Old 04-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #21

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Having a large, powerful tender that you can haul onboard is great advantage.

I have an Avon RIB with a jet that weighs 800 lbs. and anchor it using the "clothesline" system described in this thread.

Anchor Buddy for dinghy?

I also tend to carry a lightweight 8' Walker Bay which I can manhandle on to the swim platform which I use to row to shore when close by.

Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Kevin-- Regarding skiffs themselves we have a nine foot Livingston that has served us well. It's too small for your purposes. But they make-- or used to-- larger sizes that might be worth looking into including, I believe, a cernter console version.

Very stable boat, pretty much indestructible, great for dragging up on rocky shores. Don't know how the weight would compare with what you've got now. Livingston Boats
Thanks!

I looked at them but the center console is 19' long.

Another part of the challenge is that for their size RIBS have an amazingly small amount of room.

On the flip side, nothing like a RIB if I have to go across a stretch of open ocean to go fetch a part in an emergency.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Does Boston Whaler make what you're looking for? Might not give you any weight advantage, though.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
We recently went through the same thought process and decided to buy a 15' Klamath all welded with windshield skiff setup for fishing and will tow it as we do not have the onboard space or crane to lift it. It weighs 625 lbs with the Honda 30. Great boat for our needs.

Keith, how fast does that Klamath go with the 30hp Honda with two people aboard? That may be the solution I've been looking for.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
The 10' Bullfrog has a center steering position available but it's not the same thing as a console. And while it combines the attributes of an RIB with the removal of the detriments of an RIB, mainly the air and the finite life expectancy, they are heavy.

The larger model I believe offers a true center console but it will be very heavy.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Does Boston Whaler make what you're looking for? Might not give you any weight advantage, though.
Not in a Center Console in a boat <=14'

Quote:
The 10' Bullfrog has a center steering position available but it's not the same thing as a console. And while it combines the attributes of an RIB with the removal of the detriments of an RIB, mainly the air and the finite life expectancy, they are heavy.

The larger model I believe offers a true center console but it will be very heavy.
Weight savings is the key.

The ability to anchor outside the surf line pretty much solves the problem for me.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote