Old 08-11-2016, 12:35 AM   #21

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Whats the general consensus on the 3208TA? Some of my reading has lead me to believe these aren't all that hardy/dependable? I have been drawn to that Nordic as it appears from the pictures to be a real cruiser and well built boat.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:40 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Except for one of the OAs, they all look a little Bayliner-ish. That`s no bad thing.
bshillam, I had the impression, right or wrong, you buy to improve and resell. As an admirer of your earlier work I tried your website but got "server not found',could need a restart.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:27 AM   #23

I no longer have a work shop. I now sell real estate and investment options.

Yes a bit Bayliner-ish but we're looking at living aboard for about three months at a time. They appear to have quite a bit more room. Don't get me wrong, love the Europa style but their doesn't appear to be a solid selection on the West coast which fit my criteria very easily.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #24

Ok, several of the makes that I have identified have cored hulls. Not something I am interested in, specially since this one is going to live in the water full time. I also have come to the conclusion that slow boats are out. Does anyone know if
OA 42 are solid hulls?
Maxmum 4600?
What other boats that have enough HP to cruise about 16-18 when needed have solid hulls?
2 staterooms are a must. Second doesn't need to be huge, for my 7 year old son but he will grow.
No detroits, volvos or odd duck conversions for engines
I really do enjoy the 7-9 knot speed but don't always have that time. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:41 PM   #25
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Charter a few different makes/models then make a choice.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:14 AM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
... Drinks 6, feeds 4, sleeps 2 works well for us. Much of the time I'm running solo, so it feels even bigger to me!!...
Works for me! But we can readily feed six, but don't ever stay overnight.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:49 AM   #27

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Whats the general consensus on the 3208TA? Some of my reading has lead me to believe these aren't all that hardy/dependable? I have been drawn to that Nordic as it appears from the pictures to be a real cruiser and well built boat.

3208TA is a solid engine and in my opinion, a desirable engine for the horsepower range. When I narrowed down my engine options I eliminated Detroits, Volvos and also some less frequently seen brands. My final choices in my boat age category were Cats and Yanmars. Scot Free has the twin Cats and I have to say they have been great so far. Easy maintenance and fire of on the slightest twist of the key. Like anything else, make sure they were well treated before you buy (that means a good survey by reputable knowledgable mechanic) and you should be good to go. Recent 4 day passage resulted in total 7.5 gallons per hour at 10 knots, 1800 rpm, with 16. kW generator also running full time.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:35 AM   #28
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
"Semi-planing" is a bad term, as that is the last thing you want a boat to do... the speed at which it is digging the biggest hole in the water, thus creating the biggest possible wake and getting the worst possible fuel mileage. There is an overly broad term "semi-displacement" which usually means a boat that can plane, but barely (the ultimate speed as much to do with engine size and drive train design as hull form).

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:39 AM   #29

Think I am leaning on the OA 42 w/ Cats. However I really cool europa turned up in the PNW I might need to check out first. Time to check them out in person next weekend!
Old 08-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #30

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
We recently went through the same procedure you are currently going through. I can tell you that the best option on our 46 foot Ocean Alexander is the stabilizers. I also like the air-conditioner flybridge. I am wondering what a pain it would be to have to climb a ladder to the flybridge.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #31

Cat 3207TA 435hp

Looking at a boat in a week with the Cat 3208TA 435. From my research it's my understanding it's not a long lived engine plagued with overheating issues. I thought I would reach out and see if anyone has first hand experience with these engines. The boat is no bargain it's not priced right for a repower. But if my study reveals the motors are just not up to the tasks I can always offer based on my findings.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #32
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Here are the top choices so far,
42 Ocean Alexander, from what I understand this is a cored hull including my second choice
4588 Bayliner
Since I have a 42" OA Sedan, that's the only one I'll comment on. As you stated, cored hull, Cat 375s on older models, (I know of problems with 2- 435s) IMO, not the best boat for the PNW. Unless you have the very best fly bridge encloser ever made, it's going to get wet up there. As for the teak in the cockpit, I love it! Holds a secure foot when wet and I don't treat it with anything. When it gets dark gray, just get it cleaned (acid solution) by someone that knows what they're doing. The boat will do everything else you have mentioned. I'm on my second OA 42 Sedan. (2006) Yoy will be hard pressed to find a decent one for the budget you've indicated.

If my cruising grounds were the PNW, I'd definitely have a pilot house model at the top of my list.

Here's a newer OA 42 cruising in the Seattle area. She has a semi displacement hull but the older models I think had a modified vee. (They were a little faster but wouldn't carry the eight the Semi displcements do.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1989.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	56033  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #33

Anyone in Anacortes look at a boat for me and report back?
Old 09-13-2016, 06:00 AM   #34
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
This is a fairly nice model that does it all at a reasonable price. Defever 41, 2 heads, 2 berths, rear stateroom, nice look, well built.

1989 DeFever 41 Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 09-14-2016, 05:44 AM   #35
FF
Guru

"Ok, several of the makes that I have identified have cored hulls. Not something I am interested in, specially since this one is going to live in the water full time."

DEPENDING , on just what the core consists of a cored boat has many advantages.

For speed and stiffness it cant be equaled , IF its the right stuff.

Learn how US and Euro pilot boats are constructed ,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #36

Narrowed

OK
So I have narrowed it down. I am leaning on a GB 42 I really like the use the space, specially as my son grows everyone will have their own space, places to hang as a family and places to enjoy a book, activity etc. I know initially I wanted a bit faster of a boat but after touring a OA 42 with it's tight ER and GB I just like the feel of the GB and ER so much better. So, here are the two I am considering,
42 GB motor yacht
and 44 Defever
both run about the same speed, both are laid out similarly. What say you? I am thinking about flying into Anacortes to check out the available 44 Defever and really crawl around.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #37

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Quote:
OK

So I have narrowed it down. I am leaning on a GB 42 I really like the use the space, specially as my son grows everyone will have their own space, places to hang as a family and places to enjoy a book, activity etc. I know initially I wanted a bit faster of a boat but after touring a OA 42 with it's tight ER and GB I just like the feel of the GB and ER so much better. So, here are the two I am considering,

42 GB motor yacht

and 44 Defever

both run about the same speed, both are laid out similarly. What say you? I am thinking about flying into Anacortes to check out the available 44 Defever and really crawl around.

While I prefer the DeFever Pilothouse model over the one in Anacortes, I know that its higher and flared bow will result in a much drier ride than the GB. Having chartered GBs, that was one of the first disappointments for us. The smallest chop splashed the windshield. The DF is stabilized, which you want in a boat like this. I wonder if it has been repowered or lightly used with such low hours. I really like the inside accommodations of the GB MY with its full width master stateroom. While in the Anacortes area, you may want to drive up to Bellingham and take a look at the GB fleet of NW Explorations, some of which are for sale.
drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #38

I would also be open to a pilot house as well but just have decided after looking at several in person they'd have to be a df or the like.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #39

Funny just about everything I am pulling up is in the Sound so traveling from Seattle to Portland is going to be necessary. I am currently reading up everything I can find about going around the outside as most of the boats I wouldn't be interested in trailering. I have been in 10 ft swells in a 30 ft FD before and don't mind putting a boat through it's paces. Any readings, articles, suggestions or otherwise you'd like to share I'd be open.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #40
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Funny just about everything I am pulling up is in the Sound so traveling from Seattle to Portland is going to be necessary. I am currently reading up everything I can find about going around the outside as most of the boats I wouldn't be interested in trailering. I have been in 10 ft swells in a 30 ft FD before and don't mind putting a boat through it's paces. Any readings, articles, suggestions or otherwise you'd like to share I'd be open.
When I was looking at boats in the Portland area, I decided that I would probably hire a delivery captain to go with me for the trip to Puget Sound. I have never made that trip and since I am new to power boats in general I thought it would be the best choice for me.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote