Tide wrist watch exist where tide state is the prime directive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
For example I have a "Tide Watch" (presumably the company name) from the mid 90's that fits the bill. As the latest programmable date was 1999, these watches became unavailable as the year 2000 approached...an actual casualty of Y2K !

Regardless, as long as one programs in a year that is not a leap year and sets the tide at high when it actually is high, it seems to be accurate. The light on this one stopped working years ago however and wondering if there is anything like it now ?

There are many wrist watches with tide functions but the one's I have seen the tide graph is so tiny and pixelated.

11450-albums846-picture5238.jpg

Or you could just use a number of free apps on your smartphone that works better than the watches.

Or you could just use a number of free apps on your smartphone that works better than the watches.
Of course you can, and I do exactly that....but it's so convenient to just look at your wrist anytime and see a graphic of the tide state rather than fumbling with the phone you have to extract from your pocket.

(realizing of course on an east coast voyage the tide state will change as you go north or south from hailing port area, in which case checking a tide smart phone app is necessary)

Last edited:
I have a Shark Classic Tide watch that has much better detail than most available (but less than the one shown). Problem is it is very, very hard to read in other than broad daylight. Also difficult to change locations in settings.
Yes, for cruising, the smart phone is more valuable because we are constantly changing locations. But for fishing in my homeport where location does not change, nothing beats the watch for ease of use.

Last edited:
But for fishing in my homeport where location does not change, nothing beats the watch for ease of use.
Yep... on phone...remove from pocket, scroll to app icon, press icon, press location, click "week", note times, find next low or high, phone back in pocket, remember what you just found out, or you go thru this all again.

With Tide Watch, rotate wrist and look.

BTW if anyone by some miracle happens to have the original instructions for a Tide Watch (i.e. what I have) it would be interesting to read how to set the "feet" function as I can't remember.

Last edited:
I spent a fair bit of time (and money) exploring watches with tide functions. I have since gotten rid of most of them them. I did keep two however, both Casio G-Shocks. The best is one of their Pro-Trek watches that has a decent tide graph. It is set for my home port so give a pretty good idea of tide state for most of my weekend excursions. It also is just about bulletproof.

An Apple watch has numerous apps that will do that. Much more accurate than those old style ones as well.

So...what is the preferred tide app for an Android phone?

True, but then you'd have to wear an Apple watch. :facepalm:

True, but it is the most popular watch in the world now. If you don't like the Apple, there are lessor brands of smart watch with apps as well.

So...what is the preferred tide app for an Android phone?

Lots of them out there. Here are three that I have found I like.

Tides Near Me
Tide Chart Free
Tide Times Pro - I really like this one. Doesn't give a graph but a nice quick list of tides and currents and an easy interface to select tide station on a map. Very convenient for Puget Sound.

Not a fan of TideCharts

I’ve had this Wenger AquaGraph Tide watch for many years and I like it because of its classic look and Swiss craftsmanship. It’s waterproof to 100 meters.IMG_2743.jpg

In Canada, the C-Tow app has a decent tide chart area.

On my smart phone I also have this along with C-Tow. If you go to the "Other Tide Stations" you'll see many locations listed. I like the graphic, quick to understand and work with:

Tides at Vancouver, British Columbia

I’ve had this Wenger AquaGraph Tide watch for many years and I like it because of its classic look and Swiss craftsmanship. It’s waterproof to 100 meters.View attachment 89052

Nice watch, but the tide function is almost useless in the PNW (or BC SW). We don't have regular 6 hour tides.

I’ve had this Wenger AquaGraph Tide watch for many years and I like it because of its classic look and Swiss craftsmanship. It’s waterproof to 100 meters]
I like it... so went looking on the web and only source I find is Amazon .. with “one to three month” delivery ... WTF ??

Overstock.com had some but now out of stock... the curiosity with theirs was no numbers for the clock however.

Tide graphs and current graphs are device resident in any navigation app. I have Navionics on my iPhone and 2 tablets. Seems very quick and easy. It is easy to check tide and current in a wide variety of locations very efficiently.

Rip curl makes a few great Tide watches, although I liked their older models (10 and 20 years ago) MUCH better than the newer models.

Nixon makes some nice Tide watch’s as well. Nixon like Ripcurl is a Surfing company. You might want to google Surfing watches, as there are lots of surf watches with tide function as Tide is very importatant for surf conditions at most surf spots. ;-)

Also Tissot makes a really nice Tide watch, also made for sailboaters/regatta racing. It’s one of the T-Touch models. The race model, and I think another model has Tide and Compass on it.

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-en/shop/all-our-watches/touch-collection.html

The T-Touch watches are pretty neat, go to 5:50 in this YouTube video if you have never seen how they work: https://youtu.be/usnesRs3kYE

Rip curl makes a few great Tide watches, although I liked their older models (10 and 20 years ago) MUCH better than the newer models.

Nixon makes some nice Tide watch’s as well. Nixon like Ripcurl is a Surfing company. You might want to google Surfing watches, as there are lots of surf watches with tide function as Tide is very importatant for surf conditions at most surf spots. ;-)

Also Tissot makes a really nice Tide watch, also made for sailboaters/regatta racing. It’s one of the T-Touch models. The race model, and I think another model has Tide and Compass on it.

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-en/shop/all-our-watches/touch-collection.html

The T-Touch watches are pretty neat, go to 5:50 in this YouTube video if you have never seen how they work: https://youtu.be/usnesRs3kYE

I owned the Tissot Sailing Touch watch and it is pretty nice. Again, the tide function simply acts as a timer. You set the high tide and it assumes the next low tide will be about 6:12 minutes later. Not terribly accurate in the PNW. Great watch though although I found it was a very big watch and I am more comfortable with smaller watches.

How does it know where you are?
Tides run at different times and heights in various locations.

I like the tide feature on opencpn.
Every green/blue icon on chart is a tide station, click on and tide graph appears.
Magic.

Attachments

• IMG_20190530_080157~01.jpg
    IMG_20190530_080157~01.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I’ve had this Wenger AquaGraph Tide watch for many years and I like it because of its classic look and Swiss craftsmanship. It’s waterproof to 100 meters.View attachment 89052
An update that I ordered the Wenger from what seemed to be the last place on earth that had them available....Amazon...but after a few days they canceled my order. Discontinued, all stock depleted.

But recently a pristine used one showed up on eBay from a watch dealer...so I bought that one...love it...looks so much better than my old digital tide watch and easier to read.

The one advantage of the digital tide watch is it displayed not just the date but also the day of the week and the month (not that I need to know the month but do somethings forget what day it is !)....but the Wenger is so nice I can live without that info.

Last edited:
I just look out the back door. :) But seriously, this makes me think I might like to have a decent wall clock with tide feature. We only have one tide a day here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom