Old 11-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Thoughts??

What kind of boat is this at minute 5:02?? Looks trawler esque.....interesting refit of an outboard on the swim grid. I also like the dangling fenders and anchor on the bow!

I love these Zip Zap Power vids from Haulover. Just good ole fashioned American boob tube watching! Lol

https://youtu.be/0-7qjNCY69A
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I don't know but if he doesn't fully extract his anchor he's going to have some very nasty gouges in the gelcoat.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:22 AM   #3

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Sure looks like a late 1970's/early 1980s era Tollycraft 30 Sedan, its been retrofitted/updated with tinted windows and paint, but those big windows and tall rails scream Tolly. I haven't seen any imitators around here. Those boats were made for short/steep northwest waters that can come up, and be comfortable and were built strong. I'm sure there are some one the east coast, this one looks like someone has at least taken care of updating the outside.

A Tollycraft halmark in those (and most) years was a very distinct aqua blue gelcoat stripe.

Tolly is to the PNW boating scene what Defever is to trawlers...http://www.tollyclub.com/history, and many of his boats were in fact very trawler-esque.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
Guru

City: Anacortes
That is a 30 Tolly as you suspected. Not a ton of those out there. I didn’t like the outboard conversion, but had to admit it was running along nicely.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Yup, 30 Tolly.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
The outboard may have been a trolling motor not the primary pusher. I could not see indications that it was running.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #7

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
I will politely disagree with it being a kicker motor. Here in florida you will see more and more older boats doing a outboard motor conversion. If I'm wrong (its possible) that is one big kicker motor, I would say around 200 Yamaha.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine R View Post
I will politely disagree with it being a kicker motor. Here in florida you will see more and more older boats doing a outboard motor conversion. If I'm wrong (its possible) that is one big kicker motor, I would say around 200 Yamaha.

Without seeing the number, the size of the case is at least a 150.

A kicker wouldn't exceed 15, so would be much smaller.

Lots of folks replace their I/O with an outboard on a pod. Increases interior space as well. That Tolly likely came with a gas inboard, so on its death an outboard is a good solution.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Decades ago, I used to go to the West Ocean City, MD boat ramp on Memorial day weekend to watch the Pennsylvania navy launching and recovering boats, many for the first time. A lawn chair and a cooler with beer was all that was required. "Sometimes the best shows in town are free".

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
What kind of boat is this at minute 5:02?? Looks trawler esque.....interesting refit of an outboard on the swim grid. I also like the dangling fenders and anchor on the bow!

I love these Zip Zap Power vids from Haulover. Just good ole fashioned American boob tube watching! Lol

I LOVE Zip Zap Power!
Dan_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #11
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post

Although I looked carefully and could not locate a truly recognizable marking on the boat for failsafe certification... I'm pretty darn sure, due to hull and superstructure shapes, that boat is an early 1990's 30' Tollycraft. Ours is a 1977 34' Tollycraft tri cabin.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:15 PM   #12

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Although I looked carefully and could not locate a truly recognizable marking on the boat for failsafe certification... I'm pretty darn sure, due to hull and superstructure shapes, that boat is an early 1990's 30' Tollycraft. Ours is a 1977 34' Tollycraft tri cabin.
The powerboat guide says the one we think we see in the video was only made until 1984. I wasn't there and can't say, but I've never seen one for sale that was later than the mid-80's. In my first career the company I worked for made at least some of their water tanks; we would occasionally deliver them from Seattle to Kelso. I don't remember seeing that model being made there at the time, which was 1987 on until I left that company in 1994, but I didn't necessarily inspect their factory...

http://cdn.denisonyachtsales.com/boa...30%20Sedan.pdf

At some point Tolly changed the design of the 30 sedan to the more squat model called the sport cruiser... The article I found below seems to indicate the 30 redesign may have been in 1984-1985...

http://www.mvjollymon.com/wp-content...agazine001.pdf
Old 11-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #13
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalphreak View Post
The powerboat guide says the one we think we see in the video was only made until 1984. I wasn't there and can't say, but I've never seen one for sale that was later than the mid-80's. In my first career the company I worked for made at least some of their water tanks; we would occasionally deliver them from Seattle to Kelso. I don't remember seeing that model being made there at the time, which was 1987 on until I left that company in 1994, but I didn't necessarily inspect their factory...

http://cdn.denisonyachtsales.com/boa...30%20Sedan.pdf

At some point Tolly changed the design of the 30 sedan to the more squat model called the sport cruiser... The article I found below seems to indicate the 30 redesign may have been in 1984-1985...

http://www.mvjollymon.com/wp-content...agazine001.pdf
I was off on my years... see 1983 30' sedan on his page:

http://www.tolly-classified.com/pics/8330s.gif
Old 11-21-2019, 12:04 AM   #14
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
If lots of boats on the east coast are converted to outboards, then I'm guessing they don't do much anchoring. When I look at that Tolly in the vid, the first thing that comes to mind is - where do you put the dinghy. I could have converted by boat to an outboard but I wouldn't have had room for a dinghy. And in the PNW, BC, and Alaska, you got to have a dinghy.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:01 AM   #15
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
If lots of boats on the east coast are converted to outboards, then I'm guessing they don't do much anchoring. When I look at that Tolly in the vid, the first thing that comes to mind is - where do you put the dinghy. I could have converted by boat to an outboard but I wouldn't have had room for a dinghy. And in the PNW, BC, and Alaska, you got to have a dinghy.
Tow a small Boston Whaler! We did... throughout the 60's... a 13'3" Whaler with at first a 20 and then a 40 hp Johnson. NY to Maine and all points in between. You could figure out a bridle tow rope affair with floating or buoyed lines so o/b prop stayed unencumbered while slow going etc. Tow lines need hands on management when in reverse.