Old 07-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #21

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I felt like I got more than I had agreed to pay for and don't regret sweetening the pot.
Swings and roundabouts I reckon.
How many times in the past have you paid full price for average or less than average results?

Maybe we have been forced to accept average for so long that when we come across someone who actually does their job with enthusiasm and professionalism it feels special, when in reality it is not.

I know that seems the case over here at least, very few old skool tradies left, no shortage of unreliable and very average tradies charging exorbitant rates.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Pensacola, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
You are right. But sadly in America the delivery captain is captain Ron. The delivery is late and the boat is trashed, you get overcharged and he just leaves after docking. When you get a good one you give him a little extra.

Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
You are right. But sadly in America the delivery captain is captain Ron. The delivery is late and the boat is trashed, you get overcharged and he just leaves after docking. When you get a good one you give him a little extra.
I have many friends and know others who are excellent delivery captains and the furthest thing possible from Captain Ron. If you get Captain Ron types, you need to reexamine how you find one and how you determine who to use. Now, there are Captain Ron types who will do it for half what a legitimate Captain will charge.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Wow....once again gross generalizations are getting traction.

It's a really simple concept for a really wide open type profession. Some are full time highly qualified, some are part time , some with hardly any experience to those that are rare finds.....there is really a broad swath of talent out there.

Base any opinion on a narrow thought and that's where it will wind up...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Thanks for all the replies, even if no consensus.

Boat arrives tomorrow morning. We probably will add a bit to the 5 days @ $350/day, plus expenses, pot. My rough estimate is total will be around $2500, so maybe pay $2750 adjusted upwards if his total higher. i.e. plus 10%. That is, if boat arrives clean.

Capt and his helper had one really rough day, 3 days of rain and 1 nice day. No problems otherwise.

Sort of a compromise between no tip and the 15-20% tip that seems to have become the norm in restaurants, etc. But servers aren't paid/don't charge a reasonable daily rate.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Out here in CA, some delivery captains charge more heading north than they do coming south along the CA coast because of the pounding they must endure during the slog northbound.

I'll drive your boat any day for $350 per day plus expenses...and no tipping expected! I might be too high maintenance, though. Your liquor cabinet will be full when I arrive, but your fridge may become a little lighter during evening stops.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Thanks for all the replies, even if no consensus.

Boat arrives tomorrow morning. We probably will add a bit to the 5 days @ $350/day, plus expenses, pot. My rough estimate is total will be around $2500, so maybe pay $2750 adjusted upwards if his total higher. i.e. plus 10%. That is, if boat arrives clean.

Capt and his helper had one really rough day, 3 days of rain and 1 nice day. No problems otherwise.

Sort of a compromise between no tip and the 15-20% tip that seems to have become the norm in restaurants, etc. But servers aren't paid/don't charge a reasonable daily rate.
Sounds reasonable to me. On charter yachts the standard tips are 5 to 15%. At one time crews were expecting more but the industry got things under control. I also look at your tip this way. It's $50 per day. So it seems reasonable when looking at it that way too.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Out here in CA, some delivery captains charge more heading north than they do coming south along the CA coast because of the pounding they must endure during the slog northbound.

I'll drive your boat any day for $350 per day plus expenses...and no tipping expected! I might be too high maintenance, though. Your liquor cabinet will be full when I arrive, but your fridge may become a little lighter during evening stops.

Anytime Al. As long as you have a Breton Red cap on the boat and the liquor cabinet are at your disposal.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The plumbers and electricians I've employed are independent businessmen. See no need to tip.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #30
Guru

I will be the first to say either tip or dont, but will add too....15% like many other tips is like tipping the breakfast waitress for 20 trips the same percentage as the cocktail waitress for 5. Nuts .....as the bar bill for 4 can double the breakfast bill for 8.

Don't feel locked into that tipping norm, just give what feels right for what the captain did...or didnt
Old 07-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Tipping suggestions have crept well beyond 15 percent. Now, 18 and 20 percent are expected! It is out of control. Staff are making more (net) than the owner.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #32

While not trying to stir the pot,I just retired after being an electrician for 45 years.I took great pride in my work,was always neat,and clean,and NEVER received a tip.I have been in peoples attics when it was 115 degrees,so so much for working above and beyond the norm.Unless the capt. had to deal with incredible situations,I would not tip simply for doing his job.Returning a boat clean,if that is the way he found it,is not going above and beyond. I always put down paper in peoples homes if the job was going to create a mess,or if the weather was not nice.I don't consider that going above and beyond,simply returning the premises to the condition as it was found,Again part of the job.
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #33
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Tipping suggestions have crept well beyond 15 percent. Now, 18 and 20 percent are expected! It is out of control. Staff are making more (net) than the owner.
But good staff is what keeps a business in business.
Capt.Bill11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #34
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Both my boys worked their way through university as servers (used to be called waiters) in high end restaurants. Here in Ontario servers make less than minimum wage, students make less again. They both made good money but gave up 20% of their tips to the owner and another 10% to kitchen staff and bus boys. There are other areas of NA where staff work for tips only (legal or not). I do not generally support the whole tipping culture but because of my boys, I do tend to tip servers well.

I have only ever accepted one tip ..... I had just delivered a Fleming 55 with my son who was still in university at the time. The owner had recently lost his son and thought it was great that my son and I worked so well together. I simply could not refuse the $8k tip on an $8k job when he insisted (with tears in his eyes) it go to my sons education.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #35
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Swings and roundabouts I reckon.
How many times in the past have you paid full price for average or less than average results?

Maybe we have been forced to accept average for so long that when we come across someone who actually does their job with enthusiasm and professionalism it feels special, when in reality it is not.

I know that seems the case over here at least, very few old skool tradies left, no shortage of unreliable and very average tradies charging exorbitant rates.
Well, I try not to overthink it. If I'm very pleased, I tip. I was grateful for tips when I was at a different phase of my life and like to return the custom for service that's above and beyond. My money, my call. YMMV.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
They have in restaurants but not in boating and yachting. They did around 2008 but the European group of charterers got into it and set guidelines.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #37
Guru

I used to save people's lives left and right...illegal for me to accept a tip.

Later in life, people would tip me $100 bucks for towing in their 17 foot Whaler for an hour which was about as easy as it got.

What the heck are most of you talking about?

If you didn't get tipped, maybe nobody liked you....harsh but true. I have had 10 different marine jobs since retiring from the USCG, most part time and have been tipped in every one of them.

Did I expect to? Never.......was it nice? Yep..and dozens of tips I refused because of many reasons. Other times, the tip was generous, so I stuck around and saved them a $200 plus yard bill for the $50 they gave me.

So all I can say is when I worked for minimum wage or less saving people's lives or boats...I couldn't accept tips...but when I had a cake job, they came in gobs sometimes.

Life balances out and I figure out no matter how much you make, for whatever reason, if you deserve a tip...take it graciously, you probably earned it.

I was a lousy tipper till I started getting them.....probably now, I started tipping so we'll to cool people, I have given back way more in tips that I ever got.....

And you know what???? It feels pretty damned good when I see that big smile.......
Old 07-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #38

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Beneteau, 44, Volvo D6 Mains
It's a personal decision. Anyone on this board that owns a boat probably worked hard to get it, and my guess is there are not a lot of silver spoons. With that said we are all fortunate to own boats and enjoy this life style. I like to tip anyone that helps me in this process including the the guy at the gas dock, and the delivery person if that situation ever came up with a nice tip. Good karma.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #39

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Beneteau, 44, Volvo D6 Mains
A like your taste in IPA's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
It's a personal decision. Anyone on this board that owns a boat probably worked hard to get it, and my guess is there are not a lot of silver spoons. With that said we are all fortunate to own boats and enjoy this life style. I like to tip anyone that helps me in this process including the the guy at the gas dock, and the delivery person if that situation ever came up with a nice tip. Good karma.
As simple as it gets.....