Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #41
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Country: US
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,388
I'm replacing all the below-waterline through hulls/seacocks on Stella and measured 8/10 inch near the waterline. No coring, just glass mat/roving that gets progressively thicker as you move toward the keel. Another owner measured his hull at 1.25" at about 18" from the keel and I've heard anecdotes of 2" plus closer in.

Not saying this is stronger than a cored hull, but it feels like a tank. I do like the feeling of solidity and mass as we punch through waves on the bow.

The photo is before I cleaned up the hull penetrations.

__________________
Advertisement

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #42
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I'm replacing all the below-waterline through hulls/seacocks on Stella and measured 8/10 inch near the waterline. No coring, just glass mat/roving that gets progressively thicker as you move toward the keel. Another owner measured his hull at 1.25" at about 18" from the keel and I've heard anecdotes of 2" plus closer in.



Not saying this is stronger than a cored hull, but it feels like a tank. I do like the feeling of solidity and mass as we punch through waves on the bow.



The photo is before I cleaned up the hull penetrations.




Nice!! I wish I would have thought to see how thick our hull was when we got our transducer put in.
__________________

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #43
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I do like the feeling of solidity and mass as we punch through waves on the bow.
ME too!
__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:27 PM   #44
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,921
Mine was over an inch thick near the keel...of course 6 foot by 6 foot area was hydrolyzed to the point of delamination as much as 1/2 inch thick.

Neither PO or surveyor knew it....

Makes you wonder....

Thick and poor construction doesn't mean much.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #45
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Mine was over an inch thick near the keel...of course 6 foot by 6 foot area was hydrolyzed to the point of delamination as much as 1/2 inch thick.

Neither PO or surveyor knew it....

Makes you wonder....

Thick and poor construction doesn't mean much.
This is exactly the point I wanted to make with my previous posts. THICK means very little it is the nature and quality of the plug that counts. Actually thick is sometimes in older boats an indicator of possible trouble because when the older boats were built knowledge about what makes a good lay up and the quality of materials available were not great so the common reaction was to make it thick and some of that THICK is not so good.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #46
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
This is exactly the point I wanted to make with my previous posts. THICK means very little it is the nature and quality of the plug that counts. Actually thick is sometimes in older boats an indicator of possible trouble because when the older boats were built knowledge about what makes a good lay up and the quality of materials available were not great so the common reaction was to make it thick and some of that THICK is not so good.

Where do I boast the quality of the boat? I was just surprised by the thickness.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #47
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Where do I boast the quality of the boat? I was just surprised by the thickness.
My post is to point out that thickness may be of little significance for those who might think otherwise. Since you appear to know that ,the statement is preaching to the quire in your case, but there may be readers who were not aware. If you feel injured I am sorry it was not my intention.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #48
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,189
Sorry, Ollie. You're in the wrong section. You want "Ain't My Boat Grand!" Section.

Hey, I'm impressed!! I think thick hulls are better than light hulls in a trawler. But that's just me...

Reminds me of a conversation with my boat's designer's son, Gil Marshall. His Dad was listening in on speakerphone from the other desk in the office. He said he was the bilge rat during the construction of my boat and remembered climbing through the hull during the very earliest construction of the 34 LRCs. It was one of the few trawlers of that day not built in Taiwan, but right here in California. He said they they were so new at fiberglass, that they seriously overbuilt the boat. Since I apparently have the first one, I kinda like that!

Since I have the small Perkins 85's, a heavy hull matters little in my speed. Maybe some of the later boats with 18-23 kt top speeds benefited from a lighter hull that's still bulletproof, but I like that I have lots of extra material between me and the cold waters.
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #49
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Sorry, Ollie. You're in the wrong section. You want "Ain't My Boat Grand!" Section.

Hey, I'm impressed!! I think thick hulls are better than light hulls in a trawler. But that's just me...

Reminds me of a conversation with my boat's designer's son, Gil Marshall. His Dad was listening in on speakerphone from the other desk in the office. He said he was the bilge rat during the construction of my boat and remembered climbing through the hull during the very earliest construction of the 34 LRCs. It was one of the few trawlers of that day not built in Taiwan, but right here in California. He said they they were so new at fiberglass, that they seriously overbuilt the boat. Since I apparently have the first one, I kinda like that!

Since I have the small Perkins 85's, a heavy hull matters little in my speed. Maybe some of the later boats with 18-23 kt top speeds benefited from a lighter hull that's still bulletproof, but I like that I have lots of extra material between me and the cold waters.

With my heavy hull, I can slow down to 18 knots and plough through anything. The boat has been in some pretty rough stuff while we were towing it through the Bahamas.

As to the Nordhavn, I hear they're crazy over built p, but I haven't seen the thickness of the hull but from what I'm told it's a beast. It feels like one in the water, and when I run into rough stuff I appreciate the weight. It's also well built, and that's a fact Jack!
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #50
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #51
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,723
Al,
You and Oliver would get along well w my dad. He had a custom lobsterboat yacht built in Maine. The hull was magnificent .. all in Arix Foan sandwich construction.

He was on the phone telling the builder to make it skookum very often. Lots of things got made "Thicker" and many things got added. The anchor of course was a big Forfjord and power was a 6-71. One would think it would make 10 or 12 knots but in the end it was so heavy 9 knots was WOT.

Weight beyond what is needed is .... I'm looking for a nicer word. Not good?
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:28 PM   #52
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Al,
You and Oliver would get along well w my dad. He had a custom lobsterboat yacht built in Maine. The hull was magnificent .. all in Arix Foan sandwich construction.

He was on the phone telling the builder to make it skookum very often. Lots of things got made "Thicker" and many things got added. The anchor of course was a big Forfjord and power was a 6-71. One would think it would make 10 or 12 knots but in the end it was so heavy 9 knots was WOT.

Weight beyond what is needed is .... I'm looking for a nicer word. Not good?

Well, I don't know if we'd get along if he isn't a Rocna man...

The word is overbuilt, for my type of trawler overbuilt isn't bad.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #53
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Al,
You and Oliver would get along well w my dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Well, I don't know if we'd get along
What kind of shoes did Dad wear, Eric?
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #54
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
What kind of shoes did Dad wear, Eric?

That's another thing I was going to ask.....
__________________

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012