Things to do as we wait?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
OK, our boat is scheduled to undergo sea trials early next week. We are here in La Conner happily exploring the area and visiting the factory evenings to get a glimpse of the boat. This is fun and we've even had a little break in the rain in the past few days!
So, what should we see?
We've done some exploring of Anacortes and their wonderful marinas, parks and restaurants. We've driven to some of the surrounding area towns, found a great Co-op in Mount Vernon, been to Marine Supply and Hardware, seen the beginning of daffodils blooming, huge flocks of geese and Deception Pass by car.
What else?
Are there marinas that we should know about? Interesting boating themed places to explore as we wait?
We are open to suggestion...
Bruce

Hi Bruce

Wow, time has run fast, I'm happy for you to finally get him soon. It has been great to share moments when you report to be completed in stages.

I have read how to do sea trials NT AT will likely to as well. You can be sure that everything is 100%. Coolest experiment is an emergency stop, in front of the full gas and gear behind at full throttle, help, I would not be alive to see this :) if you can be involved in the test?

see cultural, etc. offer this week http://www.lovelaconner.com/

whether the correct location?

NBs

Last edited:
TULIP FESTIVAL

OK, not sure why "copy" is putting the url twice in the link but there are acres of tulips in fields between LaConner & Anacortes. Just Google Skagit Valley Tulip festival. I think they should be growing now.

A couple day trip might be the Tsawassen ferry, a night in Sidney and a night in Namaimo. Both have multiple marinas if you like dock walking. Also restaurants, bakeries and nice downtown areas. The ferry ride isn't bad either.

jump on the Anacortes to Victoria ferry, visit Victoria for a day or two.... Or the ferry to Friday harbor. You can check out Roche Harbor then...

The Ballard Locks are fun to watch too if you want to drive down to Seattle.

I agree with all the places listed by others, but you might want to visit them by water in your new boat :)

You are a car guys, so maybe the Lamay car museum in Tacoma? I haven't been, but hear it's quite good.

Also, whenever you get to Port Townsend, be sure to check out Bergstrom's. It's a real gem of car memorabilia, parts, whole cars. Maybe check ahead because they are only open a few days a week. I missed them the last time we were there.

Go up Chuckanut Drive (hwy 11) and have lunch at the Little Cheerful Cafe on Holly st or in Fairhaven at DosPadres. Maby you'll catch a glimpse of Marin Fare.

You could check out Port Townsend Shipwrights
Co op. They are usually working on something cool . I've never been there but I've been following them on the internet.

Go up Chuckanut Drive (hwy 11) and have lunch at the Little Cheerful Cafe on Holly st

I will disagree with Eric. Drive up Chuckanut Drive EARLY and have breakfast at the Little Cheerful Cafe on Holly St. It is by far my favorite breakfast place in the Puget Sound area. Chuckanut Drive is beautiful and a lot of fun in a car that drives well. Do it during the week when there is little traffic.

There are some local wineries in the area that are fun to visit. Small places where you will be met by guys with mud on their boots.

Pt. Townsend is a great idea as is Victoria if you want an overnight. Take the Black Ball from Port Angeles.

I wouldn't take the ferry to the San Juan's if you are looking to take your boat.

If you like seeing cities, go to Seattle. The locks are interesting.

jump on the Anacortes to Victoria ferry, visit Victoria for a day or two.... Or the ferry to Friday harbor. You can check out Roche Harbor then...

Yup, that is a good plan. The Anacortes ferry lands in Sidney BC. A great boater's place. You can check on my vessel and see how the new fly bridge enclosure is coming along. :thumb:

I agree with a trip to Victoria, have high tea at the Empress Hotel.

Also agree with a trip to Port Townsend, stay at the Swan or Bishop Victorian. Lots of maritime history and goings on. Beer at Sirens Pub.

Realize that if you go to Port Townsend, you will want to ditch your brand new boat made out of frozen snot and will lust after wooden boats. At least that's what happens to me.

Realize that if you go to Port Townsend, you will want to ditch your brand new boat made out of frozen snot and will lust after wooden boats. At least that's what happens to me.

My wife and I had this discussion 20 years ago when I got the hots for a wooden sailboat.
She may be 1/2 my size but she made it very clear that my only association with a wooden boat would be through reading the magazine of that name! She grew up with an Abeking built Rhodes Reliant and although she loves seeing them, insists upon distance.
And in reference to fiberglass built boats, this American Tug will be the first boat we have owned that has not a single piece of exterior wood and I am thrilled!
I've been varnishing or paying for varnish for 25 years now and I'm glad this part of life is done!
I will happily anchor next to a lovely wooden boat and admire it from the comfort of our boat!
Bruce

Lots of good advice here!
We will begin picking these off now, many thanks.
Bruce

You could just chill . Next week is gonna be busy .

Attachments

• IMG_2698.jpg
    IMG_2698.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 74
You could just chill . Next week is gonna be busy .

Next week is going to be painful! The boat will be in the water and getting final cleaning, along with the final two coats of urethane on the cabin sole. We are in our little Airstream in the LaConner Marina/RV park and Trawler Row is visible from our window.
For 3 or 4 days it will be off limits but right in front of us!!!
Getting away may be necessary...
Bruce

Oh, and isn't there a Boeing assembly plant in Everett? That's relatively close to you.

Oh, and isn't there a Boeing assembly plant in Everett? That's relatively close to you.

Yes, I forgot it's referred to as The Future of Flight. I sort of lumped them all together in my mind. Buy tickets in advance too as it's popular. Among other things you get to see what they proclaim to be the world's largest building.

Oh scratch the Chuckanut Drive as I think it's closed due to a rock slide. They should be working on it now.

Twenty two replies so far and no one has mentioned Pike Place Market?
Nordic Tugs has a production facility near Anacortes.
Gaches Mansion in La Conner usually has something of interest going on- it's a museum now I believe.

If you are truly bored, you could swing by Skyline Marina, and see if my boat is still afloat. (joking) We have been gone since mid January, but hope to be home (Skyline) on Saturday.

Bruce,

Hop in the car and head south down Whidbey Island to Coupville. It's a nice little walking town but mostly go to Christopher's on Whidbey for lunch or dinner.

I'll be in La Conner this afternoon, sure would like to see your boat!

Agree on Museum of Flight, Ballard Locks, Pike Place Market...

Also - you could stop by and visit the Northern-Lights Generators World HQ in Ballard and see where your generator set began life...

Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection at Paine Field in Everett. Amazing collection of airplanes ( and even a tank).

This is very close by at Skagit Regional Airport.

http://heritageflight.org/

It's a wonderful collection and they are very accommodating.

You are also welcome to come up to Bellingham and explore Ebbtide!

Last edited:
Fly to Europe and tour, then take a cruise ship back! (Transatlantic trips are usually inexpensive.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom