There I was....embarrassing!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
So, there is this guy down the dock from us.* He is your typical elitist sailboater...somehow thinks he is better just because he has a sailboat.* He has always been perfectly cordial but gets in the occassional jab to the "powerboaters".* I let it slide because that is just the way I am.* ANd I am also a previous owner of 3 sailboats so I don't discriminate.

I had my boat detailed this past week.* The laborers that detailed mmy boat had obviously changed the docklines around like they always do.* On the port bow line they had looped the spliced end over the cleat on the boat and then went to the cleat on the dock and then went back to the cleat on the boat with a couple of cleat hitches....in essence, tying the boat up twice with the same line.

So I untie the boat and*we are leaving the slip with numbnutz elitist observing the maneuver.* The port bow line is still tied!!!!!* I had actually untied it!!!!* But as stated before, it was tied twice and I did not untie it twice.* It should have made sense to me while I was untying it but obviously my brain was on autopilot doing my normal routine which didn't include untying the bow twice.*

Anyway, I just provided even more ammo for this dumbass to raise his nose a little higher.* Of course, his boat never leaves the slip.* Ours does usually 2+ time a week.* Talk about piss me off!!!* I can handle it happening but the fact that it happened with this dude as a witness......AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John:* I did a similar thing with my dock neighbor, a retired 2 star admiral. ( I was a enlisted 2nd class Petty Officer) He is always asking me boating questions about proper knots, engine maintenance, etc. and when I tease him about his lack of boating knowledge, he responds with "I had 4500 guys on my ship* doing that for me."

The other day, we took a cruise on my boat with our wives, and in* my haste to shove off, and answering a thousand questions about my boat (He has a sail boat) I forgot to cast off the port bow line. He jumped on it and said "that's the one thing I never forgot to do when I was captain of the Midway." Man, that's embarrassing!

Yep, this is the first time I have ever done such a thing. Prolly won't be my last. ANd not that big of a deal. Just the witness.....

Aw, just flip the breaker off on his electrical stand as you leave after him one Sunday. He'll never know it was you, but depending on how anal he is he'll spend hours trying to find out what went wrong. Was it the fridge that overloaded the circuit or the charger? What do I do with all the melted popsicles? Are the steaks in the freezer bad because they thawed halfway?

Just keep feeding him possibilities of what went wrong and you'll more than make up for his little bit of pleasure at your expense.

Oh, and if you have the breakers that stay in that 'half' position, use a 30-15 amp (household plug) adapter and an old chunk of cord off whatever with the ends bared to short the circuit.
This will trip the breaker but not cause any damage to the plug or your adapter.

Ken

"He is your typical elitist sailboater...somehow thinks he is better just because he has a sailboat."

I have always thought the "trawler" owners* (at least in the tiny under 50ft size with no ocean ability)are* just the same.

A marine motorist that expects* PC "points" for having a "trawler "( shaped deck up configuration) , compared to the hated "Motor Yacht" operated by non Green Religion wake makers..

The most obnoxious* are the oxymoronic "Fast Trawer" that cruise at 12K on 18Gph, leaving a 6 ft high wake.
no.gif

-- Edited by FF on Monday 22nd of June 2009 04:15:09 AM

-- Edited by FF on Monday 22nd of June 2009 04:15:53 AM

-- Edited by FF on Monday 22nd of June 2009 04:19:08 AM

SeaHorse II wrote:

He jumped on it and said "that's the one thing I never forgot to do when I was captain of the Midway." Man, that's embarrassing!

OUCH!* But you have to admit (once the embarrassment fades a little) that's a GREAT line (pun intended)!

I thought the line went...."....at least that is how it happened when I was captain of the Saratoga!!!!".

2 bucks, that is just cruel. I would not do that unless the guy was an a-hole. He really isn't.

And FF, I dunno how to put it. But the bottom line is I don't judge a person based on what kind of boat he has....just on how he acts. I hang out with people that own many different types of boats and they are all fine folks. Btw, my boat is under 50ft and cruises at 15kts and puts out quite a bit of wake. Coincidently, my little "dreamkiller" has some pretty good manners in a roughed up seaway.* Call me what you will. Call me out on the water having fun. Call me the husband of a beautiful wife. Call me a dumbass in this particular case. I actually had a good conversation with this guy yesterday and he is a pretty good ****. Just a good sporting competitive type of exchange.* But as far as screw ups go, he is winning.* Pretty hard to screw up when you don't go out!

-- Edited by Baker on Monday 22nd of June 2009 09:15:17 AM

"Pretty hard to screw up when you don't go out!

As a 22+ year liveaboard my observations agree.

Doesn't matter how poor the boat is or the owners skills are if it doesn't leave the dock.

The only reason boat insurance is affordable is so few ever unplug the power hose.

As a pro outfitter my best customers were the "Soon's"

Soon's I get a bulbous bow , a flopper stopper , roll stabilization , bow and stern thrusters ,fuel refining, dual take home system, paired noisemakers , water maker and redundant windlasses and bigger fuel tanks , I can get 15 miles to the next marina.

Of course the ragbaggers had a different list of Soon's.

My next door neighbor, 46' post sportfish, is in the end slip. When he goes out he alway stays on the bridge while the wife takes off the lines. He thinks all are loose and takes off withown taking off a springline which is tied to the front pile. When he gets to the end of that line he has enough steam in the big DD that he takes the pile, which my boat is also tied to, and my boat halfway out of the slip. He and wife are very nice people and he now makes sure to watch wife to the lines so he doesn't embarress him self again. All of us got a good chuckle out of him including himself.

Back
Top Bottom