Thoughts on Old Hatteras MY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cool beans

Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
Late 60's-thru 70's flush decks. . .40 - 44 feet. . .ran into a few online, fairly local, that come within budget. Sexy ships, especially sans flying bridge :smitten: All seem to be Detroit powered (6-53, 8-53, 6-71 so far). From what I gather the DD's are cheap to work on, but aren't exactly fuel sippers? One was quoted 12gph @ 10 knots? Better than twin 454's, not exactly on par with a pair of Ford Lehmans. . .

Anything to look out for? Known issues? Handling? How is the view from the helm over the bow?

There is a 1968 41' Hatteras Double Cabin with 6-53's in NC I might go see if it's still for sale. Only a couple hours away :thumb:

Thanks!

Since Hatteras invented the FRP production boat from inception , no.
There is an excellent Owners Forum available with many vintage Hatteras owners.

"12gph @ 10 knots? Better than twin 454's, not exactly on par with a pair of Ford Lehmans."

On a 44 ft boat 10K will probably be the same fuel burn.

Trawler economy is about at the SQ rt of the LWL, and yes the DD may cost a bit more at such a low power setting.

DD need to be run at about 60%+ power to be on par with other diesels , assuming the other diesels are dialed in for that load and speed.

An extra GPH pales when considering the service life , and ease of parts worldwide.

Think 7K or 8 mph for economy, not 10K unless the boat is 65+ ft.

Here is a Roughwater in Slidell, LA. I corresponded with him who is trying to sell it for his dad. It actually may be a 42' rather than a 41'. Haven't seen it so don't know condition. He said they would be asking $38000
Trade Yacht for Bay Boat

There is also this 43' 1985 Hatteras in Mandeville, LA which has Cat engines.
43' Hatteras Motor Yacht

Owning one

They are old boats, well made. Many end up as live aboards because they are so comfortable. Wirering is excellent, water copper,tankage frp (no rust outs) , Deck coring can be a problem, the layup coring is end grain balsa. Unlike plywood the. Rot migrates slower. Usually the failure is near penitrations , davits and bow pulpits are areas needing checking, other areas may have little effect on strength. These were expensive yachts, all mechanical bits are large and expensive to replace. Made to be repaired not thrown away.

Since Hatteras invented the FRP production boat from inception , no.
There is an excellent Owners Forum available with many vintage Hatteras owners.

One of the neat things about anything boating is that almost any statement can and will be argued. Usually because of wording...

So, just what do you mean by "Hatteras invented the FRP production boat from inception?"

Because:
When was Fiberglass first used on boats

Might check the Atlantic 44 or 47. Designed by Jack Hargrave who designed the Hatteras line. More of a trawler. Great layout and well built. Most have Cat 3208 power.

Awesome to hear! I'm actually going to call the owner of a local one here in a few minutes.

Big and comfy is what I'm looking for in a liveaboard :thumb: Good thing is they look shiny in the pics. My own experience is if an owner takes the time/money to keep it polished, it's probably not a total pos :whistling:

What is the Hatteras Owners Group?

Thanks!

While survey is still critical, when it comes to older boats, Hatteras will generally be in the best condition of any you'll fine.

Good old boats. A detroit at 40+ years can give headaches, but all fixable.

Shop carefully. Get an engine guy to check motors and sea trial.

GPH at trawler speed will be close to that of modern engines. Drop speed half a knot and it will match.

Last edited:
One of the neat things about anything boating is that almost any statement can and will be argued. Usually because of wording...

So, just what do you mean by "Hatteras invented the FRP production boat from inception?"

Because:
When was Fiberglass first used on boats

Note I said production boat, that is boats made by model in quantity. I did not mean that they invented the FRP boat. I once made an entertaining visit to the nice but eccentric guy who produces Hydrocaps in Miami. On the floor of his shop building was, according to him, the outline of the first fiberglass boat ever made, by the guy who previously owned the property.

Awesome to hear! I'm actually going to call the owner of a local one here in a few minutes.

Big and comfy is what I'm looking for in a liveaboard :thumb: Good thing is they look shiny in the pics. My own experience is if an owner takes the time/money to keep it polished, it's probably not a total pos :whistling:

What is the Hatteras Owners Group?

Thanks!

It is a forum like this one devoted to vintage Hatteras boats, sponsored by Sam's Marine, the spin off of the Hatteras parts department. The support and knowledge supplied by Sam's, and availability of documentation from the factory (by Hull # !) in my opinion adds tremendous value to buying an old Hatt. I never have run across an issue with finding a part or modern direct replacement. The more we owned that boat over the years, the more I have been grateful we bought a Hatteras.

I have had a 50' Hatteras yachtfish for 15 years. Have also owned a couple of traditional trawlers. Liked the trawlers, LOVE the Hatteras. Classic lines, very stylish, wonderful systems and maybe the best support network ever on the Hatteras forum. Like all boats she needs attention but the Hatteras is clearly the finest boat I have ever owned. Great live-aboard, dependable Detroit 8-71Ns that are easy to work on (no injector pump!). I see numerous Hatteras boats going north and south on the ICW past my house every day, going slow at trawler speed, loving life.

Welp, I'm exchanging emails with the broker on the 41 in NC. . .should set something up for next weekend and hope I luck out on a good boat!

Going to check out the Sams forum in the mean time.

Saw a local private sale 43' today. Beautiful lines, love the lower helms relation to the aft deck and dock lines. And compared to the GS44 I pondered, being able to see whats behind me!

Really bad condition though. I've never felt bad for a boat before. . .I wanted to take it out to the back 40 and put a bullet in it's head :facepalm:

Interior was great! Engine rooms sucked. Those 8v53's are as big as SmartCars :eek:

All was not a waste though. Got a couple problem areas I'm curious about. I'll post those in a new thread.

Thanks all!

"Those 8v53's are as big as SmartCars"

What else were you going to do with the space , if you replace 15,000 hour engines with lawn equipment size engines.???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom