Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #101
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
There have been a couple of incidents with the City Cats on the river... I think the Captains became well aware, and indeed may have been reminded by the authorities, that they have an obligation to avoid collisions irrespective of any rights of way.
Brian`s post reminds me why the "keep stbd in the channel" campaign has been strong here. An IG30 was rammed by a fast catamaran ferry exiting Circular Quay at speed at night and keeping to the port side, thus restricting its view of boats approaching from port (ie on the correct stbd side) of the harbor.

Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:35 AM   #102
TF Site Team
City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That's one I just can not seem to remember! Is it one to port, or two to port? Does anyone have an easy to remember memory jog?
Many years ago I was on a tug on the Gulf Intercoastal and noticed a sticker on the helm stating the whistle signals. I asked about it in effect saying to the captain that he must give these signals 20 times a day for years and he must have memorized them by now. His response was that was true but if he ever made a mistake someone could die.

Bay Pelican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:53 AM   #103
TF Site Team
City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post

Please note that I was responding to your post (#52) in which it appeared to me that you were comparing US and Canada only. Perhaps I miss read your post to include other areas.
You're right Ken, I was. I was unaware that other countries, i.e. Japan, Korea and Philippines and Taiwan, also followed the Nth & Sth American convention. Still, when there are ~ 195 countries in the world, one wonders why with something like this, where ships do visit so many other countries, and there are a lot less buoys and beacons than traffic lights, and no white lines to mark, why they didn't all just adopt one truly international convention re channels and buoys..?

The latter comment addressing Spy's comment as follows...

Two regions, A and B. Pre-existing bouyage. That would be like forcing everyone to drive on the same side of the road. Expensive to change.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #104
City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote