Teak Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PCoch

Veteran Member
I have teak framed doors leading to the sundeck that were in disrepair when I bought my Marine Trader. The laminated glass has tinting between the layers that has been ruined by years in the sun. And the varnish has not been maintained either. My question is, is there a proper wood filler to use on teak that will closely match the teak after varnishing?
I tried a few including a red oak paste by Famowood.

I know this does not answer your question, but I have begun replacing what very little teak trim I do have on my mainship 34 with plasteak. I am lazy and do not want to maintain exterior teak. plasteak.com is their website. It does not have the classic look of well maintained teak but it is close enough for me.

I use teak sawdust from the belt sander bag and mix it with clear epoxy and make a paste . Clean the area with acetone first before filling .

I know this does not answer your question, but I have begun replacing what very little teak trim I do have on my mainship 34 with plasteak. I am lazy and do not want to maintain exterior teak. plasteak.com is their website. It does not have the classic look of well maintained teak but it is close enough for me.

I've been looking into plasteak for the deck of the flybridge and the swim platform. I do have unfinished teak decking on the sundeck that is easy to maintain but only because it's out of the weather I'm sure.

Thanks

If you like to go barefoot, you will find the plastic Teak to be unbearably hot, while real teak is bearable in the same sun.

Marty is a carpenter extraordinaire! I typically keep a couple of pounds for such fixes. I've also experimented with bleach to lighten the dust for filling nicks in my much lighter toned salon doors and weather cracks in steps. It works, but you need to use less dust to keep the paste more translucent, thereby taking on the color surrounding it. On the tiny knicks, especially on a high gloss surface, I might use resin only, just as it gels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom