Old 07-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Thanks for stern tie PVC reel suggestion

A while back one of you ingenious folks posted a pick of a stern tie reel that you made using the lines spool and PVC pipe. I copied the idea since it was cheap and I was going to need something for this trip. I searched but couldn't find the post and can't recall whose idea I stole. So here is an open thanks to whomever it was. It has worked amazingly well. I used PVC pipe and fittings, then a piece of wood doweling screwed to the inside of the PVC that drops into one OD the rod holders that are mounted on my aft cockpit bulkhead.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469805924.513372.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	54657

What I haven't got around to doing is to put a knob for cranking the spool as the originator did. It would make winding it quicker and easier but even without it it winds up quickly. I bought a 600' spool of Samson float line that has worked great. I believe it was
Norther Spy that suggested it.

Almost forgot to mention thanks to HW for his suggestion of a piece of tape to make the line when the bitter end makes it to the shore anchor point. Simple and effective idea.

Thanks once again TF.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Good idea.

I think I'd use schedule 80 PVC for a stouter mount.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #3

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

Almost forgot to mention thanks to HW for his suggestion of a piece of tape to make the line when the bitter end makes it to the shore anchor point. Simple and effective idea.
Can you please explain this a bit more? I'm not sure I follow...
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Me too looking for some info.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkab View Post
Can you please explain this a bit more? I'm not sure I follow...

Hawgwash explained it Ina thread somewhere, but the idea is that you take the line from your stern to the shore. Once you have reached your anchor point you bring the bitter end of the line back to the boat. Rather than try to pull all that line back to the boat from around your shore attachment point, you have someone on the boat tape the line when you reach the shore. That way you can haul in enough slack while on shore to make it all the way back to your boat. I am doing a terrible job of describing it but it is dead simple. Also an idea I would never have thought of.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
Guru

City: Vermont
Looks good. Let us know what you come up with for a knob. I struggled with that and ended up buying a small caster (yes, the wheel-thing that lets stuff roll around) and screwing the base to the reel. I then can grab the wheel of the caster and use it as a crank without getting blisters. It's a seriously hokey arrangement, but is the best I could come up with at the time.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Hawgwash explained it Ina thread somewhere, but the idea is that you take the line from your stern to the shore. Once you have reached your anchor point you bring the bitter end of the line back to the boat. Rather than try to pull all that line back to the boat from around your shore attachment point, you have someone on the boat tape the line when you reach the shore. That way you can haul in enough slack while on shore to make it all the way back to your boat. I am doing a terrible job of describing it but it is dead simple. Also an idea I would never have thought of.
You describe it just fine Dave.

Only thing different I did was use a twist tie. I said zip tie in my original but meant twist. The twist tie is easier to remove either at shore or at the boat when hauled in. I twisted it off at shore because, sure as shootin' I'd forget at haul in and next thing I got a dozen on there.

You don't necessarily need to be in your final anchor position.

When the marker reaches you on shore, you know you have enough piled at your feet to make it back to the boat.

Cleat the bitter end and adjust the reel end.
Barb's yer uncle.

Edit...
The original rope spool idea was put up by sunchaser and Irene here: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...e-24250-6.html
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:45 PM   #8
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Some of the auto supply shops should have a steering wheel knob.
If not, try a tractor dealer.

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:33 PM   #9
Guru

Hawgwash, the link you gave didn't get me to the right post, but it was Sundancer. Thanks.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-29-2016, 11:43 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Hawgwash, the link you gave didn't get me to the right post, but it was Sundancer. Thanks.
That must be some damn good rum you got there Davey boy. It was Sunchaser, not Sundancer; that's a Sea Ray. The link was page 6 of the thread and if you scroll up or down, to post 103...there he is.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #11
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Some of the auto supply shops should have a steering wheel knob.
If not, try a tractor dealer.

Ted
The trouble with a steering wheel knob and pretty much any device one would normally use has more to do with the big plastic spool than anything else. The spool I got, which looks the same as DHays, is plastic and is hollow inside. The result is that there isn't anything very solid to attach a knob to. The base plate of my make-shift caster-knob served to spread the load out over a reasonable surface of the plastic.

I think the ideal arrangement would be some sort of end plate cut to match the end of the spool and attached to the plastic surface, then a proper knob like you describe attached to the plate. The plate could be marine board or pretty much whatever you prefer.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:27 AM   #12
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
The trouble with a steering wheel knob and pretty much any device one would normally use has more to do with the big plastic spool than anything else. The spool I got, which looks the same as DHays, is plastic and is hollow inside. The result is that there isn't anything very solid to attach a knob to. The base plate of my make-shift caster-knob served to spread the load out over a reasonable surface of the plastic.

I think the ideal arrangement would be some sort of end plate cut to match the end of the spool and attached to the plastic surface, then a proper knob like you describe attached to the plate. The plate could be marine board or pretty much whatever you prefer.
Good point,
Probably easier than pouring an epoxy or dense foam into the section
you want to make the attachment.

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
That must be some damn good rum you got there Davey boy. It was Sunchaser, not Sundancer; that's a Sea Ray. The link was page 6 of the thread and if you scroll up or down, to post 103...there he is.

Lol, yeah maybe. I did buy it in Canada after all. I am using the TF app on my iPad and I am not very familiar with it yet.

Sorry Sunchaser for screwing up the credits. In any event, your idea has worked great for me.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #14
Guru

Couldn't we rig something with a couple old bicycle sprockets and a lawn mower engine?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Lol, yeah maybe. I did buy it in Canada after all. I am using the TF app on my iPad and I am not very familiar with it yet.

Sorry Sunchaser for screwing up the credits. In any event, your idea has worked great for me.
Blame it on the sun.
Kids on the road today? Going back via the island or mainland?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Couldn't we rig something with a couple old bicycle sprockets and a lawn mower engine?

Or a spool mounted to a stationary bike up on the boat deck. :-)

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Blame it on the sun.
Kids on the road today? Going back via the island or mainland?

Today we will head back to Westview, spend the night, then they will catch the ferry to Comox drive down to Naniamo, and catch the ferry to Tsawwassen. Northern Spy recommended we look at that route and it turned out to be less travel time, less driving, more ferry time, and the runs were less crowded so they were able to get reservations both directions as opposed to going down the mainland. I would think it will avoid some traffic in Vancouver as well.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Today we will head back to Westview, spend the night, then they will catch the ferry to Comox drive down to Naniamo, and catch the ferry to Tsawwassen. Northern Spy recommended we look at that route and it turned out to be less travel time, less driving, more ferry time, and the runs were less crowded so they were able to get reservations both directions as opposed to going down the mainland. I would think it will avoid some traffic in Vancouver as well.
Yeah, even though Vancouver downtown can be somewhat bypassed, tomorrow is probably one of the busiest days of the year. Save the sunshine coast for another time.

If they have time between Comox and Nanaimo they should consider taking at least part the old highway, 19A through Qualicum and Parksville.

The border shouldn't be too crazy tomorrow but they can keep an eye on the wait time signs, use an app or listen to AM1130 for regular border reports. Also the truck crossing via #15 is often a little quicker. There are others but I don't want to confuse things.

So, how did they enjoy themselves overall?