Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #21
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
I've seen many people move both aboard and back on land. As an owner of a GB 42 I think you should look at one. Mine came from Boston through the ditch and up to CA. They are very comfortable, have great head room and economical to run. I've had mine in 20' breaking seas and 60 kt winds so those who say GB's won't take it are wrong. It's the skipper.

Good luck Pappy, I'm 69 and I'm rebuilding my boat as we speak.
What an inspiration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekindle View Post
...(redacted for space)...We realized life is short. We really don't know how short until it's over. For me the ultimate boat would be that brand new Krogen, but the perfect boat is one that allows me and my wife to get out on the water in all the comfort we can, including the comfort of not being financially strapped. The Dream is not the boat, the Dream is the Adventure the boat takes us to.
I wish you all the luck in this next phase of life and look forward to hearing your stories as they unfold.
Jim
Jim,

Damn man!
First, please let me THANK YOU for your service. I have a lot of friends who are firefighters and each of them have their stories. One of my best friends, as well as a co-worker now, just medicaled out with some serious neck, back and shoulder injuries, but your situation....well lets say that if they had a damned flag Smile here, I'd use it about now!

Your final couple of statements:
Quote:
We really don't know how short until it's over
Quote:
the perfect boat is one that allows me and my wife to get out on the water in all the comfort we can, including the comfort of not being financially strapped.

Quote:
The Dream is not the boat, the Dream is the Adventure the boat takes us to.

dang sure hit home square on the button!!

Very good advise.
God bless you and again, thanks for your service.

OD

Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #22
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
As stated earlier, a 36 footer is a little small to live aboard. In all the boats I have boarded, I would recommend something in the 42-44 range for living aboard at the minimum. In addition, it will probably take you a year to find a boat, so keep working and use your vacations and weekends to find one. This is half the fun! Good Luck!

windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote