Old 02-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
And the Admiral was shaking her head from side to side saying no way.
So I handed her the papers to sign, her choice, divorce or documintation.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
That's kind of how my divorce went. She got the house and I got the boat.

No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #23
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
*As the storm increased in its intensity, he suddenly realized he had the wrong anchor and the wrong size shirt*
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #24
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
I've sent a number of "newbies" to Marine Survey 101.

It gives them a heads up as to what they may be getting in to.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Zara / Journey
Vessel Model: 1971 Grand Banks 36CL / 1980 Roughwater 41
IMHO, so much of buying a boat falls into emotion. It's been said that you don't pick the boat.....it picks you. Knowing that that is rediculous, I never the less ended up with a 34 year old wooden GB when I empahicatly told my broker that I didn't need or want another project. I just fell in love. A year later and thousands of dollars invested, I'm still not done. I love every minute of it. Buying something that resembles a house with all it's issues and then expecting it to float and sail/motor over waters that vary from flat to God only knows what is not for the faint of heart. While I appreciate and applaud the lofty goal of giving a new boat owner a guide, I can't imagine how many chapters that would entail. We enter into this adventure hoping that we have some idea of what we're doing but in the end, it's really just a crap shoot. Sometimes all the advise and research pays off and other times we get burned. If one truly loves boating it's still worth all of the time, money and sweat labor. My advise to new boat owners is to do the best research you can, try not to get too emotionally envolved but most importantly, enjoy the adventure.
OreWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:30 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Along with quite a bit of other stuff...
"Bottom line for us is forums are fun and they are one source for ideas but they are no substitute for thinking smart and doing the legwork yourself."
I think that's the perfect reply, right there. When I bought our boat I didn't even think to look up the internet for advice. Heck, it was just something you could use to send a letter to someone the other side of the world, and for free, without the stress of putting pen to paper. However, I did do a lot of dreaming…research…more dreaming…more research…and a lot of boat tyre kicking, if I can use the term loosely.

I still suspect the majority of boat buyers still buy their boat first - then discover this and other similar forums later. (Be honest now guys). Those who have found it first are lucky enough to have heard these things exist, and take advantage of it to assist in their own research before they buy, and to some extent they are lucky.

However, there is a fine line between the sayings, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing", and "ignorance is bliss". Because I suspect if I had heard about half of the terrible stuff a Marine Trader type vessel could hold in store for the unwary beforehand…I might still be looking…just saying'...
Old 02-10-2015, 05:42 AM   #27

City: Dunedin, Fl
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Then a shot rang out...
(All good stories have that line in them somewhere)
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:56 AM   #28
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
That's kind of how my divorce went. She got the house and I got the boat.
you won

and I will be ordering my shirts before the weekend
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #29
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
"The surge of relatively inexperienced potential boat buyers is interesting in itself."
Bruce, I hope this is a result of a better economy and some disposable income beginning to jingle in some pockets. It would be great to see Marinas in our area begin to fill up.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #30

City: Stroudsburg, PA
Well, as a new forum member...

... I have found the search function very useful whenever my ruminations about boats reach the "I need more input" stage. There is a wealth of information already posted, complete with examples of "your mileage may vary" from the various threads. It is extremely helpful to have a ton of information, including facts, experiences AND informed opinions, already in hand when visiting a marina.

The problem of old hands getting tired of repeating themselves is common to a lot of forums. Alternatives include "let some other member pick up the baton this time" and sending the newbie a link to existing discussions.

writerly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #31
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_JimS View Post
Yes, tough beginnings is unfortunate. I think it would be helpful if there were some more basic books to read as Donsan says.

There are several good technical books on boats as have been recommended on this site, but not any I know of that are directly written for the Newbie.
Just for fun, but specifically for the Newbie, I did in fact write that very book. Directed not at the trawler customer, but rather the small (trailerable) power cruiser, particularly one who would want to cruise the Inside Passage. Hasn't made much money, considering the time involved, but it has sold a few hundred copies.

OTOH, for someone who knows little about power boats or about cruising, it may be of some value. You might find it interesting to look at the preview- it's on Lulu.com and on Amazon.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #32
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
How about this book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1423604332458.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	37285  
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #33
Enigma

City: Slicker?
"...Then a shot rang out..." *What was the Captain to do? Upon noticing his under-drawers down around his ankles he then understood his Admiral's comment about beer bellies. Darn size small boxers...The elastic had snapped. Not a gunshot at all, simply overstressed elastic waistband. Couldn't deal with all the late night Pilsners. Maybe, just maybe he'd better order a medium TF t-shirt. Back to the dark and stormy night...*
Old 02-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #34
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
My only advice would be to purchase a pretty boat. Marinas are generally full of ugly boats. No need to add to that plague.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:30 AM   #35
keb

City: Portland, OR
"The surge of relatively inexperienced potential boat buyers is interesting in itself"

Where are the new boaters coming from? A distinct possibility is the baby boomer generation is the largest and wealthiest generation ever that is now passing into their retirement years or approaching them. Baby boomers have enjoyed having more purchasing power than their parents did, and will be flexing their economic options for the next decade plus. Whether it is boating, RV'ing, world travel, buying vacation homes in exotic locations, I believe those industries will do well. But those vendors have to build what the boomer wants, not what their parents wanted.

Walking the Seattle Boats Afloat show for several days last month, it was evident who was walking those docks. Boomers. The convention center part of the show was more younger people, looking at wake board boats, fishing boats, and the worst creation ever (my opinion only) pontoon party boats. Ugh. That's not a boat its a raft. Ok for those who own one, let me have it!

But what the f do I know, just a few observations as a new set of eyes on this wonderful world of boating and all the new folks showing up here on the forum. Ok, carry on...

Kevin
Portland, OR
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:49 AM   #36

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Howdy
Vessel Model: 52' North Pacific
Quote:
Because we've long since learned that every question, no matter how simple, generates multiple answers and opinions.
I don't see that as a bad thing.
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:21 AM   #37
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The surge of relatively inexperienced potential boat buyers is interesting in itself.
I doubt there is a "one size fits all" response. Funds, intended use, repair skills, locality, pet aversions, facilities needed, particular issues, so many variables.
"101" is certainly a useful read.
We all started on the learning ladder at some stage. All we can do is try to help, and answer best we can, patiently. Some newbies will be at the stage of not knowing what they don`t know(known unknowns, unknown unknowns, unknown knowns, etc, thanks to Donald Rumsfeld).
Here's close as I can see being "one size fits all" for newbies in boating.

1. Common Sense!

2. One full year minimum of intensive-reading on buying/owning/caring for boats

3. Common Sense

4. During the reading year... ask questions every place possible; forums, boat yards, brokers - etc

5. Common Sense

6. During the reading year... go aboard and fully review as many "for sale" boats as possible.

7. Common Sense

8. During the reading year... go out onto the water in as many boats as possible.

9. Common Sense!

Coming into the pleasure boat market with little to no previous experience is as or more difficult than trying to rebuild a classic car having no background. Everything can be done if desired fully enough. Pleasure boating included. Great efforts for learning are needed to be accomplished by a newbie.

Oh, and, did I mention - - > COMMON SENSE!

Happy Newbie-Common-Sense Daze! - Art

Good luck to all newbie boaters,.. and... oldbie boaters!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:36 AM   #38
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Because we've long since learned that every question, no matter how simple, generates multiple answers and opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
I don't see that as a bad thing.
I see it as a waste of time, at least on the internet. You get all these opinions, theories, and guesses from people who are just names on a screen with zero credibility unless you happen to know them personally and have been able to judge directly just how credible they are.

It's why we don't use the internet to get answers to important questions. Fluff stuff, like what's a good portable icemaker, that's fine. The answering posts are like user reviews on Amazon or whatever.

But important stuff, like what's the best diameter and pitch for the props on our boat, or what kind of engine mounts should we use for our FL120s, we go to the pros. Of course you have to be able to judge if a pro knows what he or she's talking about, too, but so far we've proven to be pretty good at that.

We are replacing the sight tubes on our four saddle tanks. I had questions about the correct material to use. E-mailed a friend who until his recent retirement was for decades the head of the engineering department at Alaska Diesel Electric aka Northern Lights/Lugger. He told me what needed to be taken into consideration with regards to new tubing, the kind of information I would need to have for the tubing supplier, and how to get it. Went to the boat and got it, called our diesel shop, explained what I wanted to do, they gave me the name of a fuel tubing shop in Bellingham, I called them, questions answered, tubing ordered.

No conflcting opinions, no guesses, no wading through endless discussions and arguments, just the right information right away, the first time.

As I said in my original post, forums are great fun, but they are no substitute for doing one's own research and going to the right people right off the bat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #39
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. A. Re: post #37. Problem is, common sense isn't so common anymore but you do have a point otherwise.
Mr. Marin. "...opinions, theories, and guesses..." Yes, indeed and I don't accept any of them until confirmed or cross checked but in some cases it causes me to "think outside the box" or practice my lateral thinking skills. ALL food for thought.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #40
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I see it as a waste of time, at least on the internet. You get all these opinions, theories, and guesses from people who are just names on a screen with zero credibility unless you happen to know them personally and have been able to judge directly just how credible they are.

It's why we don't use the internet to get answers to important questions. Fluff stuff, like what's a good portable icemaker, that's fine. The answering posts are like user reviews on Amazon or whatever.

But important stuff, like what's the best diameter and pitch for the props on our boat, or what kind of engine mounts should we use for our FL120s, we go to the pros. Of course you have to be able to judge if a pro knows what he or she's talking about, too, but so far we've proven to be pretty good at that.

We are replacing the sight tubes on our four saddle tanks. I had questions about the correct material to use. E-mailed a friend who until his recent retirement was for decades the head of the engineering department at Alaska Diesel Electric aka Northern Lights/Lugger. He told me what needed to be taken into consideration with regards to new tubing, the kind of information I would need to have for the tubing supplier, and how to get it. Went to the boat and got it, called our diesel shop, explained what I wanted to do, they gave me the name of a fuel tubing shop in Bellingham, I called them, questions answered, tubing ordered.

No conflcting opinions, no guesses, no wading through endless discussions and arguments, just the right information right away, the first time.

As I said in my original post, forums are great fun, but they are no substitute for doing one's own research and going to the right people right off the bat.
Marin - Exactly what you mention as knowledge gained by you is why boaters (newbies or otherwise) can ask questions on forums. Unless you or others having knowledge too refuse to provide said knowledge. Not everyone has access to channels of knowledge that others have. That is what an interactive forum is all about, i.e. "shared knowledge" is its highest calling... if you will. Even if the share is simply name and phone of an expert to call for gaining more knowledge. This cycle of interactive info helps all included in the mix. Vendors too!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote