Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Teak decks

Inquiry***On an older boat with teak decks, how would you check on the sub-deck, (the fiberglass or sandwich composite) for water*absorption, without actually taking up some of the teak strips?* Can*a water meter penetrate the teak and still give an accurate reading*on the sub-deck?*** KJ**
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
KJ
El Capitan

RE: Teak decks

1*** can a water meter penetrate the teak*decks
2****can you feel the soft decks through the the teak
3*** no water stains from leaking widows on the walls,**would stains still show up*on*headliner, if water had not gone all the way through the deck core?*
Old 02-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #3

City: Caye Caulker
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: 36' Marine Trader, D C

KJ, After 30 years building ,replaceing,reseaming teak decks,I can look at a deck and have a pretty good idea whats going on with it and what to do or run from it. The whole deal in a teack deck is ,how was it installed origginaly ,how was it maintained during its life,(thats the giant part) Alot of the yachts that I was involed with that I was hired to reseam the decks was they had been let* go for so long that it riatewas not possibal. As you let the bungs deteriate, thae caulk dry out it gets worse and worse. Ive been hired to reseam a yacht and lost 20k because I explained to the owner that it was not nessecery . You can fix spots that are going to leak and if you know what your looking for you can fix themn aswell.Sorry about my spelling.BB
belizebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
KJ
El Capitan

Teak decks

Yeah, I was just curious. Boats with teak decks usually go to the bottom of my "check out " list.* However, occasionally, there is a really nice boat*, with teaks decks that*I wouldn't mind*looking at*if*it was truly "dry". But then I think of the maintenance andsay, nah, not worth it. It's too bad because*I think teak decks that are well cared for look great.*** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 5th of February 2011 08:30:37 PM
Old 02-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #5

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Teak decks are nice in the right place. Krogen puts teak decks under the cover of over hangs on the side and aft deck. none on top or anywhere sun beats down all the time. They feel good under foot and are pretty easy to keep clean in our neck of the woods... Pacific northwest
xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #6

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Thank you, sir. *Boats make good subjects and I get lucky every once and a while.
xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:10 AM   #7
FF
Guru

" On an older boat with teak decks, how would you check on the sub-deck, (the fiberglass or sandwich composite) for water absorption, "

Not many TT have solid glass decks , almost all are Chinese Composite" a layer of house ply with a thin layer of glass to keep the water out.

This is true of most of the cabins too.

The reason is any real GRP item must be created in a mold, as the hull was.

These cost time and money (non Chinese Construction) and it is really difficult to have a good looking flat surface (like a cabin side).

Usually simply jumping up and down will let you know if the deck under the teak paint job is still useful.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Interesting enough- I recently found out our Present 42 has solid FG decks. I rebedded the fuel/ water tank fills and did some inspections beneath after lifting one up and finding no core.
Not long ago on the rear step above the swimdeck I went in to repair a few stripped screws that attached the ladder handle. I removed the 4 mounting screws on each side so I could drill the holes oversize and fill with thickened West. I was shocked there was no coring or backing plate beneath the mounting area and an empty void about an inch deep that was inaccessable.
After several failed attempts to shove something through the holes to contain the West System I came up with an idea that worked like a champ.
I did a test with spray foam insulation that I smeared some West on- thinking it might react and "melt" it. It held fine.
So I filled my 2 holes with foam insulation, let it dry and then drilled the foam out- effectivley creating a "mold" for my thickened West. Worked great.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote