Things that make you go hmmm...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danderer

Guru
Vessel Name
Infinity
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48
Boating has always been an escape for us. It has been therapeutic to be able to get away from the phone, from email (mostly), from the news, and from all the other often annoying clutter of life. We’ve met a lot of other boaters like us, and when we get together we talk, well, boats. No work issues, no current events, no religion, etc.

I’ve noticed something new this year. About once a day around here I see some boat flying a large political flag. Always the same flag. I’ve never seen anything like this in my time on the water.

Maybe it is a way to secure a good anchor spot — I know when I see a political flag I’ll find some other place to anchor where I don’t need to have it waved in my face.

So,*is this a trend or an aberration?

Seems like something a person could ignore.

You should probably try it.

I agree. Politics has no place in boating, particularly waving in your face. But it does indicate how our society has tribalized to the point where we have to wave political flags.

OTOH how would you feel about a football team flag? That is something I feel would be in bad taste in an anchorage but not threatening like the political flag.

I could drink a beer and talk boats with the guy with the football team flag, but not the guy with the political one.

David

Saw a guy in Georgetown flying one this year - I'm sure the Bahamians couldn't give a hoot and it just made him look a fool IMO.

Last edited:
We have someone that flys a political flag here. He purports to be patriotic but flys his political flag slightly above the national ensign. Apparently he does not understand flag etiquette and protocol. But he is very patriotic...

If someone was flying a political flag near me I would simply counter by flying my Albin Owners Group burgee.
That would be more threatening and intimidating than a political flag.

When a boater displays a political flag, hubby Dan and I avoid them. In our experience, politics is all they want to talk about.

I'd rather talk about cement, or the oxford comma, ANYTHING, other than politics these days.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

My nomination for Insight of the Month:
Boat Nut:
If you are one, no explanation is necessary.
If you aren't one, no explanation is possible.
-Comodave

Thanks, however I admit to plagiarizing the thought. But as soon as I saw it I fell in love with it because so many people don’t understand my love/obsession with boats. I put it on the back of our boat cards so that others can see it too.

I fly the Trawler Forum flag.

OTOH how would you feel about a football team flag? That is something I feel would be in bad taste in an anchorage but not threatening like the political flag.

I dunno. I'm more of a rabid girls' HS volleyball/basketball fan, but if great-granddaughter #2 makes it into Annapolis next year, I'd be tempted to hoist a goat standard.

I've not seen many flags with political overtones around here. I have seen maybe a couple of Confederate flags, but 1 or 2 is not a trend. LOTS of SeaHawk "12" flags however.

Likely the lack around here simply represents the demographics of my boating region.

I've not seen many flags with political overtones around here. I have seen maybe a couple of Confederate flags, but 1 or 2 is not a trend. LOTS of SeaHawk "12" flags however.

Likely the lack around here simply represents the demographics of my boating region.

I would think that we all have "not seen many," which makes the one or two stand out.

Too many believe flying the USA national flag to be an inflammatory political statement. :banghead:

I have never heard of that. It is just the proper thing to do.

According to wikipedia:

The flag of the United States is sometimes burned as cultural or political statements, in protest of the policies of the U.S. government, or for other reasons, both within the U.S. and abroad. The United States Supreme Court in Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989), and reaffirmed in U.S. v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990), has ruled that due to the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, it is unconstitutional for a government (whether federal, state, or municipal) to prohibit the desecration of a flag, due to its status as "symbolic speech." However, content-neutral restrictions may still be imposed to regulate the time, place, and manner of such expression. If the flag that was burned was someone else's property (as it was in the Johnson case, since Johnson had stolen the flag from a Texas bank's flagpole), the offender could be charged with petty larceny (a flag usually sells at retail for less than USD 20), or with destruction of private property, or possibly both.

There have been several proposed Flag Desecration Amendments to the Constitution of the United States that would allow Congress to enact laws to prohibit flag desecration:[121]

Douglas Applegate (Ohio) in 1991
Robert Dornan (California) in 1991
Bill Emerson (Missouri) in 1991, 1993, 1995
Randy Cunningham (California) in 1999, 2001, 2003,
Jo Ann Emerson (Missouri) in 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013
John P. Hammerschmidt (Arkansas), 1991
Orrin Hatch (Utah) in 1995, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013
Joseph M. McDade (Pennsylvania) in 1989, 1995, 1996
Clarence E. Miller (Ohio) in 1991
John Murtha (Pennsylvania) in 2007
Ron Paul (Texas) in 1997, but he opposed any federal prohibition of flag desecration, including his own Flag Desecration Amendment which he proposed only as a protest against his Congressional colleagues'[who?] attempts to ban flag desecration through ordinary legislation instead of by Constitutional Amendment.[122]
Gerald B. H. Solomon (New York) in 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997
Floyd Spence (South Carolina) in 1991
Andrew Jacobs Jr. (Indiana) in 1995
David Vitter (Louisiana) in 2009
Spencer Bachus (Alabama) in 2013
In 1862, during the Union army's occupation of New Orleans in the American Civil War, William B. Mumford was executed by hanging after the occupation of the city of New Orleans by the forces under the command of General Benjamin Franklin Butler for removing a United States flag.[123]

In 1864, John Greenleaf Whittier wrote the poem Barbara Frietchie, which told of a (probably fictional) incident in which Confederate soldiers were deterred from defacing an American flag. The poem contains the famous lines:

"Shoot, if you must, this old gray head,
But spare your country's flag," she said.

During the United States' involvement in the Vietnam War, American flags were sometimes burned during war protest demonstrations.[124]

After the Johnson decision, the Flag Protection Act was passed, protecting flags from anyone who "mutilates, defaces, physically defiles, burns, maintains on the floor or ground, or tramples upon any flag".[125] This decision was later struck down in the Eichman decision. After that case, several flag burning amendments to the Constitution were proposed. On 22 June 2005, a Flag Desecration Amendment was passed by the House with the needed two-thirds majority. On 27 June 2006, another attempt to pass a ban on flag burning was rejected by the Senate in a close vote of 66 in favor, 34 opposed, one vote short of the two-thirds majority needed to send the amendment to be voted on by the states.[126]

Not sure if I have ever seen an Old Glory burning on a boat.

Actually, I am sure I have ever seen an Old Glory burning on a boat.

Just bringing it back to the actual conversation here.

Some of us live aboard.

Flying a political flag is no different than having an election sign stuck in your front lawn.

Plus we live aboard so whether we discuss boats fishing swimming politics national news or religion it's just part of our lives no different than when you live in any other community.

I don't expect those that boat part time to understand those of us that do it full time but be reasonable at least.

When wanting to make a political statement from the boat, I fly "don't tread on me" Gadsden flag.

Not sure if I have ever seen an Old Glory burning on a boat.

Actually, I am sure I have ever seen an Old Glory burning on a boat.

Just bringing it back to the actual conversation here.

I'm referring to the observers of flags.

This may be a dumb question, but what's a political flag?

I have a couple flags I prefer. Nothing political about 'em at all.

Nice thing about America...you can fly a flag on your boat or front yard or not and there's nothing anyone can say about it. Want to keep your distance? That's your choice. Wanna join in a conversation with the owner about the flag? That's your choice. Wanna go along your merry way unfazed by the 'encounter'? That's your choice.

It's nice to have choices.

I have a couple flags I prefer. Nothing political about 'em at all.

Nice thing about America...you can fly a flag on your boat or front yard or not and there's nothing anyone can say about it. Want to keep your distance? That's your choice. Wanna join in a conversation with the owner about the flag? That's your choice. Wanna go along your merry way unfazed by the 'encounter'? That's your choice.

It's nice to have choices.

Well said Al!:thumb:

Earlier today I was hanging out with the present owner of my old boat. One of his docker neighbors was coming back into the marina flying a political flag. The present owner of my boat commented to his wife that he'd never see him fly that flag before. A few seconds later, as the boat turned into the marina, the flag came down.

Purely out of curiosity, the present owner of my boat yelled over and asked him why he took the flag down...

...apparently political flags aren't allowed at the marina, and the marina is serious about it!

"apparently political flags aren't allowed at the marina, and the marina is serious about it!"

Does the marina allow Nike sneakers?

The OP and I may of seen the same boater around the northern end of the Chesapeake Bay. The boat I saw is too small to live on, and it's a BIG flag.

Some of us live aboard.

Flying a political flag is no different than having an election sign stuck in your front lawn.

Plus we live aboard so whether we discuss boats fishing swimming politics national news or religion it's just part of our lives no different than when you live in any other community.

I don't expect those that boat part time to understand those of us that do it full time but be reasonable at least.

Perhaps, but its not very often that you see a five foot by three foot political sign flying 30 feet in the air in the yard of a 40 foot wide house! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom