Old 01-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Therapy

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

We did a 7 day cruise on a big Royal Caribbean ship out of vancouver up into AK- man talk about beautiful! *Every time I saw someone out in their boat cruising around I kept thinking how NICE that would be.**
After my fifth big-ship Alaskan cruise (NCL, Holland America, Princess) seeing sights like this, I couldn't resist getting my own boat.

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 8th of January 2011 02:30:59 PM

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Therapy

Quote:
KJ wrote:

Looks like you're doing a great job "guarding" the beach!
Thanks, it is a tough job, but necessary.* I am getting very depressed.* Until Marin's post I was just enjoying the secluded beaches, aqua marine waters. unspoiled reefs, lobsters, fresh fish, and island breezes---yes, even the*sun!* I guess that it was just ignorance on my part.* Now I can't wait to get home, sell everything, pack up and move north.* Wait! What am I saying?* I have never heard of anyone doing that before!* Poor bas--------, I guess they just haven't seen what gloom can do for you.

You can see how unhappy I have become.* I guess this will be my last report from my beach job.

Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #23
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

I would be more than glad to relieve you of your beach job, just leave the chair and the cervezas.*
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:

Last* week I was skiing. This week I am on Maui. The means of conveyance is an airplane. Marin and Baker know this device well.

If only we and Airbus still remembered how to make them I bet we could make a lot of money selling them.....

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #25
Guru

Therapy

KJ wrote

I would be more than glad to relieve you of your beach job, just leave the chair and the cervezas.*

__________________________________________________ ___

Thanks, I'll keep the seat warm for you.* Kalik is the beer of the Bahamas, but never while working security.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 8th of January 2011 04:02:34 PM
Old 01-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

Therapy

Quote:
KJ wrote:

I'm actually envious of Marin, growing up in Hawaii.*
Don't be. You would be amazed at how many people from the mainland move to Hawaii thinking it will be this utopia with wonderful weather, and within a few years they move back to the mainland.* The never-changing weather gets to them, and the fact you can't go anywhere gets to them.* While I will probably never do it I love the fact I can drive a few miles from my house, get on I-90 and can drive on I-90 all the way to Boston.

There is a MAJOR difference between visiting a place like Hawaii for a week or two and living there full-time.* For example, nobdody I knew in shcool or when I was working in television went to the beach much other than the guys in high school who were into surfing.* Nobody marveled at the palm trees or the sunsets.* We bitched about the traffic and the tourists and like people everywhere else concentrated on our school or work and just dealing with life.* We could have been in LA or Denver in that respect.* Paradise is only paradise to people who don't live there.* For the people who do, it's as much a hassle as anywhere else.

True, we didn't have to deal with snow and ice storms.* But we had to deal with termites, rats, and cockroaches.* Billions of them.* When we'd hear people talk about their Hawaiian vacations and how wonderful it was and how beautiful everything is we'd say to each other "Where the hell were they?* They sure weren't in this Hawaii."

Which is why when I hear people at work today talking about taking a vactaction to Hawaii I always wonder, "Why go there when there are so many other FAR more fascinating and intriguing places on the planet to go?"* I've been very lucky in that my employer has sent us to many of these places.* I'm not a fan of the tropics at all, but I've been to the Seychelles and Reunion Island and they make Hawaii look pretty pathetic in comparison.

I know a number of people here in the Seattle area who lived for a long time in Hawaii or were born and grew up there.* Almost all of them feel the same way about the place as I do.* Which is probably pretty typical of people no matter where they're from.* The grass is always greener someplace else until you get there.

I must say though that, not counting Seattle itself, I have never regretted moving to the Pacific Northwest at all.* It has totally lived up to my expectations and surpassed them, and continues to do so today. I include BC in my definition of the PNW, by the way--- BC is fabulous, even better than Washington.* All of BC, not just the coastal waters.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 8th of January 2011 04:16:49 PM
Old 01-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

Quote:
markpierce wrote:After my fifth big-ship Alaskan cruise (NCL, Holland America, Princess) seeing sights like this, I couldn't resist getting my own boat.

I can relate to that.* My first view of coastal BC was on a ship coming down the Inside Passage courtesy of the winch on my Land Rover.* That trip motivated me to move here from Hawaii although it took me two years to get up the nerve to do it.

But it was all the floatplane trips my wife and I have taken up the Inside Passage and into SE Alaska that planted the idea of someday exploring the area in a boat large enough to tdo this.* Hence the GB.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Nothing wrong with your love of the PNW, Marin. It is certainly stunningly beautiful!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Mark,
I see your pics. Ketchikan floats and big rocks. Locals here cal Prince of Wales Island** ..
"the rock" . People w cabin fever say "gotta get off the rock". Here's another hbr in Ketchikan. Thomas Basin. The original hbr in Ketchikan*** ..I think. This place is not like Hawaii was to Marin**** ...I like it more and more. But the Hawaii thing that Marin describes happens a lot up here. It's said that the average person that comes to Alaska stays 5 yrs. A year or two ago I was almost ready to go back to Washington but not now. Needed to adjust to the lifestyle. There's a program on Alaska (mostly hunting and fishing) on the travel channel this evening. It's ch 277 Direct TV. The second pic is of our house after much snow. The 3rd was taken up on the hill looking down on the great city of Thorne Bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all to 12-15-09 436.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	4116   Click image for larger version

Name:	all to 12-15-09 328.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	4117   Click image for larger version

Name:	all to 12-15-09 260.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	4118  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #30
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
Wow,* I recognize EVERY boat in that photo, we were docked just out of the photo to the South. I was driving the blue pick-up in the upper left corner.* Small world.......................Arctic Traveller

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 8th of January 2011 02:30:59 PM
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #31
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

Jeez guys, lighten up.*Nobody is disagreeing with you on how nice the PNW is.
We're just making passing comments that some of us would like to be on a warm sunny beach on a cold winter day. That's all. No indictment of where you live or the pro's and con's of living in Hawaii.*Some people like sunny weather and some don't.
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #32
Guru

Do you guys think that when I move back north that I should enclose my bimini top on the dinghy with Isenglass?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #33
Veteran Member

yes
surveyor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Therapy

Woodsong said.....

"One should really only need 2 pairs of shoes. Anything more than this and life is too complicated and (at least for me) being lived in the wrong latitude. Those shoes should be: A) A pair of every day flip flops. B) A pair of dress flip flops for church on Sundays and formal gatherings. So far, I have yet to find a flaw in my theory. smile"

One might suggest, drop out the church bit, and you'd only need one pair of flip flops, which we call thongs, and NZers call Jandals. However, medically speaking they are not good for your feet, better to be bare-footed, so in the end you need none at all going by that reasoning.....maybe that's the flaw in Tony's theory....? Oh maybe one set of reef shoes would be good...?

As to Marin not missing Hawaii - I can relate to that. We live a short drive from both the Gold Coast (South of us 90Kms) and Noosa (North of us 150Kms) - both regarded as prime tourist destinations, and I like to visit them occasionally, but live there - no way. Hawaii is like a giant version of those places I understand.
Living somewhere more ordinary is more relaxing and yet motivates one to go to different places for the novelty.

Sunset at Coochiemudlo Island, Moreton Bay

-- Edited by Peter B on Saturday 8th of January 2011 11:25:59 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image009.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	4121  
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #35
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Therapy

Living and working on the boat can be good therapy even during the 9 months*of rain in the PNW.* Relaxing just reading and listening to music with the rain pounding down on the roof.* The 3 weeks of summer is the best sitting out in the sweltering 80+ degree sun drying out the boat and putting so color on the Lilly white skin.*There is just something knowing the boat is bone dry, warm and everything works because you made it happen.* I enjoy enjoy working down in the engine room as its carpeted, piped in music and 65+ degrees, and I enjoy the hours of maintaining the bright teak trim, rails and deck. **So why live on the dirt when you can live on a boat?

In the summer we get the most beautiful sun sets in the world with the sun going down and how it makes the rain clouds the color of organ, blue and grey over the white cap Olympic Mountains. We have several pictures and paintings hung around the boat which match the teak wood and the décor. **Just across the rive from the Everett Marina is Jetty Island all sand with shallow water that goes out about ˝ mile.* Many days take the dink to walking, blob my*ass and toes in the sand and watching the wild life as many times there are whale off the island, eagles and other sea animals.* In between the rain and storms of course.***
How can you go with only two pair of shoes?* I have dozens and that is still not enough!* Shoot, in tennis shoes, I have 5 pair, then there is sandals, dress and boots.* But shopping is relaxing exercise and therapy*as not having the right pair of shoes can be stressful. ********

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Sunday 9th of January 2011 10:28:03 AM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Sunday 9th of January 2011 10:33:04 AM
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:

Living and working on the boat can be good therapy even during the9 months are rain in the PNW.* There is something relaxing just reading and listening to music with the rain bounding down on the roof.* The 3 weeks of summer is the best sitting out in the sweltering 80+ degree sun drying our the boat and putting so color on the Lilly white skin.* There is just something knowing the boat is bone dry, warm and everything works because you made it happen.* I enjoy checking and working down in the engine room as its carpeted, piped in music and 65+ degrees, and I enjoy the hours of maintaining the bright teak trim, rails and deck. **So why live on the dirt when you can live on a boat?

In the summer we get the most beautiful sun sets in the world with then sun going down and how it makes the clouds the color of organ, blue and grey over the white cap Olympic Mountains. We have several pictures and paintings hung around the boat which match the teak wood and the décor. **Just across the rive from the Everett Marina is JettyIsland all sand with shallow water that goes out about ˝ mile.* Many days taking the dink to walking, blob my but and toes in the sand and watching the wild life as many times there are whale off the island, eagles and other sea animals.* In between the rain and storms of course.* *
You get it Phil Fill.* To paraphrase a lady that I think said it best, life can be simpler on a boat, but in such a magnificant way.* That sums it up in few words.

I also love to be inside the boat warm and dry with rain or wind surrounding me.* the fact that you are so close to nature on a boat is a wonderful thing.* Inside our homes we are so insulated from nature.* On a boat we are in the midst of it.

I seem to be one of the few people that likes to walk in the rain.* A warm dry slicker can give a similar effect.* This seems to be controversial today, but I see nature as God's handiwork.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #37
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

I think that one of the big draws to a boat.. especially a cruising boat is that if you don't like the place you are at the moment.... you can go somewhere else. The snow birds do it in motor homes ( and I used to make fun of them but I am starting to understand it more ). As a desert kid this time of year in the PNW really starts to get old.... yes I live in a great place... I have a unobstructed view of the Olympic Range as I type.... but the cold, dreary, wet starts to get old. We spent two years chasing the summers back and forth across the Pacific and that never got old... but the view was always changing!.* Yesterday the talking weather heads ranted on about the coming snow and cold here in the PNW.... we spent part of the day looking at sail boats ( don't give me any guff about that.... we go both ways! ) in Seattle.... needless to say we didn't need to wait to speak to yacht brokers.... the docks were empty.* we are in the stages of long range planning .... we will keep a boat in the Caribbean and spend 7 mos. of so down there ( winter ) and the summers up here... the best of both worlds!.
Looking at boats yesterday was as good as planning a trip to the sun on a snowy day...
That's therapy..
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #38
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Don't be. You would be amazed at how many people from the mainland move to Hawaii thinking it will be this utopia with wonderful weather, and within a few years they move back to the mainland.

We knew someone that moved to Hawaii several years ago and quickly returned. One thing that may not be that widely known is the amount of rampant racism and discrimination that still exists there. If you are not a native Hawaiian, good luck getting a job or being treated like anything but a second-class citizen.
ANYWAY... back to the point of the thread... Thanks for all the pics, but I somehow find it less comforting than I had hoped
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #39
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Therapy

Peter B:

It is a bit of a stretch to say the coasts above and below Brisbane are like Hawaii. Climate, geology, terrain, golf, surfing, prevailing winds, native culture, vegetation, animals, bugs and fish are very different when comparing the two. Not that one place is better or worse, they are just very, very different. It is kind of like saying the PNW is like New England. Some on this forum would agree I'm sure with the latter comparison. Can a resort or homeowner on the Gold Coast*own*the beaches and restrict access?

Gonzo:

You are correct, do not come to Hawaii looking for a job, unless you have specific skills which are much in demand or hard to find on the Islands. Discrimination, hardly. Just good sense to hire your brother in law. And all the natives are related it seems. Last night I went to a show at the Hyatt - it was a troupe of Russian "circus" performers with a few Hula girls and gymnast locals thrown in. The Hawaiians were able to do something to Capt Cook the Australian natives were reluctant to do - ripped out his heart. Don't mess with the locals.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Sunday 9th of January 2011 11:31:43 AM
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #40

City: Western WA

Our little sun worshipper enjoying a hot summer's day in Fossil Bay, Sucia Island WA
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscn0916.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	4122  

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote