage.

My boat is woth quite a bit of money.* Possibly more than the homes of the people assisting me in docking.* Typically, I tip $5.00.* Not a lot, but it seems if I can afford to own and operate my boat, I would be thought of as being a cheapskate to stiff a dockhand.

We usually tip the dockhands an additional $20 or $40 at Christmas.*

Don't get me wrong, I would rather see tipping abolished everywhere and employees paid to do their jobs without relying on tips, but it's not going to change in my lifetime so I go with the flow.* You might want to do the same.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
rwidman wrote:But you don't tip the guy who runs down the dock in the hot sun or cold rain and grabs your line, pushes your boat off the dock, and risks being crushed or falling in the water?
I have yet to see a dockhand--- granted there aren't many out here anyway--- who would risk any part of himself to save your boat.* He'll do the other stuff-- perhaps in hopes of a big tip--- but when it comes to actually putting himself at risk I think most boaters will find themselves on their own.*

I've watched one or more dockhands at places like Roche Harbor out here actually back away if a boater has misjudged a docking or the current is about to mash his boat up against a piling or whatever.* I'm not blaming them--- I would too.* But this notion of the heroic dockhand risking all to save your boat is a bit hard to credit, at least from what I've seen out here.

Perhaps it's different in other regions.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I tip whenever I feel the person has provided "attentive" service. Define that as you wish. But the people who say "I don't tip someone for doing something I could do myself" are using flawed logic. That is EXACTLY the reason why you tip. They are doing you a favor...it is not a necessity! That is what makes it "nice". Let's use that same logic. You see someone who might have a handicap getting groceries into their car and you help them....would you accept a tip from them????!!!!! You are doing something for them that they could not do for themselves.... Anyway, if I am just getting fuel, I tip 5 bucks. They simply "hand you" the fuel nozzle because it is against the law for them to pump it for you. I am pretty sure they would if they could. But they did wrestle the hose and do EVERYTHING for you(yes your lazy ass could do it yourself but you didn't) and all you have to do is insert the nozzle and squeeze the trigger. If they pump out my holding tank, I give them 10 bucks....it is the least I can do for them to come into intimate contact with my (and my guest's) excrement!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #28
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

I have a story on Tipping:

I took my son on a 4day fly-in fishing trip ( Great Slave Lake ) in the NWT for some Lake, Walleye and whitefish. The trip was in the range of US$7K everything included. I was told that there was no phone service so use a SAT phone if needed to call home, a small fishing supply store which dealt with cash only so bring some. Anyway, we flew from Edmonton to YellowKnife and then float plane to the Lake. On the second day, the Lodge owner said "Please don't tip the guides until the last day of your expedition because you will not see them for the rest of the days of fishing"..

"TIPPING THE GUIDES"...hmmm..It never even occured to me*:clueless:.

I asked my son if he had any money on him and he had CAN$25 and I had CAN$50 so I thought that would be just great.. Saved my bacon. I told my son that we can't buy anything in the store cause we needed to keep it for the guide. I then asked around with some of the other Fishermen just to see what was the norm for tipping. One fellow told me US$50/day another told me between US$70 -$75/day. I was in a panic. There wasn't any ATM there to pull some cash out.. we were whooped.

I was asked by the guide on the second last day if anyone mentioned "tipping the guide"... I said "oh ya.. I will give it to you tomorrow. The next day he asked again and I said when we get back to shore, I will run up to the cabin and get the money.

We'll needless to say, it was a lot of back tracking and promises but it all ended up okay.*

Lesson learnt for the next fly-in ( hunting or fishing ) trip.

Just recently I took my wife out for breakfast and it was in the loft of a country resturant which meant the waiter brought the food on a plater up 35 stairs, while the waitress gave us coffee. The cook was downstairs working hard to make me happy. Hmmm who deserve the tip I wonder.

I tip at resturants, hotels, docks wherever I know someone is going out of their way for me. I don't tip where I get bad service.

One final note: my company gives me a great tip every year for doing my job and I can tell you I get paid well for what I do but that tip pays for things like a 38' 5th wheel, a Dodge 3500, a dresser motorcyle, two UTV's, the 38' OA with lots of other toys. Would I give back my tip.. NO WAY hahaha*:devilish:. It is my toy fund.*

Anyway here with family while the yacht is on the hard and it is all great..

Merry Christmas everyone*:hungry:
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #29

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Quote:

xfedex wrote:
This is promted by a letter *to the editor in Passagemake Mag*this month. A guy on the east coast encourages us to tip marina employees who help your vessel into the dock. I do not tip and hope others resist.*
rwidman, perhaps you missed my post just above yours. I restated my position.rwidman wrote:
So let me see if I understand.* You are asking other boaters not to tip marina staff so you won't look cheap.* Does that about sum it up?*

No.

Do you tip in restaurants?

Yes.

The person who takes your order and brings you food?* All in a warm, comfortable, and safe environment?*

Yes. Even if the food is cold and the restaurant is cold and noisy. It is often not the waiters fault. Tipping in restaurants *is expected.

But you don't tip the guy who runs down the dock in the hot sun or cold rain and grabs your line, pushes your boat off the dock, and risks being crushed or falling in the water?

That situation has not come up .

I boat with my wife so that makes one to operate the boat and one to handle lines.* It can be difficult to get into some slips safely with nobody on the dock to help.* I don't need help hooking up the electric or water, but a hand with the lines can be very important to docking without damage.

I agree.

My boat is woth quite a bit of money.* Possibly more than the homes of the people assisting me in docking.* Typically, I tip $5.00.* Not a lot, but it seems if I can afford to own and operate my boat, I would be thought of as being a cheapskate to stiff a dockhand.

In the beautiful northwest, I do not believe you would not be considered a cheapskate.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather see tipping abolished everywhere and employees paid to do their jobs without relying on tips, but it's not going to change in my lifetime so I go with the flow.* You might want to do the same.

I also try to go with the flow, especially in a 7 kt boat, but some times the curret is not going where I want to go.
xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Ocean Breeze NL wrote:

I tip at resturants, hotels, docks wherever I know someone is going out of their way for me.
*I would too but only if a person truly went out of the bounds of their job to help me.* A waiter climbing 35 steps to bring you your meal in the restaurant he works in is, in my view, not going out of their way for you.* That's their job, to climb those 35 steps and bring you your meal.

The fuel dock guy who takes your lines, the dock boy who helps you tie up, they are not going out of their way for you.* They are doing the job they are being paid by their employer to do.* As such, I would never tip them.

Now if the fuel dock guy puts a couple of barrels of fuel in his skiff and motors out to where you were bobbing around in the bay because you'd managed to run out of fuel, that is most definitely going out of his way and is above and beyond the scope of his job.* And that is certainly worthy of a reward.

But people doing the jobs they were hired to do?* Their reward is their paycheck.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #31
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Marin wrote:rwidman wrote:But you don't tip the guy who runs down the dock in the hot sun or cold rain and grabs your line, pushes your boat off the dock, and risks being crushed or falling in the water?
I have yet to see a dockhand--- granted there aren't many out here anyway--- who would risk any part of himself to save your boat.* He'll do the other stuff-- perhaps in hopes of a big tip--- but when it comes to actually putting himself at risk I think most boaters will find themselves on their own.*

I've watched one or more dockhands at places like Roche Harbor out here actually back away if a boater has misjudged a docking or the current is about to mash his boat up against a piling or whatever.* I'm not blaming them--- I would too.* But this notion of the heroic dockhand risking all to save your boat is a bit hard to credit, at least from what I've seen out here.

Perhaps it's different in other regions.

I saw one lose a shoe and risk a serious foot injury (honestly he shouldn't have done this) while keeping one boat from hitting another at my marina.* They have gone in the water and they have lost radios and cell phones to the water.

They will hop on a boat and dock if for the owner if necessary.* Not every one of them, but most have a great attitude about helping the marina slip holders and dry stack customers.* They are friendly and know our names.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #32

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan

I am conveinced to be cab driver in Japan you must have flown at least one successeful kamakaze mission. Tipping, I tip if the dock hand is there waiting for me and handles the lines so the wife or I don't have to. I give them a five spot and more often than not they then help with water and electrical connections.
awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Bradenton, Florida
Vessel Name: Island Spirit
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras LRC 48'

Honestly I have never thought of tipping Dock Hands for Fueling or docking but now that you bring it up I will be more conscience. *I was a waiter for many years and as a waiter I only made $2.01 an hour plus tips when the cooks made $7-$8 per hour. *Because of being a waiter in a former life I tip heavily at restraunts 20%-25% and we give Christmas Gifts to our regular servers at restraunts we frequent. *This was many years ago but most other professions make min wage or above min wage except waitstaff, that is why tipping is expected in the US and while many other countries do not tip because their servers are paid a bigger average wage. *Believe me when I was a server we fought over or actually I bribed the Hostess to not seat me folks from Canada or England. *Ok I know this is in bad taste but the going joke was "What is the difference between a Canadian and a Canoe" ??? * * "A Canoe will Tip" *LOL.

oh jeeze here goes the hate mail. *
Otisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #34

City: Lake Arthur
Vessel Name: Sabi
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 32' Classic

At my last marina they automatically included a tip on my december bill as a Christmas tip for all the workers. I thought that to be very presumptous of them and i resented it very much.
hogrider46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #35

City: Lake Arthur
Vessel Name: Sabi
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 32' Classic

On the other hand the dock hand that helped me tie up and handled the duties of pumping out and helping me fuel up I did tip a five spot. I just hated being extorted a Christmas tip
hogrider46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Cochrane, Alberta
Vessel Name: Painters Cove
Vessel Model: 1997 Bayliner 5788

re Canadians and tipping canoes

I was born and brought up *in Scotland , *have made Canada my home for the last forty odd years and starting 3 years ago, now winter in *the Phoenix area. *It wasnt till we spent time in Arizona that we first heard the comments about Canadians being cheap tippers . My own observation is that there are cheap and generous people in every nationality, but nevertheless this belief *seems *so widespread that there must be some truth to it. Personally I *always tip in restaurants, between 10% and 20% based on service received and usually tip dockhands who are helpful.
We are continually impressed by the level of service and friendliness we find here(in Arizona) *and* maybe if **more Canadians experienced *the same *consistently *excellent quality of service in Canada that we do in America they would be encouraged to tip more generously.

weebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #37
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Tipping a dockhand

Quote:
hogrider46 wrote:
At my last marina they automatically included a tip on my december bill as a Christmas tip for all the workers. I thought that to be very presumptous of them and i resented it very much.
I agree, forced tips just*put me over the edge.**At the restaurants and pubs I frequent,*I regularly tip 20%.**Not because I have to, but because I want to.*Great service and good food*makes it worth it.* When we walk in the door, they greet us by name, pay attention to us, our needs and*behave like they really care.**

IMHO the message I get from a restaurant*or business who have mandatory tips included in the bill is;*Our food isn't particulary good, the service is so - so and we can't keep good help, because we don't pay them enough and you are unlikely to adequately tip our people.* The one exception*I make is for serving large groups, 15 - 20 people.* Often a 12 -15% gratuity is added to the tab, which is*reasonable.

I have many Canadian friends and one side of my*family, who I spend a lot of time with.* I have never seen them not tip,*I think their custom is to tip*in the 10%-15% range.* I will say they are more likely to call a spade-a-spade though.* You WILL get what you deserve, no bones about that!!*

My girl friend is from Spain and she has been here 12 years and still finds the tipping thing repulsive.* Used to be the source of many fights when we went out for dinner.* I got in the habit of using a credit card and including the tip,*just to keep peace in the family.*

p.s. I have heard lately of some establishments, where the manager / owner pools the tips and takes a share for themselves.* I would encourage people not to frequent their business.*

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Sunday 25th of December 2011 05:04:56 PM
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #38
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

All I can say is; sometimes ignorance shines through with those that speak or in this case "type" with assumption being the bases for their intellect. My friend from Trindad had the same concept until he went back home for a visit on a "budget" and realized the cost associated with his visit and reduced his tipping to the several steel drum bands that he once played in and developed his concepts of cheap Canadians. He then realized how much it cost to travel. I would say thank God for the influx of converted Canadian money into the US economy taking into the consideration of it's state right now. Tipping is based on "service" not %'s both US & CAN. I for one tip where I go and know many other Canadian that are the same. Elwin
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #39
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Before self-service service stations, attendants pumped the gas, washed your windshield, checked oil and water levels, and if asked, the tire pressure, and brought back your change.* Never heard of those attendants expecting tips.
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #40
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

We all run dogsleds most of the year, and live in igloos too.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote