Thinking about mounting underwater lights to bottom of swim platform.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve91T

Guru
Vessel Name
Abeona
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
On our Mainship I had two underwater lights mounted. We loved them but they failed within a couple of months...got super dim. Luminex said no problem, we’ll exchange them under warranty, but that would require me to have the boat hauled out. Not doing that again. So I’m thinking of building a bracket to clamp to the bottom of the swim platform that will hang the lights below the water line and running the wires up the ladder and into the boat. No holes, bracket would be out of sight, and if I need to get to the lights, I can just unbolt them.

Thoughts? I know they will probably take a beating, so they’d have to be strong.

I’d love to hear some ideas.

Attachments

• CA4087CA-4A7B-4036-AA0E-AAB91FC5FB36.jpg
    CA4087CA-4A7B-4036-AA0E-AAB91FC5FB36.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 109
  • CA708071-DAC4-4011-9536-741084954E51.jpg
    CA708071-DAC4-4011-9536-741084954E51.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 95
Looks like the swim platform legs actually are underwater already, so I would need much of a bracket.

Attachments

• 0466DE69-9F6E-464F-8922-C4E61E3C376C.jpg
    0466DE69-9F6E-464F-8922-C4E61E3C376C.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 79
I find it more interesting when the lights are pointed down, lighting up the sea bed. Only seen this done once.

I have thought about putting a couple on for a few years now and never got around to it, but if I did I would do exactly as you have described. I don't like putting holes in the boat below the waterline in less I really have to. I have even thought of a couple floaters that you just deploy over the side when wanted.

Stainless flat stock, bent at 90 degrees to mount lights, then another 90 degrees to mount under platform. Verticle side against the hull for stability.

Greetings,
Mr. 91. Hmmm....Seems your trim tabs might pose a bit of an interference problem depending on location and any bracket, as you surmised, will have to be robust enough to survive prop wash and any other turbulence occurring in your transom area.

I've considered exactly what you intend to do. Mount on a bracket attached to the swim platform. I do not have trim tabs but most probably similar strength requirements.

The simplest and most straightforward mount I've thought of comprises of a bracket which will allow any lights to be hinged out of the water and lay flat on the top of the platform to be deployed when desired. The Admiral nixed that idea BUT, I'm still hinting...

I find it more interesting when the lights are pointed down, lighting up the sea bed. Only seen this done once.

I have thought about mounting lights to my swim platform, pointing down, for the same reason. I would much rather light up the water right under me, than to try to light the whole ocean! :D

Some good ideas here. Interesting through to aim them down. Of course they’d need to still be submerged. I wonder how much of a difference it’ll make because the light scatters so much.

Having them retract out of the water would mean they’ll stay much cleaner. That would be a huge plus.

Let em float

. "THE GREEN LANTERN 12V LED Green Underwater Night Fishing Light AMERICAN MADE! Specifications: 1. Color: Green 2. Lamp length: 7 inches 3. Wire length: 15 foot. 4. Power: 10 Watts 5. Input Voltage: DC 12V 6. Input Current: <1 Amp 7. Lumen: 20000 lumens 8. LED bulbs quantity: 65 5630 Style Leds 9.Warranty: 60day Features: 1. Awesome underwater fish attractant. 2. Fully weighted. 3. Perfect for boats, docks and piers. 4. 50,000 Hours of continuous use; 5. Compact size for easy storage. 6. Industrial-grade, fully-submersible design 7. Weight: 10 ounces.."
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/12v-LED-G...9%26rvr_ts%3D571d0bb91670a9c4d7a1815bfffc63cc

Last edited:
I like the hing idea, Or a bracket that would allow the light to slide down and be pinned into position and then pulled back up and pinned out of the water. That may take up less room on the platform.

I wonder if wiring inside the tubing presents any shock hazard if you happen to be using the swim ladder for it's intended purpose ?

I wonder if wiring inside the tubing presents any shock hazard if you happen to be using the swim ladder for it's intended purpose ?

Yeah I guess. But it would be no more risk than your car. It’s only 12 volts! Honest, rubber grommets in the metal holes for the wires should prevent any damage to the wire insulation. I think.

The flip up idea is interesting. It would keep the lights clean for sure. But I’m pretty damn lazy. I want to be able to flip the underwater lights on without spilling my beer.

I think I’ll just mount them to the swim platform brace where it attaches to the transom. Should be super easy to do and easy to remove.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom