Old 10-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #21

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
RE: Thorne Bay winds

Mark,

What a amazing boat! saw in the interior design diagram that the forward bunk is to starboard. We have the same set up. The only drawback is my wife has to crawl over me if she needs to get up in the middle of the night. Personally, I like it. Diane says it's because I teach middle school and am as mature as them. Is it possible to have an island berth set up? I know this is a minor thing but it is someting we are considering for our next boat.

Rob
37' Sedan

Datenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Datenight wrote:

*Is it possible to have an island berth set up?
I believe that's possible.* The interior*seems to be*essentially custom made*as it is*not pre-fabricated.* For instance in the saloon, you could choose to have a larger sink area or a built-in ice chest for fish instead of the desk.* However, I preferred to have available fore-cabin floor space to be concentrated, and I like the wife/GF crawling over me.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Mark,[ www.thornebay-ak.gov]
[ www.princeofwalescoc.org]
[www.alaskaislandrealty.com]
[www.thornebayalaska.net]
Come here via 3 float plane operators (Beavers) or ride the IFA ferry from Ketchikan to Hollis on POW Is.
Tourism, some logging and fishing. Lots of lodges and sport fishing. Education, Forest service and local gov service like running the water treatment plant ect ect.
We are retired. Go to Craig once a week (i hour away) to shop and eat out (very few choices). Costs little to live here. Lots of good roads - lots of bad roads. It looks like there's boaters here * ...ther'e isn't. Just fishermen that have and use boats. Hunting and fishing is even bigger than you would imagine. Three or 4 republicans for every democrat. Two rather weak health clinics. I pay $570 a year for moorage (37'). No covered moorage. You can get involved in everything or go in your cave. More later if you like.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #24
Master and Commander

I'm tempted.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
Thorne Bay winds

Careful Eric. Make Thorne Bay sound too tempting and you'll start getting all sorts of riff-raff up there. Californians, Texans, whatever they call people from Florida, you name it.

The first thing they'll want to do is build a freeway. Doesn't have to actually go anywhere, they'll just want a freeway to drive their Priuses on.

Then they'll want at least one of every fast food chain in the country.

After that they'll start complaining about the lack of air service so they'll want a runway and terminal capable of handling at least a 777 if not larger.

Then they'll want a fancy marina. With security gates and stuff. Which means those*crummy little local boats will have to go.

Then they'll start bitching about things like the eagles that*leave fish carcasses*on their lawns, the ravens that made too much noise, and the bears that scare their kids. So they'll shoot/poison/trap and move all of them.* Nature that's*not on a TV or compuer screen or in a book scares the crap out of them so they'll lose no time in getting rid of it in the name of "community safety."

Then they'll look at the funky buildings and houses in Thorne Bay and decide they're not up to code and just don't represent the "new" Thorne Bay. So all that will have to go so it can be replaced by rectangular condo buildings.

Then they'll demand a recycling plant and make you pay for the privilege of putting your glass in container A, your paper in container B, and your plastic in container C.

Then some of them will put up a church*at*which point the rest of them*will bitch that there's a church but no mosque or synagogue. So your taxes will go up to build one of each whether there are any Muslims or Jews in your town or not.

Then they'll declare halibut, salmon, shrimp, herring,*ling cod,*and crabs to be endangered and put a moratorium on fishing for them.

Then one day you'll go out to clear a couple of trees off your property and find about 50 twenty-somethings have chained themselves to the trunks and are chanting, "Hell no, they can't go" and waving signs declaring you to be an earth-raping bigot.* You'll be a bigot because you don't believe a tree has the same rights as a white person.

Then they'll decide that it's WAY too dark at at night--- stars are scary to these people, too--- so they'll construct vast parking lots for the sole purpose of lighting them up at night to make the stars go away.

Then they'll suddenly realize they have parking lots but no malls to go with them.* So they'll build*a couple of them and the first sponsor store will be a five-acre Wal Mart.

Then they'll realize that all those little coves and neat shorelines would be far more profitable if they were privatized and developed with condos and expensive homes with big yacht docks, so they'll fill in all the wetlands and creek mouths*and restrict access to the waterfront.

And finally they'll look around and decide that they have created a SE Alaska utopia exept for one thing--- those scruffy locals who were there when they arrived.* So they will enact taxes and house codes and a bunch of other stuff that you can't afford and in the end you'll be forced to sell up and sneak out of town on Willy with your tail between your legs and all*your belongings roped down on top of the cabin.

Think it can't happen?* When's the last time you were in Seattle?

So think twice before you post photos of the place and list the nice things about it.* Instead put a surplus sub net across the entrance to the bay, lock it, and only let boats with Alaska registrations in.

They should have done that here a long time ago.* Like right after I arrived.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 7th of October 2010 11:29:26 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Marin,Won't happen. No jobs. no jobs and no jobs. Retired won't come unless you put up all that infastructure first * * * .....They won't pay for it either * *...they'll think it's their due. And you're right. We do have a bunch of scruffy locals but ther'es not much that intimidates them especially guys in slacks and tan colored light shoes. Most Seattleites view us like natives on the Congo. A curious thing to glance at while thr're fishing. The stars are great here. One can see lots of them right down on the horizon w our clear air. Yea * * ...trees have rights * *...just like cows * *...to grow unlit they get big. "Then they'll start bitching about things like the eagles that*leave fish carcasses*on their lawns," * * what lawns?
NAW * * * * *..........won't happen
99% of the folks down south want that infrastructure all populated areas have. I miss going to the Salmon Bay Cafe and Fisheries Supply but I really dislike the ticky tacky somewhat meaningless lifestyle. We have NO fast food, little tollerance for tree huggers,
Our garbage cans have only container A, almost no building codes and not a single stoplight on the island. And Marin * *....where do you think all these scruffy Alaskans came from? I was born here in Alaska 20 yrs before Alaska became a state but very few Alaskans were. And we are stylish. You won't fit in very well here unless you've got a dirty truck and wear scruffy brown rubber boots.

Mark,
If you or anybody else wants to see lots of pictures of this area find my Face Book page and look at several hundred pictures. Eric Henning of Thorne Bay.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

This discussion reminds me of the lyrics to a Bryan Bowers song from when he lived in Seattle:

View From Home
(Bryan Bowers)

Black crow sitting on a red roof, house on a hill
Old yellow truck in the driveway got some miles on her still
Out front the pavement's buckled where the roots have taken hold
To the south lies the mountain, a glory to behold

Down on the lake, countless boats are sailing
Up on the shoreline, a single figure runs
And off in the distance, the Cascades rise fiery
Burned in gold by the setting sun

Up north lies Alaska, our last true frontier
Out west lies the ocean, and Olympics so near
Back east lies madness, say what you will
Say I'm a maniac, singing on a hill

Out on the road, we tell all the turkeys
Yes it's always raining and the sun never shines
But all the natives know when the mountain lifts her skirts
The view from home will flat-out melt your mind
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Thorne Bay winds

Quote:
Marin wrote:"they'll just want a freeway to drive their Priuses on."

Man, that really hurt....

My best car ever!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 8th of October 2010 11:15:28 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walt's prius.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	2864  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #29
Scraping Paint

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:My best car ever!
Of course you realize that your Prius has a more negative effect overall*on the environment than a Hummer * At least the facts can be spun in such*a way to prove that.

They did a wonderful episode about this on "Boston Legal" a few years back.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #30
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:Costs little to live here. Lots of good roads - lots of bad roads. It looks like there's boaters here * ...ther'e isn't.
That settles it,* were coming by (assuming the weather allows, but not if it's blowing 80knts) look for us in the harbor some time around the 20th thru the 22nd.* ...............Arctic Traveller 907 321 5175
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #31
Master and Commander

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

...* We have NO fast food...
S'pose the only way to feed my*addiction for Famous Star hamburgers*would be*to open my own Carl's Jr.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

S'pose the only way to feed my*addiction for Famous Star hamburgers*would be*to open my own Carl's Jr.

See, Eric?* It's starting already * First Carl's Jr.* Then McDonalds.* Then KFC.* Then Burger King.* Pretty soon the main drag in Thorne Bay will be a sea of neon signs and squawking drive-in order boxes.

I'm telling you, dude, you've opened Pandora's box.........

Old 10-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #33
Master and Commander

Thorne Bay winds

But*Thorne Bay*boat-slip rental is only $1.50 per foot, per month:*

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 8th of October 2010 01:11:50 PM

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 8th of October 2010 01:12:27 PM
Old 10-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #34
Master and Commander

Ok, OK, they've made some improvements since then:

Old 10-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

I liked the first picture better.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #36
Master and Commander

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

*I'm going to guess she has 5 to 7 hp per ton.
Eric, you've got it bracketed.* At 14 tons with 85 h.p.,*the Coot*is 6 h.p. per ton.* Whats Willy's ratio?

Old 10-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #37
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

This is amazing! At the rate this thread is growing, Thorne Bay* will be like Miami Beach in another year! You've really put it on the map Eric. I'm sure your neighbors (you have some don't you?) will love you for your efforts.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #38
Master and Commander

Thorne Bay winds

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

This is amazing! At the rate this thread is growing, Thorne Bay* will be like Miami Beach in another year!
Thorne Bay's population was once four times larger than today.* Viewing the it's website, it doesn't look like they are keeping*the town's attractions a*secret.* Oh, there is a three-lot plot of land zoned for residence along the shore*up for sale/bid now.* ... *Wonder how much population is needed to make a Carl's Jr. restaurant economically viable?

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 8th of October 2010 04:48:53 PM
Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Wonder how much population is needed to make a Carl's Jr. restaurant economically viable?

You all know how it works.* Once a community grows to a certain size it becomes self-sustaining.* The needs of the community--- Carl's Jr, McDonalds, Wal Mart, the golf course, the car dealers, the carpet warehouse-- will generate enough jobs and income*to keep the whole thing going.* The Wal Mart folks will want houses, that will bring in contractors*and builders, who in turn*will bring in the used*pickup truck dealer,* Eric's little hole-in-the-wall bay is starting down the path to look like one of those LA suburbs, the ones with the long straight streets that comes to a point at the horizon that are*lined with discount flooring stores, cut-price furniture showrooms, 7-11s, and use car dealers.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #40
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

You can get some really neat ice cream snacks and yummy coffee drinks at the TB post office. Try that in your home port!!

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote