Through the Annisquam.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bruce.

Thanks for posting the video. I'm sure it will be a wonderful trip. Enjoy!

Cheers

H.

Nice...that's right in my backyard!!

Nice place to live or visit.
We've just come from Boston and are sitting in Isles of Shoals now.
Maybe Boothbay tomorrow! Love this part of the coast...
Bruce

Am I reading correctly, that parts of the canal are only 5.3' deep?

We saw as little as 6' when we went through about an hour before dead low.
We've done it in our last boat that drew 7' but that was 11 years ago.
Our tug draws just 3'6" so we felt just fine...
It is a beautiful little detour.
Bruce

If you haven't done it before, on your return trip you might want to go the outside route, instead of the Annisquam. See the Sandy Bay Breakwater, Thatcher's island, some very picturesque lighthouses and some great nautical history.

The twin lights of Thatcher Island were the last lighthouses in the US to be built under British Rule in the colonies, and the petition to request them was presented by John Hancock.

Construction for the offshore Sandy Bay Breakwater was begun in the 1880's and it is over a mile long.

You can also see "Norman's Woe" mentioned in Longfellow's "Wreck of the Hesperes" and many scenes from paintings by Fitz Hugh Lane and Winslow Homer.

It is a very rich area and whichever route you chose there will be lots to see.

Yes it can get that shallow and just as significant the channel at low is Very narrow. Fortunately it's very clear just where the channel is and the bottom is all sand. It's an extremely picturesque river.

Ken

Yes it can get that shallow and just as significant the channel at low is Very narrow. Fortunately it's very clear just where the channel is and the bottom is all sand. It's an extremely picturesque river.

Ken

Means the odds of us taking that route aren't good. I don't see trying that with a 5' draft.

Means the odds of us taking that route aren't good. I don't see trying that with a 5' draft.

Just go at mid to high tide. That will buy you 4-9 feet more depth. Ideally go at high because the Blynman bridge can be nasty at full current. Slack high is best.

I don't remember it being that shallow, but maybe at dead low. The worst spot is the channel where it meets Ipswich Bay. That's where I remember it being the lowest, but things shift around. It's just very important to follow the channel markers because they often take you in an unexpected direction. Every year there is a sail boat or two on its side on a sand bar waiting for the tide to come back in because someone didn't follow the channel markers.

My charts are old but show the mean low at 6.5 feet where it enters Ipswich bay. Any time other than dead low you'd be fine, as the tide swing is 9 feet or so. The other end, where it enters Gloucester Harbor is regularly travelled by large ( 100 foot ) whale watching boats.

My charts are old but show the mean low at 6.5 feet where it enters Ipswich bay. Any time other than dead low you'd be fine, as the tide swing is 9 feet or so. The other end, where it enters Gloucester Harbor is regularly travelled by large ( 100 foot ) whale watching boats.

Current charts show 6.5 at the entrance but then 5.3 later.

ahh...OK. I missed that....one of the joys of driving an I/O that only draws 3 feet. You can eyeball it when it gets shallow, and pull up the drive a little if you need. We would routinely beach our boats there as it is one of the few areas that boats can pull up to the beach. Some parts of the beach the angle of the sand is so shallow...that as the tide rises you can actually watch the water rise on the beach. However, as it falls...you can also watch the innattentive boaters get stranded as well.

Current charts show 6.5 at the entrance but then 5.3 later.

Interesting. It's definitely deeper than that in practice. And from mid tide and up you have another 4+ feet of depth. I just would avoid it at dead low with a 5' draft.

On our way there ourselves, driving ;) the boat is waiting for us on the end of D dock, SOPO marine.

Enjoy your journey, booth bay is a cool place :thumb:

Boothbay is a fun little stop. ETA 2:30 pm today.
I am amazed at the coverage we get with AT&T out here. This used to be area where only Verizon worked. Now our Verizon iPads have no signal...
Interesting,
Bruce

I use my at&t iPad and iphone with pretty good results in that area.

There's enough water at high to get 8.5' through. Just have to watch the air draft at the bridge. And waiting for the commuter rail bridge with fair current is fun too. But woe to the uninitiated going through blynman canal bridge with the current......

Surprised no one has mentioned the partying that goes on at the north end of the Annisquam River on the shallow sand flats- bikini babes, beer, boom boxes. It can get wild on nice weekend summer days.

David

There's enough water at high to get 8.5' through. Just have to watch the air draft at the bridge. And waiting for the commuter rail bridge with fair current is fun too. But woe to the uninitiated going through blynman canal bridge with the current......

Is there a fixed bridge other than Route 128 which is 65'?

No. But my tugboat was in the vicinity of 50'. And there was scaffolding hanging down which no one had a fast answer for actual clearance.

I'd have to look.... it was several years ago. Iirc there's power lines nearby too. I think at the RR BR

That's all, and I'm 90% sure the bridge work is all done now.

If you are going through for the first time, I would avoid it on a summer weekend.

The bridge work is done and the trains are not running until Aug 13 so the railroad bridge should be easy.

When going through the Blynman Canal, its best not to follow to close to anything big like the Whale watchers, or big tour boats....they really churn up the area under the bridge.

Surprised no one has mentioned the partying that goes on at the north end of the Annisquam River on the shallow sand flats- bikini babes, beer, boom boxes. It can get wild on nice weekend summer days.

David

Was up their on Wingarsheek beach last week with my siblings in my brothers Mako. Been years since I have done that. Lots of fun ,relaxing and the water was actually warm(relatively)! Small boater heaven.

No. Only others are two bridges that open, a small bridge at the Gloucester harbor end called the Blynman bridge and a RR bridge not too far from it.

Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom