Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,275
It is time for a new boat!

We've done this before. 11 years ago we ordered and took delivery of a wonderful Sabre 386 that we have sailed in 3 Newport to Bermuda races and cruised between CT and Canada. One method I use to begin getting a handle on a company (both manufacturers and dealer's) is to engage in conversation about the product. I always have lots of questions and I figure that if they are helpful at this stage they are more likely to be helpful later. At least that's the idea... I love to immerse myself in product knowledge anyway and this is a great source of information.
This worked well with the Sabre! That company gets my highest marks for support both before, during and after the sale and warranty period! They are truly awesome and it was easy to discern that when we were shopping...

One of the boats on our list is in fact the Sabre 38 Express. It is on the list mostly due to the fact that Sabre is such a good group of people to work with, not because we are in love with the concept of an express design...

That brings me to the other boats that we have on our list, a working list that is still evolving. One is the Nordic Tug 40 and the others are American Tug's both the 365 and the 395.

All of these are available with both a flybridge and upper "lounge" area. If the Sabre was available in this configuration in a boat below 40' we would be thrilled!

Anyway, we have talked to NT and AT owners for years and we are aware of their enthusiasm for their boats. Aesthetics aside, they are similar conceptually. Both seem to be well built and the time I've spent crawling around in their bilges has impressed me.

Now as sailors we have no real experience in the tug/fast trawler reality so it is time to ask some questions. I placed two calls, one to Nordic Tugs the other to American Tug and explained that I was a potential new customer who had some questions about the product that were not answered on their website. Questions about the reality of cruising at 12 to 14 knots and questions about customization etc.

The difference in response has been amazing!

15 minutes after I placed the call at American Tug, I got a call back from Kurt a VP at Tomco who answered my questions fully with great patience. He forwarded me material to support his answers and even volunteered his cell number for future questions! When they have come up, he actually stops working on boats and answers them! Amazing! I am trying very hard not to abuse the privilege...

Not having heard back from Nordic Tugs, I left a second message.... After a couple of days now I still have not heard back.

Surprisingly, I am having a similar response with their local dealers. One (the American Tug dealer) is doing everything to follow up in a busy part of their season the other...not so much.

It is too early to eliminate NT from the running entirely but they are not doing much to impress me yet. American Tug on the other hand is winning my attention!

No idea yet where this is going to end but we are scheduled to do a quick 2 hour "delivery" on an American Tug 395 next week and we have made contact with the owner of an AT 365 who will take us out too.

I'm beginning to get excited!
Bruce
__________________
Advertisement

Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,093
From what I have seen, both the NT and AT are very nicely designed boats. Neither are what I would choose however if I wanted to run at 14 knots for any length of time.
__________________

__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
From what I have seen, both the NT and AT are very nicely designed boats. Neither are what I would choose however if I wanted to run at 14 knots for any length of time.
These are the questions I am trying to figure out...

Never said what length of time but we are wondering what happens when we head for Maine from the Cape Cod Canal? We are typically in delivery mode when we do this in the sailboat and 20 plus hours later we get there... Would 12 or 13 or 14 knots be tolerable for a long day?
Or even for 3 or 4 hours? Then we can move up the coast in smaller jumps? We're just tired of 20 plus hour deliveries... Or motoring at full throttle to BI to get there before the SW pipes up...

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member
 
City: Mt. Pleasant
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Paws Aboard
Vessel Model: 45 Californian
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 42
You can always slow down in a fast boat but you can't speed up in slow boat.
creekcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
Guru
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
City: Port Credit
Country: Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,012
Can't say anything about the American Tug but last year delivered a Nordic 40 from Michigan to the Hudson ... a pleasant ride at 10knots ..... an ugly, noisy, squatting ride at 14knots
__________________
If you can live with the consequences, go for it - wg
Y'am what I y'am an' thats' all that y'am - Popeye
As God is my witness, I thought turkey's could fly. Mr.C
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Can't say anything about the American Tug but last year delivered a Nordic 40 from Michigan to the Hudson ... a pleasant ride at 10knots ..... an ugly, noisy, squatting ride at 14knots
This would be my impression as well. Not that it can't be done, but not something that I would want to do often.

For the OP, I think that if you want a boat that can make those kind of dashes, I would go with a boat that is designed for it. As creek said, you can always slow down in a fast boat.

I don't know anything about faster boats, but there are folks here who have those boats who can help.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
You may wish to peruse this thread. http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...way-23188.html

John(the customer) is very transparent about the process and he is normally pretty willing to talk off-line if you send him a private message.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #8
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B
All of these are available with both a flybridge and upper "lounge" area. If the Sabre was available in this configuration in a boat below 40' we would be thrilled!
Have you looked at this Sabre?
Sabre 36 fly bridge sedan motor yacht built by sabre yachts of Maine | Sabre Yachts

I have seen two slightly used ones in the past two weeks and aside from the price in Canadian was very impressed.

BTW, you have come to the right place.
dhays who answered above just went through the convert process, sail to power and has covered a lot of angles via his own questions. Search his posts.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Retriever's Avatar
 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 191
Both great boats. I have a 2000 Nordic Tug 37 that I bought through the west coast American Tug salesman (Steve Scruggs...great guy!). If there was a similarly priced brokerage 395 available when I was shopping, my choice would have been more complicated!

I typically cruise at 8 knots burning less than 2.5 gph at 1300 rpm. WOT on my boat is in the 15-16 knot range fully loaded and turning 2800rpm. Max cruise speed is about 12 knots at 2400 rpm. Speed and fuel burn are close enough between the AT and NT to be a wash, in my opinion.

I've done 12 knots for several hours at a time and the boat runs fine. The bow rises somewhat, but visibility is fine. Noise and vibration of course are somewhat higher than at displacement speed, but they're not objectionable. For me, 10-12 gph is the bigger problem...

After 2.5 years owning the boat, I've racked up about 1400 hours underway. Been to Alaska twice, out to Haida Gwaii, and a whole bunch of local Puget Sound cruising. Heading back to Alaska in a week and a half. The boat hasn't disappointed me yet.

The new NT 40 is a nice boat, with a bunch of really good improvements compared to the older 37s and 39s. The increased headroom in the master cabin is excellent, the larger cockpit with better dock access is nice, and the overall level of finish has improved quite a bit since my boat was built.

I was at the Nordic Tug factory yesterday and just forwarded this thread to a contact there. Hopefully he'll respond!
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
You may wish to peruse this thread. http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...way-23188.html

John(the customer) is very transparent about the process and he is normally pretty willing to talk off-line if you send him a private message.
This is a lot of thread to read! I'm working on it...
Thanks!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Have you looked at this Sabre?
Sabre 36 fly bridge sedan motor yacht built by sabre yachts of Maine | Sabre Yachts

I have seen two slightly used ones in the past two weeks and aside from the price in Canadian was very impressed.

BTW, you have come to the right place.
dhays who answered above just went through the convert process, sail to power and has covered a lot of angles via his own questions. Search his posts.
We are looking for newer boats than these...
New is what we are considering now. I'd certainly consider any boat that was "the right boat" but my personal boat maintenance standards are ridiculously high! I have no interest in restoring a boat and at the age of most of these, that is exactly what I'd be doing.

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #12
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,265
Looking for a different boat (used) or one with no previous owner (new)?
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #13
Member
 
City: anacortes wa
Country: california and wash
Vessel Name: american pride
Vessel Model: american tug 36/5
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 22
NT vs AT

I purchased hull 003 from it's original owner 3 years ago on the Detroit river and had it shipped back to the factory for some refits. Already knowing the AT's to be solid well built boats, the idea of getting a fresh water boat with less that 1000 hrs appealed to us. Since owning [AMERICAN PRIDE] I have installed a webasto forced air heating unit, 12 inch touch screen raymarine chart plotter with color radar, 270 watts of solar, new prefinished 3/4 inch hardwood floors in the salon and pilothouse, and a 12 volt freeezer. Why would I put such extensive labor and material coat into a 13 year old trawler? Because the boat has great bones. A great detailer in Anacortes has her red hull looking as though she is a 2016 boat and I could not be more pleased with her performance on the water. The fact that I can talk or text the vice president of the company and receive a reply in hours is a perk I never imagined. NT makes a nice boat to be sure.. What you may wish to ask yo

urself is--How many builds does AT have going vs builds that NT has going. Feel free to pm me with any questions yu may have--- steveandtina
steveandtina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:13 PM   #14
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
This is a lot of thread to read! I'm working on it...
Thanks!
Bruce
Believe it'll be worth your while. Reading your interest in a 14 knot 40 foot boat with flybridge immediately reminded me of this boat. Option that Helmsman 38 with the 450 hp Cummins and it should put a smile on your face.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #15
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Both great boats. I have a 2000 Nordic Tug 37 that I bought through the west coast American Tug salesman (Steve Scruggs...great guy!). If there was a similarly priced brokerage 395 available when I was shopping, my choice would have been more complicated!

I typically cruise at 8 knots burning less than 2.5 gph at 1300 rpm. WOT on my boat is in the 15-16 knot range fully loaded and turning 2800rpm. Max cruise speed is about 12 knots at 2400 rpm. Speed and fuel burn are close enough between the AT and NT to be a wash, in my opinion.

I've done 12 knots for several hours at a time and the boat runs fine. The bow rises somewhat, but visibility is fine. Noise and vibration of course are somewhat higher than at displacement speed, but they're not objectionable. For me, 10-12 gph is the bigger problem...

After 2.5 years owning the boat, I've racked up about 1400 hours underway. Been to Alaska twice, out to Haida Gwaii, and a whole bunch of local Puget Sound cruising. Heading back to Alaska in a week and a half. The boat hasn't disappointed me yet.

The new NT 40 is a nice boat, with a bunch of really good improvements compared to the older 37s and 39s. The increased headroom in the master cabin is excellent, the larger cockpit with better dock access is nice, and the overall level of finish has improved quite a bit since my boat was built.

I was at the Nordic Tug factory yesterday and just forwarded this thread to a contact there. Hopefully he'll respond!
We drove 1 1/2 hours to see a new NT 40 today! It has just arrived from the factory and the dealer warned us that the boat was not "assembled" but promised that we could see it.
We got there during lunch and there was no one to show us the boat so we waited 45 minutes, peeked and left. Dealer had said to simply let them know when we'd be by, we did that but apparently something misfired...

We found it on the docks and took a look. Nice looking design but we obviously couldn't get aboard... My focus is becoming more American Tug centric now.

I'm really looking forward to getting out on the 395 next week. Then I will report back!

I'll take some video of the ride and upload it to YouTube. I'm amazed at the lack of good quality footage while under way with these boats. You'd think in this day and age there would be more.

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:26 PM   #16
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Looking for a different boat (used) or one with no previous owner (new)?
In a perfect world...new. I am still open to the idea of a used boat but it would have to be priced well or in exceptional shape for me to be interested.
We looked at a 2 year old Sabre 42 this week. I'm amazed at how some people neglect their expensive yachts! Most people don't see the things I look for in a boat. That's fine after years of maintaining boats for a hobby and running an auto repair business that specialized in European cars, I'm fussy...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:30 PM   #17
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Believe it'll be worth your while. Reading your interest in a 14 knot 40 foot boat with flybridge immediately reminded me of this boat. Option that Helmsman 38 with the 450 hp Cummins and it should put a smile on your face.
Believe me, I've already peeked at the manufacturers website. I'll read the thread and learn a bunch anyway...
Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #18
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,376
Bruce B

Talk to Steve Scruggs in Seattle about AT boat speed. Two years or so ago he did an AT delivery from Seattle to San Francisco as I recall and was quite pleased with the boats performance at 12 knots or so for the entire trip.

He is a class guy in all respects. AT Seattle/Anacortes should have his contact information or the internet is replete with his smiling face and contact info.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #19
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Bruce B

Talk to Steve Scruggs in Seattle about AT boat speed. Two years or so ago he did an AT delivery from Seattle to San Francisco as I recall and was quite pleased with the boats performance at 12 knots or so for the entire trip.

He is a class guy in all respects. AT Seattle/Anacortes should have his contact information or the internet is replete with his smiling face and contact info.
Is he the one who "blogs" about AT's with links on the American Tug website? I've seen these but not read any yet.
Lots of homework in front of me!
Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #20
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Is he the one who "blogs" about AT's with links on the American Tug website? I've seen these but not read any yet.
Lots of homework in front of me!
Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce

Look up Expedition Yacht Sales, Seattle. They and AT are joined at the hip and Steve is the owner.
__________________

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012