There are going to be some spectacular boats around Penboscot Bay this week!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
In addition to these two in the area, there will be about 100+ beautiful wood sail boats of all vintages participating in the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta and its feeder races.

And many of the sailboats will be coming with their powerboat tenders, some of which are works of art in their own right.

I'll try to take some pictures if conditions and prudent navigation allow.

<a href="http://www.panbo.com/archives/2011/08/bystander_velsheda_what_a_pair.html#more" target="_blank">
</a>

Absoulutely right! Here are some shots of the 1901 steam powered yacht Canguarda at her mooring on the east side of Islesboro. Did some homework and found she is the last steam powered yacht in North America. She was in the process of being refit in 1999, had all her interior appoitments off, and then the hull went down.*

-- Edited by BelfastCruiser on Monday 1st of August 2011 01:42:57 PM

Attachments

• canguarda sunk.jpg
    canguarda sunk.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 86
  • dscf2361.jpg
    dscf2361.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 120
  • dscf2362.jpg
    dscf2362.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 101
  • dscf2363.jpg
    dscf2363.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 97
BelfastCruiser wrote:
Absoulutely right! Here are some shots of the 1901 steam powered yacht Canguarda at her mooring on the east side of Islesboro. Did some homework and found she is the last steam powered yacht in North America. She was in the process of being refit in 1999, had all her interior appoitments off, and then the hull went down.*

-- Edited by BelfastCruiser on Monday 1st of August 2011 01:42:57 PM
Yes indeed. We saw her moored along the eastern shore of Isleboro on Sunday as we were coming back to Buck's from a night at Holbrook Sanctuary on the west side of Cape Rosier. I think maybe we saw her at the Egg Reach Regatta last year.

And, there is Medea as another surviving North American Steam yacht (if she is still in NA). And, finally, there is Ena, although not in NA but AU.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Monday 1st of August 2011 03:02:20 PM

My grandfather used to run a steamer from Castine to Belfast carrying freight, passengers, and mail. His boat was the GoldenRod. I've tried to research her, but there's not much available other than a few old postcards showing her tied up to the pier in Castine.
My grandmother was the postmaster in Castine, and we used to spend a lot of time there. One of the events I remember attending was the Retired Skippers Race, which would actually garner TV coverage from Bud Levitt. You had to be over 65 to enter, and there used to be some beautiful boats that would come to that race.

Wish we were free this weekend, we'd certainly head up for that.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom