Old 05-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #41
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I'm replacing all the below-waterline through hulls/seacocks on Stella and measured 8/10 inch near the waterline. No coring, just glass mat/roving that gets progressively thicker as you move toward the keel. Another owner measured his hull at 1.25" at about 18" from the keel and I've heard anecdotes of 2" plus closer in.

Not saying this is stronger than a cored hull, but it feels like a tank. I do like the feeling of solidity and mass as we punch through waves on the bow.

The photo is before I cleaned up the hull penetrations.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #42
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I'm replacing all the below-waterline through hulls/seacocks on Stella and measured 8/10 inch near the waterline. No coring, just glass mat/roving that gets progressively thicker as you move toward the keel. Another owner measured his hull at 1.25" at about 18" from the keel and I've heard anecdotes of 2" plus closer in.

Not saying this is stronger than a cored hull, but it feels like a tank. I do like the feeling of solidity and mass as we punch through waves on the bow.

The photo is before I cleaned up the hull penetrations.

Nice!! I wish I would have thought to see how thick our hull was when we got our transducer put in.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #43
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I do like the feeling of solidity and mass as we punch through waves on the bow.
ME too!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:27 PM   #44
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Mine was over an inch thick near the keel...of course 6 foot by 6 foot area was hydrolyzed to the point of delamination as much as 1/2 inch thick.

Neither PO or surveyor knew it....

Makes you wonder....

Thick and poor construction doesn't mean much.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Mine was over an inch thick near the keel...of course 6 foot by 6 foot area was hydrolyzed to the point of delamination as much as 1/2 inch thick.

Neither PO or surveyor knew it....

Makes you wonder....

Thick and poor construction doesn't mean much.
This is exactly the point I wanted to make with my previous posts. THICK means very little it is the nature and quality of the plug that counts. Actually thick is sometimes in older boats an indicator of possible trouble because when the older boats were built knowledge about what makes a good lay up and the quality of materials available were not great so the common reaction was to make it thick and some of that THICK is not so good.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
This is exactly the point I wanted to make with my previous posts. THICK means very little it is the nature and quality of the plug that counts. Actually thick is sometimes in older boats an indicator of possible trouble because when the older boats were built knowledge about what makes a good lay up and the quality of materials available were not great so the common reaction was to make it thick and some of that THICK is not so good.

Where do I boast the quality of the boat? I was just surprised by the thickness.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Where do I boast the quality of the boat? I was just surprised by the thickness.
My post is to point out that thickness may be of little significance for those who might think otherwise. Since you appear to know that ,the statement is preaching to the quire in your case, but there may be readers who were not aware. If you feel injured I am sorry it was not my intention.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Sorry, Ollie. You're in the wrong section. You want "Ain't My Boat Grand!" Section.

Hey, I'm impressed!! I think thick hulls are better than light hulls in a trawler. But that's just me...

Reminds me of a conversation with my boat's designer's son, Gil Marshall. His Dad was listening in on speakerphone from the other desk in the office. He said he was the bilge rat during the construction of my boat and remembered climbing through the hull during the very earliest construction of the 34 LRCs. It was one of the few trawlers of that day not built in Taiwan, but right here in California. He said they they were so new at fiberglass, that they seriously overbuilt the boat. Since I apparently have the first one, I kinda like that!

Since I have the small Perkins 85's, a heavy hull matters little in my speed. Maybe some of the later boats with 18-23 kt top speeds benefited from a lighter hull that's still bulletproof, but I like that I have lots of extra material between me and the cold waters.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Sorry, Ollie. You're in the wrong section. You want "Ain't My Boat Grand!" Section.

Hey, I'm impressed!! I think thick hulls are better than light hulls in a trawler. But that's just me...

Reminds me of a conversation with my boat's designer's son, Gil Marshall. His Dad was listening in on speakerphone from the other desk in the office. He said he was the bilge rat during the construction of my boat and remembered climbing through the hull during the very earliest construction of the 34 LRCs. It was one of the few trawlers of that day not built in Taiwan, but right here in California. He said they they were so new at fiberglass, that they seriously overbuilt the boat. Since I apparently have the first one, I kinda like that!

Since I have the small Perkins 85's, a heavy hull matters little in my speed. Maybe some of the later boats with 18-23 kt top speeds benefited from a lighter hull that's still bulletproof, but I like that I have lots of extra material between me and the cold waters.

With my heavy hull, I can slow down to 18 knots and plough through anything. The boat has been in some pretty rough stuff while we were towing it through the Bahamas.

As to the Nordhavn, I hear they're crazy over built p, but I haven't seen the thickness of the hull but from what I'm told it's a beast. It feels like one in the water, and when I run into rough stuff I appreciate the weight. It's also well built, and that's a fact Jack!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #50
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #51
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Al,
You and Oliver would get along well w my dad. He had a custom lobsterboat yacht built in Maine. The hull was magnificent .. all in Arix Foan sandwich construction.

He was on the phone telling the builder to make it skookum very often. Lots of things got made "Thicker" and many things got added. The anchor of course was a big Forfjord and power was a 6-71. One would think it would make 10 or 12 knots but in the end it was so heavy 9 knots was WOT.

Weight beyond what is needed is .... I'm looking for a nicer word. Not good?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:28 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Al,
You and Oliver would get along well w my dad. He had a custom lobsterboat yacht built in Maine. The hull was magnificent .. all in Arix Foan sandwich construction.

He was on the phone telling the builder to make it skookum very often. Lots of things got made "Thicker" and many things got added. The anchor of course was a big Forfjord and power was a 6-71. One would think it would make 10 or 12 knots but in the end it was so heavy 9 knots was WOT.

Weight beyond what is needed is .... I'm looking for a nicer word. Not good?

Well, I don't know if we'd get along if he isn't a Rocna man...

The word is overbuilt, for my type of trawler overbuilt isn't bad.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #53
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Al,
You and Oliver would get along well w my dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Well, I don't know if we'd get along
What kind of shoes did Dad wear, Eric?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
What kind of shoes did Dad wear, Eric?

That's another thing I was going to ask.....

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12