Old 10-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Semper Fi. I’m a retired Marine. Email me and I’ll give you my phone number. I’d be happy to talk with you about my perspective on these issues. I have a Grand Banks 36 Classic. Bryvmo@aol.com.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Metairie, LA
Welcome to the forum. Everyone has different preferences, it here are some of my priorities: wide side decks and safe access to the bow and anchor- won’t find on a sports Fisher. Reasonable access to engines- ideal is aft compartments as on sailing catamarans, but not found on most trawlers. Our Endeavour 44 catamaran trawler has the twin engines under the two aft berths. Both raise up on hydraulic pistons and access is good, but could be better. Diesel engines, not gasoline, for reliability and safety. I wanted both a bridge deck steering and inside steering, but the Endeavour has a compromise with a hard glass roof over the single steering station, and roll up strataglass side panels with screens, and two opening hatches and opening front windshields. Reasonable speed if needed: I was a lifelong sailor, and could motor at 6-7 knots unless against the wind. When I switched to power, I wanted to motor faster than my sailboat. The Endeavour cruises easily and economically at 9 knots, but can get up to 14-15 at higher rpm if needed. With empty tanks on sea trials, we hit 20 knots.
Look around at a variety of boats. You will develop a good sense of what you want. Good luck
Jack
Jackhulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:24 AM   #23
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepidae View Post
I4.Sportfisher going trawler speeds as a liveaboard?
Presuming you have diesel engines, your sportsfisher won't like going trawler speed. Hard on the engine.

See several threads here, and other info around the 'net, disputing that.

I've read recently Tony Athen's has posted on his site (Seaboard Marine) that mostly diesel longevity is about how much fuel they go through in their lifetime. Less fuel over time (lower speeds) equals longer life.

Usually accompanied by notes about keeping operating temps in the right range, periodic higher-speed operations to blow out aftercoolers/turbos...

Several diesel experts here could probably comment better...

-Chris
Old 10-15-2019, 06:29 AM   #24

City: Hertford, NC
Vessel Name: Viator
I'm a retired marine and we cruise from NC to Fla/Bahamas in the winter. When we purchased our boat, we set aside 25% of the budget for initial improvements and maintenance surprises. This enabled us to upgrade the electronics, add a dinghy and handle all of the shakedown issues without financial stress.

Random thoughts after four years of cruising:
- the range of your boat can be a huge constraint that is set and fixed at the time you purchase the boat.

- the ability to go fast is great when you need to beat a storm or catch a bridge opening
- it would be hard to design a machine that can burn fuel faster than a boat

I'd recommend you look at Great Harbor GH37. These are great live aboard boats and they are very efficient.

Semper Fi! And good luck with your search and transition.
Sheyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Lisbon
Find a quality built boat that you like with good diesels. Once you have a good platform you can make it your own as you go. Quite honestly you will most likely end up moving to something else after you find your “real” needs, and wants. Btw Key West NAS has a marina.
Boatingbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #26

City: Camp Lejeune
Vessel Name: Lucky Star
Vessel Model: 50' Marine Trader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gy Highway View Post
I am new to using forums so here we go... I'll give a snapshot of where I am and blast out some questions, answer what you want.

I retire from the Marine Corps in 3 years, the wife and I plan on living on a boat. I have had a few boats but nothing liveaboard. We want to cruise the east coast, the gulf and maybe into the Bahamas. We have researched boats for a few years but have just recently started going to see them. We seem to like aft cabin motoryachts and convertible type sportfishers , (I am aware that they will offer completely different experiences). We have yet to see a traditional trawler but are open to the idea.

Thoughts, experiences, opinions, advice-
1.35-45' Meridian/Carver type aftcabins, 200-300 price range.
2. Silverton T-series 45' - (If you own Heavy Metal located at Kent Narrows, MD- your boat was amazing and showed us another possibility!)
3. What are some good questions to get the conversation started with a broker?
4.Sportfisher going trawler speeds as a liveaboard?
5.Things to stay away from, i.e. cored hull on some Sea Ray type boats from XXXX-2002?
6.A buyers checklist/or sequence- i.e. have an oil sample pulled before haul out.
7.Engine access that is in the saloon? Seems like a nightmare.
8.Military marinas
9.retired military liveaboards
10. What questions should I be asking?

I know that's a lot but there is a lot to know. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to provide knowledge. Thanks!
Gunny,

My wife and I are USMC retired LiveAboards, home ported at Camp Lejeune's marina. We found our dream boat this year so we have recent experience with the process you are going through .

To help narrow your search make a list of "wants and Don't wants". Update this list as you search and visit vessels. Id items you are willing to compromise and which items are NoGo's or deal breakers.

If this is your first big boat purchase, find a "buyers broker" to help guide you through this process. They really help with answering questions, following the steps and procedures, and closing the deal.

There are several LiveAboard couples at CLNC. Use us as a resource. Contact me for a meeting.

SemperFi
201807 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
checklist, liveaboard, military