Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
I wouldn't.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
You don't want your spouse to come? (Confused)
Old 08-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
I wouldn't.
Good for you and while less than a minute for the first flip answer has to be some kind of record, I really would like to know why folks consciously chose down.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
When we were contemplating acquiring a GB46 we much preferred the galley down configuration. It makes the main cabin a lot more roomy, open and versatile.

The GB46 galley down design does not isolate the galley from the main cabin as is the case with other makes of boat. Instead the bulkhead between the main cabin and the galley is a sort of "half wall." So people in the main cabin can see and converse with someone in the galley, and it makes the galley itself more open, brighter and spacious feeling.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Good for you and while less than a minute for the first flip answer has to be some kind of record, I really would like to know why folks consciously chose down.
Woa!!!

You asked a simple question. In asking why a person would want a galley down, you are also inviting why or if somewould not want a galley down design.

Something elso you need to consider here...

You don't just get a galley down, you get all that comes with it.

As a for example I've never seen a pilothouse boat with a galley down design. Not to say they do not exist but galley down design is not common on pilothouse boats.

Many of the aft cabin boats seem to have a galley down btw...

So, you need to look at the bigger picture of what design types favor certain placement of the main functional areas of a boat, because in choosing one design feature you genersally get all that comes with it.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Woa!!!

You asked a simple question. In asking why a person would want a galley down, you are also inviting why or if somewould not want a galley down design.

Something elso you need to consider here...

You don't just get a galley down, you get all that comes with it.

As a for example I've never seen a pilothouse boat with a galley down design. Not to say they do not exist but galley down design is not common on pilothouse boats.

Many of the aft cabin boats seem to have a galley down btw...

So, you need to look at the bigger picture of what design types favor certain placement of the main functional areas of a boat, because in choosing one design feature you genersally get all that comes with it.
I come here to learn.
Your first reply learned me nothing as it begs the question "why not" which your second reply did, somewhat. Thank you.

The OA PH Mk I and II have both options, as I'm sure many others do.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
By Galley Down, do you mean down at the same level as the Salon, or down at the same level as the cabins?

Lots of sport fishers have the galley at the cabin level, which is usually 2-3 steps up to Salon level.

Catamarans sometimes have the galley down in one Ama, leaving the central deck open for partying.

I saw one boat with an aft galley which didn't fit for me. It was on the same level as the salon, just inside the cockpit door.

Galley up can mean having the galley above the salon level, and up at the bridge level, which brings a lot of unwanted traffic into the bridge (depending on passengers).
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I come here to learn.
Your first reply learned me nothing as it begs the question "why not" which you second reply did, somewhat. Thank you.

The OA PH Mk I and II have both options, as I'm sure many others do.
The best thing you can do is to actually go walk on boats.

You will VERY quickly see that certain design types tend to favor certain placement of the main elements of a boats interior being the... salon, galley, pilothouse, engine room.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
By Galley Down, do you mean down at the same level as the Salon, or down at the same level as the cabins?
I'm referring to the galley being lower than the salon as in the example laid out by Marin.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
There have been discussions here before on this, so doing a search may yield you more answers and detail.

Ann is a very good cook, and she absolutely required galley down in making our boat choice. I should note the Hatteras galley has a very nice dinette, fits four but most comfortable for two. Almost all our eating, though was up on the aft deck where we had a big table. She wanted galley down because she did not want the smells permeating the salon, a bunch of dirty dishes, pots and pans laying out in view, and she is a messy cook on top of all that. We had chartered boats over the years with both up and down configurations so she had a firm view on this. I liked having it down as we could cook easier underway without interfering with the helmsperson, especially the view from the helm. Having the galley we did would by necessity severely reduce visibility.

We would only consider galley up in a much much smaller boat, one for weekends and vacations, not full time living aboard and cruising.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #12
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Having the saloon and galley down separates distracting activity from the helmsman and permits rear windows in the pilothouse for better visibility. I like it like that.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
The best thing you can do is to actually go walk on boats.

You will VERY quickly see that certain design types tend to favor certain placement of the main elements of a boats interior being the... salon, galley, pilothouse, engine room.
Everything you say makes good logical sense but it still boils down to personal preferences and compromise.

I wouldn't be critical of either choice and even though we are not talking about tons of room, it seems to me that the space above galley down is wasted while the space below galley up just might serve some purpose.

I'm talking about the typical 36-44 sedan or aft cabin.

Armed with others opinions and experiences can create a different perspective when I do go aboard.

How many times have we all said; "I never thought of that"?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #14
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I chose galley down as a liveaboard because I like the separation of spaces.

On a 36, unless you giveup the forward stateroom or head...tough to do. On the 40 Albin it works well. You aren't really separated from the saloon when down there cooking or making a cocktail as turning around lets you see and participate easily. Yet the activities of the galley are separated enough that they aren't a distraction if someone is down there and you wish to ignore any action down there from the saloon. To me...best of both worlds.

Its been the same on my last 2 liveaboards and works well. You are only 2 steps from the helm and I can be in the pantry for a snack or the fridge for a drink.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I chose galley down as a liveaboard because I like the separation of spaces.

On a 36, unless you giveup the forward stateroom or head...tough to do. On the 40 Albin it works well. You aren't really separated from the saloon when down there cooking or making a cocktail as turning around lets you see and participate easily. Yet the activities of the galley are separated enough that they aren't a distraction if someone is down there and you wish to ignore any action down there from the saloon. To me...best of both worlds.

Its been the same on my last 2 liveaboards and works well. You are only 2 steps from the helm and I can be in the pantry for a snack or the fridge for a drink.
Thanks for that. Good points to think about.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: -
The 36' boat we have in the PNW was not available with a galley down configuration. But contrary to some of the issues with galley up mentioned in this discussion, we don't find that having someone working in the "galley," which is beside and aft of the helm along the port side of the main cabin, hinders visibility at all. Our boat has large windows in the main cabin and this plus the fact that nobody is ever working in the galley space anyway when we're maneuvering in close quarters makes the visibility question a non-issue for us.

And if someone is working in the galley space while we're underway weve found that it doesn't require a huge effort or commitment on their part to take half a step to the left or right so the person driving can see past them for a moment.

Perhaps on other makes and models of boats a person in the up galley is a major obstruction to visibility, I don't know.

So we don't find the galley up cofiguration to be anything of a problem. We just prefer the galley down configuration on boats that are large enough to incorporate it in the design. We would not like a galley down design that isolates the galley from the main cabin, however. That's why we are so impressed with the layout of the galley-down GB46.

In the GB46 there isn't any lost space above the galley down. The aft end of it is under what would be the port side of the helm console or "shelf" and forward part is in what is the normal forward cabin. If you don't have a galley down in that boat the space it would occupy is another stateroom, I believe.

The space under an up galley in a GB is the engine room. So there is no wasted space with either configuration.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
My husband and I like to have the galley separated from the salon so we don't feel like we are sitting in the kitchen when we are relaxing on the settee. In our small boat we have a galley down. In larger boats, depending on the layout, this separation may be accomplished with a galley up. We especially dislike layouts where the galley is basically a counter top opposite the settee. But if the galley is forward with a countertop separating the galley area from the salon (all on one level) that is ok separation for us- and the cook is not down in a hole. If we get a larger boat we will look for this type layout. Like pretty much everything about boating, it is all your personal preference and what compromises you are willing to make.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:49 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Woa!!!
I've been called out for my "reply to those who replied"

I will back pedal here and offer an apology to you. I mistakenly took your reply to be a second one from another poster.

If there was a Smiley handshake, I would offer it.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
it seems to me that the space above galley down is wasted
It's not any more wasted than if there was a cabin there instead, which is what you get if you take the "galley up" flavor.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:57 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Ann is a very good cook, and she absolutely required galley down in making our boat choice.
I completely understand your choice given the boat you have.
Very nice.

In my case, being a lousy cook, I might want to hide what I was doing from the guests until it was served.