Old 07-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #41
Scraping Paint
City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
RE: Tide grid's

Steve wrote:Hanging around a boat ramp can be very entertaining, I saw one guy launch his boat with trailer attached. The trailer came loose from the ball hitch, no safety chain of course.
They can be a hoot!

The launch with trailer attached would be funny if it didn't almost happen to me a couple of days ago. I have a little RIB that I keep on a small trailer. I attached the trailer to the van and put the padlock through the little hole in the latch lever, didn't bother with the chains since the ramp is only a block away and off I went. I backed into the water then remembered I forgot to put the plug in so pulled out far enough to get at it.

After waiting for the water to drain and installing the plug I walked back to the van and for some reason glanced down at the hitch because it looked funny. Yeah, it looked funny, the hitch was off the ball and pushed forward so the ball was resting behind the socket. Somehow when I attached it I missed capturing the ball but the latch caught and appeared to be normal.

I won't be so casual about hooking up the trailer from now on.*

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #42
Scraping Paint
City: -

The real classic--- I've only seen it happen myself a couple of times--- is when they launch the boat, the trailer, and the tow vehicle.* We've seen a van in one case and a fairly new pickup in the other trundle on down the ramp into the water.* Needless to say, a dunking in salt water won't do one's vehicle any good.

We have always used a chock with the vehicles we've been launching our 17' Arima with since we bought it back in 1987. I have never understood why almost everyone overlooks the safety of keeping the vehicle out of the drink by simply putting a chock under the left front wheel when the trailer's back in the water.* Get out, put the chock under the wheel, launch the boat, pull the chock, get in, and drive back up the ramp.* It's not like it takes time, is complicated, or hinders launching the boat.** I've even had other people at the launch ramp see me put the chock under the wheel and say, "Now THAT's a good idea."* Like I'd just demonstrated the theory of relativity or something.* It seems like a no-brainer to me but maybe it isn't.....

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #43
City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Saw a good one last year.
The fellow forgot to raise the outboard. The ramp is a series of concrete slabs with a 6" gap between each. He pulled the boat up. Bang bang bang about 10 times . Sheared the little skeg right off the lower unit. I actually saw him hit himself on the forehead. The old I could have had a v8.

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote