Old 01-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #41
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Therapy

Back to my original comment, today is another cold January day with no boating.*
You PNW folks might want to look the other way.* All things considered,*I'd rather be where this guy is.** KJ*

[img]download.spark?ID=854822&aBID=115492[/img]

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 06:19:44 PM

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #42

City: Caye Caulker
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: 36' Marine Trader, D C
RE: Therapy

I moved to Belize,C.A. because the only way I ever want to see Ice, is floating in Rum! B.

belizebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #43
KJ
El Capitan

Therapy

Bill, I did some diving in Belize at Turneffe Atoll a couple of years ago.*
Simply phenomenal.**Wouldn't mind being there now.*** KJ

Turneffe Atoll, Belize
[img]download.spark?ID=854861&aBID=115492[/img]

Belize
[img]download.spark?ID=854929&aBID=115492[/img]

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 01:55:58 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 03:44:33 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 04:03:53 PM
Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #44

I live out on Caye Caulker
Old 01-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Bill,I live in Alaska and I've been thinking for some time about going to Belize. I hope to see pics. I have a book on Belize and will try to find you on a map. If you've ever driven through Mexico to Belize I'd like your take on that. Ideally I'd like a bungalow, a OB skiff and a couple of kayaks for about 3 months of the winter. One rarely gets utopia though.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #46
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
belizebill wrote:

I live out on Caye Caulker
Nice place to live.*I have a friend that worked at one of the dive shops on Caye Caulker.
I've been meaning to get down to Sapodilla Cayes and Gladden Spit for some whale shark diving.
Do you keep a boat down there?* Do you*dive?** KJ*

Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #47
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

KJ, that looks like Foxy's dock on Jost Van Dyke...* Am I right?

Been there many times, and now that we own our own boat we can't afford it any more!

Woody
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #48
KJ
El Capitan

Therapy

Absolutley right.* Heaven on earth.***

Foxy's Bar** Jost Van Dyke BVI
[img]download.spark?ID=855048&aBID=115492[/img]

Foxy Rymer

[img]download.spark?ID=855049&aBID=115492[/img]*

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 07:50:22 PM
Old 01-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #49
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:One thing that may not be that widely known is the amount of rampant racism and discrimination that still exists there. If you are not a native Hawaiian, good luck getting a job or being treated like anything but a second-class citizen.
First sentence is right, second sentence is dead wrong.* It's actually the other way round.* The "native" Hawaiians are very near the bottom of the economic scale and other than a more recent move toward trying to get "reparations" like the native tribes and blacks on the mainland, they are still at or near the bottom of the economic scale.* This was true in 1955 when we moved over there, it was true in 1979 when I left, and according to people I used to work with who have just recently moved to the PNW, it is still true today.

The "scale" in Hawaii goes like this, from the top down.

1. Chinese-Americans who actually own everything-- land, companies, banks, etc.

2.* Caucasians (haoles) who manage and run everything.

3.* Japanese-Americans who do everything in terms of office jobs, store clerks, broadcast engineers, etc.

4.* When I lived there the Filipinos were moving up the social scale as their position as the agricultural labor force was filled by Portuguese.* Agriculture is almost completely gone now, so I'm not sure today where the Filipinos and Portuguese sit on the economic and social scale.* Probably about even with the Japanese-Americans I'm guessing.

5.* Samoans.* Hawaii has a large Samoan population.* They were the "tough" ones who you don''t mess with or go into their neighborhoods at night.* The ones who work tend to have menial jobs.* When I lived there they had an absolute lock on the palm tree trimming business.* This is a major industry in Hawaii because palm trees on public property cannot achieve maturity with their coconuts because of the extreme danger to people below if the the coconuts start to fall.* So the coconuts have to be removed manually and given the vast number of them and the year-round growing season, trimming them a full-time profession.* The business is pretty lucrative and when I was there anyone who was not Samoan and who tried to get in on this business simpy "disappeared."* But outside of the tree-trimming work, Samoans didn't do much.

6.* Hawaiians.* The people who can trace their roots back to the Hawaiians who inhabited the islands first enjoy a very high social status because the islands' history is much revered by everyone.* But they were at the absolute bottom of the economic scale and from what I hear still are as a generality.* There are a number of reasons for this.

Obviously people from these six "groups" marry each other and their kids reflect all sorts of things.* So the common term for describing anyone who wasn't obvioulsy a caucasian (called haole over there, which is the Hawaiian word for white) is "local."** It's not a derogatory term, it's a way of physically describing somebody.* "He's a local guy," means that he's not a haole.

In the broader context "local" means an established resident.* So if your friend's statement is modified to read, "If you are not a local, good luck getting a job...." that is correct.* "Local" includes everyone listed above.* And your friend is correct in that, for the most part, locals automatically don't like newcomers.* Obviously a newcomer can live there long enough to earn "local" status at which point they are one and will dislike the newcomers as much as all the other locals.

And of course the absolute bottom of the barrel are tourists.* It's ironic that the same people who today provide the bulk of the state's income (they didn't when I first moved there, the military did) are the most despised people on the planet in Hawaii.* The locals aren't stupid--- they treat the tourists nice to their faces (usually) because they know what pays the bills.* But outside of that, tourists are despised with a ferocity you have to experience to believe.* I and the people I worked with in television were no different.

So... melting pot of the Pacific, as the Hawaii Visitor's Bureau used to say, it ain't.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #50
KJ
El Capitan

Therapy

Alternative Therapy**** At last-- blue skies and sunshine, but still pretty cold.
As the once great Zen Master ObiWan Kenobi said "two*out of three ain't bad".

Strawberry Flats, Sierra Nevada Mts,* 1/10/11
[img]download.spark?ID=855891&aBID=115492[/img]

-- Edited by KJ on Monday 10th of January 2011 10:58:26 PM
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #51
Scraping Paint

Where's the ocean?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #52
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Therapy

And why not the Swiss Alps in late October 2010 in the comfort of a train?

Love those stone-arch bridges!

An Adriatic/Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean*cruise (Venice to New York)*followed shortly!

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 10th of January 2011 11:13:20 PM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #53
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Where's the ocean?
It's about 80 miles to the west.* They call it San Francisco Bay, a beautiful place.*

Old 01-11-2011, 12:04 AM   #54
Scraping Paint

Quote:
KJ wrote:

Marin wrote:

Where's the ocean?
It's about 80 miles to the west.* They call it San Francisco Bay, a beautiful place.*

No, doesn't count.* It's south of the Oregon border.* Our boat spent it's whole life in San Francisco Bay until we liberated it in 1998.* To this day every time we get on the boat it thanks us profusely for taking it out of that hell-hole.* It's becoming embarrassing.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #55
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
Marin wrote:

KJ wrote:

Marin wrote:

Where's the ocean?

No, doesn't count.* It's south of the Oregon border.* Our boat spent it's whole life in San Francisco Bay until we liberated it in 1998.* To this day every time we get on the boat it thanks us profusely for taking it out of that hell-hole.* It's becoming embarrassing.

There are some members of this forum that live in the San Francisco Bay area.* I think you owe them an apology.* No one is showing such disrespect for your living area.* I'm sure these folks are quite happy and proud of where they live.* It's seems like you have to debate every topic that comes up and find someway to put a negative spin on it. It gets old real fast.* The San Francisco Bay area has some very beautiful places. I don't think you have the right to call someones else's residence a "hell-hole".

Old 01-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #56

I have driven down here to Belize, from Sarasota ,Florida. I would not do it right now because of all the violence in the north.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my front yard 001.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	4153  
Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #57

I have a 26 C.C. and I dive and fish alot. Going back to Fla. in Feb. to look over several Trawler sedans to bring down here. Been looking for a year on line,now its time to walk some docks. Bill
Old 01-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #58
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

belizebill,Nothing better than walk'in docks.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #59

Belizebill

You must have your directions confused. The real violence is South and West of you. The violent crime rate in Belize is over twice that of Mexico and your chances of being a victim of police corruption is also greater in Belize. It's just a much smaller country.

Willy

before you consider Belize, do some serious study.

The murder rate in Belize is over 6 times that of the US and it has some of the most restrictive gun possession laws in the Caribbean. Prohibition of flare guns and bullet proof vests is now before the National Assembly.

Drug use and sale is rampant.

Belize is by far the most expensive country in Central America and one of the most expensive in the Caribbean.

Police corruption is a way of life.

Infrastructure is non-existent.

Beef is terrible but fish is great.

Beer is terrible and expensive.

The educational system is abysmal.

Unless you live in a bunker, you can not live in Belize part-time without a caretaker. The philosophy generally is " you have it, I want it so it is OK to take it."

Of course most of the above is no different than most of the rest of Central America or the Caribbean.

Now the good parts:

Rum is cheap in all respects.

From one of the finest beaches in Belize in front of my house, within a 15 min. drive I can be in a savannah, jungle and and mountain waterfalls.

The people, in general, are wonderful especially the older generation. A good number of the younger generation are thugs, *thieves and druggies.

It is a beautiful diverse country.

You can actually own property as a foreigner.

Taxes are almost non-existent. The property taxes on my beachfront 5000 sqft home are USD $16/yr.

I do not regret building in Belize, but if I were doing it again today I would seriously consider Mexico or Honduras.
rhprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #60
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Mr. BB.* Is that your dock or the one in front of Chocolate's dive shop?* It DOES appear to be on front street.

RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote