Old 10-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #1

City: Pensacola
Marine Survey

I'm not sure this is the right spot for this discussion, but here goes.

I've gotten some good advice here already about a marine survey - hull survey, separate Yanmar diesel survey, and oil analysis (both engines, transmission, and generator). All great and I think puts me well on my way if (I should say when) I have a deal on a boat.

Had a deal earlier this year on an Endeavour TrawlerCat but backed out a day later for a few reasons. Basically, I hadn't prepared myself for the purchasing process and have spent a lot of time since correcting that deficiency. I'm just about ready to re-enter negotiations on the same boat and want as much knowledge as possible before then.

So, what else should I consider regarding the survey? And if anyone has a recommendation in the Pensacola, FL/Orange Beach, AL, area, that is much appreciated.

If I'm slow to respond, please don't hold it against me. I officiate football and it's a busy weekend.

Jim
JimMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #2

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
Did you do the sea trial on this boat during your first go-around? if not, you will normally have a sea trial with the survey. this sea trial can be a big deal maker/breaker for you as you get a real feel for the boat.
Being in Pensacola, this trial could take place out in a somewhat active sea-state if you go out in the gulf and this could be a good thing if the surveyor will let you feel it in some decent size waves. he might also let you take the wheel for a few moments-if so, do it. it's a great opportunity to feel what you might be buying.
When not at the wheel, move around to other living spaces on the boat while its under way to see how it feels and noise levels, especially when he tries to push engines to wide open throttle. You can even use a smart phone App (like Decibel 10) to measure noise levels.
If you come back from that sea trial not loving the boat or being disappointed for some reason, don't be afraid to re-consider the deal.
Good luck!
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Survey

A good surveyor is critical, they aren't created equal. Many surveyors have a greater allegiance to the brokers they work for "really" than you who may be a one time customer. The surveyors rely on referrals from brokers. Most boat buyers are looking at boats through rose colored glasses, most boat owners don't want a surveyor to find anything wrong with their boat. You need a surveyor the selling broker doesn't want but would use himself if he were the buyer.
There are so many things to look for during a survey, here is a few I think are critical.
The hull ,decks, stringers and stretchers need to percussion sounded for delamination and core decay.
Electrical wiring, properly secured " every 18", properly grounded, GFI in galley, head , at exterior areas. Shore power inlet, signs of heat , corrosion.
Batteries secured , in spill prove boxes, positive terminals protected, nuts not wing nuts on battery connections. Thermal protection on the house bank within seven inches of terminal. Properly bonded through hulls.
Working through hulls, dbl hull hose clamps through hulls condition of hoses and clamps.
Working bilge pumps, float switches, high water alarms. Engine room blowers, not just making noise but actually moving air.
Fire suppression, working wired properly, gauge full. Proper number of fire extinguishers mounted in brackets, loose don't count.
Look for items added by the previous owner, things like non marine inverters, battery charges, lift pumps.
These are just a taste of the many things that will effect the insurability of your boat. I could go on for quite a while , working as a shipwright and a surveyor has been quite an education.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #4

Hamrow, that's all great advice. Thank you!

We did not have a sea trial before. The boat is in Orange Beach and would probably be hauled out at Barber's Marina so the sea trial will likely be in Wolf Bay...plenty of room to maneuver. We could hit the Gulf given sufficient time, and I'd sure like to.

Much appreciated.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #5

Scary, thank you! That is quite a list. Along with all the other onboard equipment, the surveyor is going to have a full day (and obviously earn his fee).

The broker gave me a long list of surveyors and said I could pick any one of them or find my own. My friend used a surveyor we really liked...said he was very thorough and the report was comprehensive. He was not on the broker's list, so I might give him a call and ask if he knows a Yanmar mechanic too.

Thanks again!
Old 10-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Guru

City: Here
Marine survey 101

Choosing a Marine Surveyor

Oil Analysis - Worth the money ?

Moisture Meter Mythology
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I don't know squat about Port Credit, but their info re: oil analysis and moisture meters is spot on.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #8

boatpoker, thanks for the link. Already started reading.

Appreciate it
Old 10-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Are the requirements of a blower and fire suppression system lower on diesels versus gas?

I dont have a blower in my engine room!!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
Guru

ABYC standards for fire suppression are the same (based on compartment volume) but diesels are not required to have a blower.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMurphy View Post
We could hit the Gulf given sufficient time, and I'd sure like to.

Much appreciated.
Make time. You need to go into some real seas in a sea trial, even rough can be good. All boats ride well in glassy bay or lake conditions.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #12

BandB, good advice. Perhaps I'll change "sea trial" in the contingency to "sea trial including Gulf waters."
Old 10-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMurphy View Post
BandB, good advice. Perhaps I'll change "sea trial" in the contingency to "sea trial including Gulf waters."
Well, you control whether the sea trial meets your needs or not. However, I knew of someone recently who was looking at a 63' boat and the first thing the selling broker said was they would have to stay in the ICW because it was 4 to 6' outside. The buyer said, "Then I won't buy it." Ultimately the broker called the owner and the owner said no issue taking it out. The buyer was more convinced than ever after 5 minutes outside that it was the boat for them. Broker didn't like it out there, but buyer said it handled so much better than the boat he just sold. The engine surveyor was also very impressed. The captain for the sea trial is a good friend of ours. The broker thought he'd run it outside at hull speed but the captain knew the boat well and it cruised nicely much faster.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Make sure your surveyor is acceptable to your insurance company.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #15

titlrider - Good point. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, you control whether the sea trial meets your needs or not. However, I knew of someone recently who was looking at a 63' boat and the first thing the selling broker said was they would have to stay in the ICW because it was 4 to 6' outside. The buyer said, "Then I won't buy it." Ultimately the broker called the owner and the owner said no issue taking it out. The buyer was more convinced than ever after 5 minutes outside that it was the boat for them. Broker didn't like it out there, but buyer said it handled so much better than the boat he just sold. The engine surveyor was also very impressed. The captain for the sea trial is a good friend of ours. The broker thought he'd run it outside at hull speed but the captain knew the boat well and it cruised nicely much faster.
Roger. I think having it as a contingency will help avoid any surprises or conflict on the day of the sea trial.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #17
Guru

Sea Trials, it ain't just another Boat Ride.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Thanks for the link.

Tags
endeavour, marine survey, yanmar