TF Burgee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I seem to recall a TF burgee was made a few years ago? Or my murky memory is getting that confused with just talking about it in the past...

Sister-site Cruiser Forum offered a burgee with tiny signal flags signaling "C" and "F". Purchased same but never received recognition. Maybe because we've a motorboat while the cruiser forum is mostly sailboats. Whatever. Nevertheless, a readily-recognizable Trawler Forum burgee would be welcome. Note burgee on port spreader.

Attachments

• coot with sails.JPG
    coot with sails.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 98
I'd suggest that anyone interested in submitting a design review the recommendations from the Burgee Shop

They have some pretty good info, Do's & Don'ts and sample designs.
It looks like they will review and comment on potential designs and provide a service to register a burgee design once it's completed.
Both seem like reasonable steps after we have a design candidate.

I say screw the burgee. Burgees are for Yacht Clubs. Burgees make lots of noise.

I think we should fly something different and distinctive, but each a unique expression of its owner.

I vote for windsocks! They don't flap in the wind, they're unique and they can be great wind direction and strength indicators. I've been flying mine for several years and it's been a welcome replacement to a burgee. I never intended it that way but that's what happened in the end.

I suppose there are plenty of folks who prefer the flag due to its legacy...we always did it that way. But I bet once you try a windsock, you'll never go back!

All I did was add a screw and washer on the top of the burgee for a pivot point. No special design needed...make it your own. Whattayathink?

Attachments

• Windsock.jpg
    Windsock.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Al, you're unique, and I was awaiting your windsock response. Nevertheless, maybe you can start something and provide a sock distinctive for trawler guys. I'm game.

Last edited:
I say screw the burgee. Burgees are for Yacht Clubs. Burgees make lots of noise.

I think we should fly something different and distinctive, but each a unique expression of its owner.

I vote for windsocks! They don't flap in the wind, they're unique and they can be great wind direction and strength indicators.

No special design needed...make it your own. If you see a windsock, chances are it's a TFer! Whattayathink?

Hi Al

The pilot in you spill forth. LOL

Make your windsock entry good looking and distinctive, re TF.

That's my recommendation!

Last edited:

I vote for windsocks! They don't flap in the wind, they're unique and they can be great wind direction and strength indicators.

No special design needed...make it your own. If you see a windsock, chances are it's a TFer! Whattayathink?

Maybe if we were a sailing forum...

Ted

View attachment 81783Please excuse the rough look, just found a website that lets you design a very basic burgee. I used red and black because it’s the color of the existing TF logo. Also the font is as close as they had ( but the F is f’ed up:blush:) The white line I had to finger draw on might represent a rope detail. I hope there’s someone out there with a better design program than what I was able to do on my iPad at the moment.

Perfect....two birds with one stone...burgee for the group....with my initials

Toni Froehling

Recall TF pics of TFers with TF T-Shirts?

Maybe if we were a sailing forum...

Ted

The most practical use of a burgee or windsock mounted on the bow is to indicate the relative wind direction and sense of wind speed. Applies to both sail and motor-powered boats. :)

This isn't a flag this is a burgee. The stark difference is the distance at which you see it and the idea that it's purpose isn't to make you stay away or come seeking it. While it should be easily recognizable, it should also spark curiosity. One only needs to look at the AGLCA burgees to see that they each (all 3) are easily recognizable, and if you Google the lettering, you instantly know the organization.

Ted

I hate to say that you're wrong, so I'll let these resources clarify:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgee

A burgee is a distinguishing flag, regardless of its shape, of a recreational boating organization.[1] In most cases, they have the shape of a pennant.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/burgee

1 : a swallow-tailed flag used especially by ships for signals or identification
2 : the usually triangular identifying flag of a yacht club

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/burgee

noun
a triangular flag or one having a shallow, angular indentation in the fly, forming two tails, used as an identification flag, especially by yachts.

Bacchus Entry In Burgee Contest

OK gang... here is Bacchus's entry in the TF Burgee Design Contest.

First some background / Explanation...

Overall Design - Based on nautical signal flags - What could be more appropriate???

See above link & attached pics of Kilo - Tango - Foxtrot & burgee..

The Background - A stylized "K" Kilo signal flag also means "I wish to Communicate with you"... our basic reason for existing!

Superimposed on the background are stylized "T" Tango and "F" Foxtrot flags

Pros - simple, basic shapes, no hard to read text, nautical by design, likely to invoke discussion / query as to what it means?

Cons - While simple in principal there are a lot of colors / shape blocks to construct?
Don't know how this would stand up to Don't the critique of the Burgee Meisters
Not understood by others - but most "outsiders" wouldn't know what a text "TF" means either... and more likely to take it incorrectly

Bottom line -it's a start if anyone else likes it... open to suggestions

Attachments

• ICS_Kilo.svg.png
    ICS_Kilo.svg.png
    265 bytes · Views: 354
  • ICS_Tango.svg.png
    ICS_Tango.svg.png
    195 bytes · Views: 362
  • ICS_Foxtrot.svg.png
    ICS_Foxtrot.svg.png
    788 bytes · Views: 360
  • Burgee 1.jpg
    Burgee 1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 75
I'm not sure how it would go over for a burgee with but I've always liked the cartoon boat drawings by Robert Perry. Pick a popular trawler, cartoon it and incorporate TF in it somehow. Just thinking.:hide:

Last edited:
Bacchus Burgee Entry #2

OK gang... here is Bacchus's entry #2.

Again some background / Explanation...

Overall Design - Based on nautical signal flags - What could be more appropriate???

See above link & attached pics of Kilo & burgee..

The Background - A stylized "K" Kilo signal flag also means "I wish to Communicate with you"... our basic reason for existing!

Superimposed on the background are Block style "T" & "F"

Pros - SIMPLE, limited to 2 colors, very basic shapes, no hard to read text, nautical by design, likely to invoke discussion / query as to what it means?

Cons - Don't know how this would stand up to the critique of the Burgee Meisters but I will guess better than My #1

Again... open to suggestions

Attachments

• ICS_Kilo.svg.png
    ICS_Kilo.svg.png
    265 bytes · Views: 351
  • Burgee 2.jpg
    Burgee 2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 73
Don, what would it look like on the other side? Would it read TF, or FT, or would the letters be backwards?

Don, what would it look like on the other side? Would it read TF, or FT, or would the letters be backwards?

Good question and I'm no expert here but believe it comes out as mirror image on reverse for any burgee. We would have to inquire to one of the many burgee providers for any design we consider.
That's an issue w/ almost any design unless it is very simple and symmetrical.

That's the problem as they get fancier and more complex - I figure with big block letter at least you can make out what it is and that it's backwards and needs interpretation

Don
I like both your entries. Maybe #2 a tad more for the easy to understand aspect. Both great looking.

Just a little history... Cruisers Forum (sister site) had burgees made several years ago at Prestige flags after a design contest. It's surprisingly expensive to have a weather worthy burgee made but here's what we ended up with:

CF Burgee_detail.jpg

This one is entirely sewn except for the cruisersforum.com which was screened on with outdoor worthy ink.

The swallow tail is nice...

OK gang... here is Bacchus's entry in the TF Burgee Design Contest.

First some background / Explanation...

See above link & attached pics of Kilo - Tango - Foxtrot & burgee..

Superimposed on the background are stylized "T" Tango and "F" Foxtrot flags

Pros - simple, basic shapes, no hard to read text, nautical by design, likely to invoke discussion / query as to what it means?

Cons - While simple in principal there are a lot of colors / shape blocks to construct?

Don't know how this would stand up to Don't the critique of the Burgee Meisters

Not understood by others - but most "outsiders" wouldn't know what a text "TF" means either... and more likely to take it incorrectly

Bottom line -it's a start if anyone else likes it... open to suggestions

I really like this. I like the idea of using the signal code designs in the burgee. I also like the added touch that Janet’s example showed of having the web address going vertically.

The only question is how busy it is. Forgoing the Kilo element, and going with a solid block background would clean that up a bit.

Anyway, I like this much better than the text letters. Having said that, I’m a huge fan of my own YCs burgee. Tacoma Yacht Club. Clean and pretty easy to recognize from a distance.
https://www.cal20.org/Images/Burgees/tacoma.jpg

I hate to say that you're wrong, so I'll let these resources clarify:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgee

A burgee is a distinguishing flag, regardless of its shape, of a recreational boating organization.[1] In most cases, they have the shape of a pennant.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/burgee

1 : a swallow-tailed flag used especially by ships for signals or identification
2 : the usually triangular identifying flag of a yacht club

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/burgee

noun
a triangular flag or one having a shallow, angular indentation in the fly, forming two tails, used as an identification flag, especially by yachts.

Clearly you missed the point. Of course it's a type of flag. What you missed is that most burgees have minimal importance. In WW2 it was important for a soldier to know the flags, insignias, etc of all nations forces you were likely to encounter. A burgee on the other hand has almost no meaningful significance to the observer.

Ted

Just a little history... Cruisers Forum (sister site) had burgees made several years ago at Prestige flags after a design contest. It's surprisingly expensive to have a weather worthy burgee made but here's what we ended up with:

View attachment 81830

This one is entirely sewn except for the cruisersforum.com which was screened on with outdoor worthy ink.

Janet
Do you gave a shot of what tbe reverse side loojs like?

Nice. Let's copy that.

A wrench and paint brush!

I would submit something but I can't figure out how to draw a broken raw water pump.

Rochepoint, post 27... still has my "Burgee Vote" - so far!

Perhaps the TF logo could even be slightly enlarged by moving it toward front of burgee.

Seems to me that burgee design would not only be quite appealing to the eye... [I like the white space around logo] but, in addition it would draw considerable requests from persons viewing the burgee.

That is if they get to clearly see the logo... because:

We all know that when there is little to no breeze and the little burgee's material down folds [slumps] at rest, as well as when there is stiff breeze fluttering burgee material at rapid sequence... that... virtually no one can tell what the burgee says nor means. That is, unless the burgee depicts certain maritime colors and signals. However... with that said... 1. How could a maritime color/symbol filled burgee inform viewers of Trawler Forum, and; 2. How many % of pleasure boaters actually understand maritime color/symbol meanings?

Therefore - Rochepoint, post 27... still has my "Burgee Vote" - so far!

Seems to me that in most instances we individual boaters would need to begin conversation with visiting boaters regarding TF. In that way, the logo on burgee could become a point of interest and fold well into the discussion about TF!

Greetings,
Mr. A. You bring up an interesting point regarding recognizability. In MY case,it would perhaps give me a lead time advantage when fleeing another TF member. I'm still surprised there is no reaction to post #33.

Great idea, long over due, you can count me in for 2, 1 to fly and a spare.
IR.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom