Old 09-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Thread Creep Bucket: Helms, Colregs and Trains

Thread Creep posts moved from another thread.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #42
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Passing an oncoming boat with your port side to his port side.

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #43
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Passing an oncoming boat with your port side to his port side.
Don't forget to give one nice loud blast of yer horn to keep him over there too!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #44
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Actually that's not quite accurate. The one and two whistle passes are used when overtaking someone from astern to let them know, first that you are there and passing, and secondly to let them know which side. This is often joined with a request for a slow pass. The slow pass is to give the boat being passed a more comfortable time and to speed up the procedure.

INLAND— Sound and Light Signals
RULE 34
Maneuvering and Warning Signals
(a) When power-driven vessels are in sight of one another and meeting or
crossing at a distance within half a mile of each other, each vessel underway, when maneuvering as authorized or required by these Rules:
(i) shall indicate that maneuver by the following signals on her whistle: one short blast to mean “I intend to leave you on my port side”; two short blasts to mean “I intend to leave you on my starboard side”; and three short blasts to mean “I am operating astern propulsion”.
(ii) upon hearing the one or two blast signal of the other shall, if in agreement, sound the same whistle signal and take the steps necessary to effect a safe passing. If, however, from any cause, the vessel doubts the safety of the proposed maneuver, she shall sound the danger signal specified in paragraph (d) of this Rule and each vessel shall take appropriate precautionary action until a safe passing agreement is made.
(b) A vessel may supplement the whistle signals prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule by light signals:
(i) These signals shall have the following significance: one flash to mean “I intend to leave you on my port side”; two flashes to mean “I intend to leave you on my starboard side”; three flashes to mean “I am operating astern propulsion”;
(ii) The duration of each flash shall be about 1 second; and
(iii) The light used for this signal shall, if fitted, be one all-round white or yellow light, visible at a minimum range of 2 miles, synchronized with the whistle, and shall comply with the provisions of Annex I to these Rules.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #45
Guru

Good man. I will make sure to blow one blast at every approaching vessel. It will give the kids on the bow riders something to laugh at anyway!
Old 09-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #46
Guru

I see the wisdom of the Regs. Capt Bill posted, especially the response system, so each boat has an understanding of the other boat`s intentions and has communicated it. Collisions are often the result of someone doing the unexpected, be it on the road or on water, whether lawful or not.
The one and two blasts also signal respectively a turn to stbd, and to port. It`s to similar effect.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:08 PM   #47
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The one and two blasts also signal respectively a turn to stbd, and to port. It`s to similar effect.
That's one I just can not seem to remember! Is it one to port, or two to port? Does anyone have an easy to remember memory jog?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:27 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That's one I just can not seem to remember! Is it one to port, or two to port? Does anyone have an easy to remember memory jog?
I`m fairly confident. If you check Bill`s post, sounding one for "I`ll pass you on my port" necessitates, when boats approach each other head on, a turn to stbd so that can happen. But, my brain is more addled than usual, doing my tax. No idea of a mnemonic to help remember it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:00 AM   #49
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Think of it this way. The word port is ONE word or syllable. And the word starboard is TWO.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:37 AM   #50
Guru

So let's ask the question: how many people give a single blast when head-on passing every boat?

If I did that on the ICW, I would probably be arrested for disturbing the peace.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:22 AM   #51
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. m. How many fellow boaters are even aware of the significance or meaning of whistle signals? Similarly, the meaning of a hoisted black ball during daylight hours (vessel is anchored). As recreational boaters, one would like to think that we have some knowledge of COLREGS but I suspect this is not always the case.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #52
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Was pretty sure it was the same....Right...starboard....tomato....tomahto.... .hehe...so they drive on the port side.

I do find it strange, although not surprising, that there is one convention at sea but two on land. I would think when learning to handle a boat it could be a bit confusing at first to someone use to driving on the left side of the road.
You might well think that, but actually it has never been an issue here in Aus. Ok, there are some who clearly have no idea that the seagoing convention is different, but that's just ignorance, and much rarer now everyone here has to get a boat licence. So, the vast majority have no trouble with it at all. Maybe it's because the sea is so different from land anyway, so no real surprise the rules differ. However, the interesting thing is that at sea even though one travels on the right (st'bd) side of a channel and passes port to port, one still gives way to the right if a vessel is coming from your starboard side, which is like our road rule, and opposite to yours I think..?

Coming back to the buoy/beacon thing though. If I understand correctly, you in North America observe red right returning, which I interpret as meaning when leaving port, the green beacons are kept to your right, and reds to your left. If so, that is exactly opposite to the rest of the world, who follow the convention that the buoys or beacons are such that the direction to the nearest main port is the reference point, with greens kept right going towards this, and the reverse when going in the opposite direction. For rivers, the upriver direction dictates that green is to starboard and red to port - the reverse going downriver. Again opposite to the US (and ? Canada), if my understanding is correct.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #53
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
So let's ask the question: how many people give a single blast when head-on passing every boat?

If I did that on the ICW, I would probably be arrested for disturbing the peace.
We use the radio if there is any doubt or when overtaking. If no response, then blast the appropriate horn signal. You will almost never get the acknowledging blast(s) back, especially from a rec boater.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #54

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
You might well think that, but actually it has never been an issue here in Aus. Ok, there are some who clearly have no idea that the seagoing convention is different, but that's just ignorance, and much rarer now everyone here has to get a boat licence. So, the vast majority have no trouble with it at all. Maybe it's because the sea is so different from land anyway, so no real surprise the rules differ. However, the interesting thing is that at sea even though one travels on the right (st'bd) side of a channel and passes port to port, one still gives way to the right if a vessel is coming from your starboard side, which is like our road rule, and opposite to yours I think..?

Coming back to the buoy/beacon thing though. If I understand correctly, you in North America observe red right returning, which I interpret as meaning when leaving port, the green beacons are kept to your right, and reds to your left. If so, that is exactly opposite to the rest of the world, who follow the convention that the buoys or beacons are such that the direction to the nearest main port is the reference point, with greens kept right going towards this, and the reverse when going in the opposite direction. For rivers, the upriver direction dictates that green is to starboard and red to port - the reverse going downriver. Again opposite to the US (and ? Canada), if my understanding is correct.
Red right returning is for returning from the sea.
Old deckhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #55
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
Some of the time.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #56
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I'm always so amused by debates about Colregs, as if life is ever that neat and tidy, especially among recreational boaters, but even commercial or large boats like these:

Maybe if the captain sent a member of the crew to the bowsprit with a megaphone to read the Colregs to that fishing trawler the collision could have been avoided. (I know there are a million boat collisions on YouTube but to me that one is a perfect example of why these debates about regulatory compliance don't have much connection to reality once you cast off (hmmm, kind of like the boat documentation thread come to think of it)).
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #57
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Some of the time.

.. and only in some parts of the world. Region B.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. m. How many fellow boaters are even aware of the significance or meaning of whistle signals? Similarly, the meaning of a hoisted black ball during daylight hours (vessel is anchored). As recreational boaters, one would like to think that we have some knowledge of COLREGS but I suspect this is not always the case.
You read this month's PassageMaker too huh?
Old 09-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #59
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:

I signal if it looks like a collision or confusion is apparent (unless the other vessel is a ship in which blowing a horn won't help). This is rare. Usually make course adjustment long before that.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #60
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. M. "You read this month's PassageMaker too huh?" Definitely NOT. I severed all connections with that rag when they became a mouthpiece for their "resident expert" AND a printed advertisement for new high end vessels. NOT what Bill Pantaloon (sp?) intended at all, I suspect. For the first number of years I was an ardent subscriber because the articles, for the most part, were directed to the "average" boat/trawler owner.