Time for the next Improvement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dswizzler

Vessel Name
Delta Swizzler
Vessel Make
1988 58' Vantare
It is time to improve my sanitation system, which is currently a fairly small holding tank. Now I* have made the move*to living aboard, and reside in an area with approved discharge of treated waste. I' been reading about the Raritan systems and had an ElectriSan on my houseboat for years. But interested to know what everyone else is using ?

Read about an Ahead Tank System a Type II MSD and also Microphor that both seem to work on a chlorine based systems. These both look very interesting but haven't seen anything about their cost or maintenance.

Currently have 3 heads going to one holdng tank, plan is to convert one head to an overboard discharge system if possible, that way I am covered no matter where I go.

Thoughts ? Or suggestion and any other systems..the*Airhead in not on the list.

Thanks

Dswizzler wrote:

*plan is to convert one head to an overboard discharge system
*Can you get away with that.

I was told that the pottie police go aboard and dump dye into your toilets to see if it is overboard or holding tank.

Can you just tell them it is out of order?

Just wondering.*Anyone had a visit from the*toilet *cops. *

SD

Perfectly legal in the Bay & Delta around San Francisco and most place around the coast. There are some restricted areas but over all they are still in minority arounf the coastal areas in tide zones.

Years ago we bought a boat with a Micropor MSD. *The treated waste dropped into the bilge and was pumped out by a bilge pump! *This went on for 20 years with no ill effect and no smell. Our main problem with this system was that it was rated for continuous through put, good for two folks forever, but, could be overloaded by four in a short time. *There was no storage to buffer the waste to match the limited capacity. *

cheers,

We have a*4 person Microphor and a 50 gallon holding tank.* In the marina we use the holding tank and are pump out weekly.* Occasionally in the winter when the marina is frozen over and can not get pump, we switch to the Microphor when the tank is full.* The Microphor is like a land septic tank, requires not maintenance or electricity, only chlorine tablets before discharge, and you just use it. **There is a Y value to direct the waste to the holding tank or the microphor.* I took out the direct discharge as there is not need to direct discharge with the microphor

Sounds like a great system, but they are pretty proud of it at the Microphor.They just shot an estimate of $13-15,000 for the system for one head They quoted the MC -50 I think. No idea how many folks that is designed for, but seems really pricey. Any idea what size system you have on board ? I'm looking for two primarily with and occassion 3-4 aboard. I can always use the holding tank if needed, just perfer not to have to go pump out all the time for just the two of us.

skipperdude wrote:Dswizzler wrote:

You can in British Columbia as long as you are not in waters that have been designated as no discharge areas.* Don't know about any US waters, though.

We are about to install an Airhead/Natureshead (haven't completely decided which one as yet, leaning towards the Natureshead).

Marin wrote:skipperdude wrote:Dswizzler wrote:

You can in British Columbia as long as you are not in waters that have been designated as no discharge areas.* Don't know about any US waters, though.

*Here are the discharge rules from this source:*

<cite>www.vind.org/pdf/ssr.pdf</cite>

No sewage discharges can be made with the following exceptions: 1*** If outside a designated sewage area,
the discharge is passed thru an MSD having a fecal coliform count less than 250/1000mL. (129.1 (a)), or
the discharge is comminuted and disinfected using an MSD, and the discharge is at least one nautical mile from shore, or (129.1(e)(i)),or
the discharge is made at least 3 nautical miles from shore while the ship is at its fastest practical speed, or (129.1(e)(ii)), or
if in waters less than 6 miles from shore to shore, the discharge is made while the ship is enroute at a speed of at least 4 knots, or as fast as is practical, into the deepest waters located farthest from shore during an ebb tide, or into the deepest fastest moving waters that are the farthest from shore. This does not apply if a reception facility is available. (129.1(e) (iii))

SF Bay does not allow direct discharge. Even treated cannot being discharged in certain areas like Richardson Bay between Tiberon and Sausalito. Three miles or more offshore is ok.

A USCG inspection includes how we have our Y-valves set. They will issue a citation if the valve is set for direct discharge and not locked.

Dswizzler wrote:Sounds like a great system, but they are pretty proud of it at the Microphor.They just shot an estimate of $13-15,000 for the system for one head
*Have a look at the little Orca. Not sure about the price but they are good units.

So many places are starting "no discharge" that most on board treatment is rapidly becoming illegal.

A lock of some sort is required on a Y discharge valve to please the Coasties.

Natures Head , is no discharge , and becoming more common. We installed one recently and its easy to live with.

Much easier to live with than finding pump outs on the move.

FF wrote:
So many places are starting "no discharge" that most on board treatment is rapidly becoming illegal.
*The great thing about the Northern GOM is the only no discharge zones are in Destin Harbor and inside Key West City. *Not bad, I attached a quote I got from Sevin (They make type II units.) *There are two different quotes one for 3 man capacity and one for 9 man capacity. *I also had a sump pump quoted in case I was not high enough for gravity to drain it out.*

Attachments

• klausem-50.jpeg
    klausem-50.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 86
  • klausem-50 copy 2.jpeg
    klausem-50 copy 2.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 75
Paul, I like your price better the the factory quote I got but looking at your quote it appears thay have the M-50 at the same price for both th 4 man and the 9 man offer or am I reading that wrong ? It seems they just changed to input to the system from 1.6 gallons to Low flow, but offered the same M50 unit.

The actaul size of the Microphor may be the restricting factor.* *

I guess the $1800 toilet is the kicker, I used to laugh at the navy for spending $100 for a toilet seat. I've got a quote coming from Ahead systems. When I get it I'll pm you or post it.

We have Jasbsco electric with macerator which cost 500 to 700 bucks.* We try not to put toilet paper down it which does into a small trash basket, so you can push it to one or two extra people.* Flushing often, using more water also helps, so its liquefied quicker and not one massive big glob flushed down all at once.*
ashamed.gif

Phil Fill wrote:... not one massive big glob flushed down all at once.*
*More fiber in the diet might help with that too.

Man!! I don't want to hear that, I want a toilet that I can load up. Nothing takes the enjoyment out of a good day then trying to clear a turd line.

After this photo was taken, I used a plastic tie to hold the slide lock in the locking position for the*holding tank*outlet.

Attachments

• blackwater outlet.jpg
    blackwater outlet.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 89
swampu wrote:
Nothing takes the enjoyment out of a good day then trying to clear a turd line.
******** :teevee:****
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

On our 4788 Bayliner we have two vacuflush heads that from the factory discharged into a holding tank. The holding tank had a discharge through a macerator, and of course a pumpout

We removed the holding tank and installed a Raritan hold-n-treat system in its place. We used the Purasan based model because of our freshwater heads, but the electr0-scan model does the same thing for salt water systems.

This gives us:

1. a 15 gallon holding tank for the rare time we're in a NDZ

2. a USCG certified treatment system

3. A*USCG compliant lockout panel with keys.

4. Getting rid of the 50 gallon holding tank opened up all kinds of room in our engine spaces.

The cost was about $2500 for all the parts. We had it done as part of a major refit, and I think the labor was in the $2K range as well.

-- Edited by ksanders on Saturday 19th of November 2011 09:01:03 AM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom