Old 12-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #1

Steel boat questions

We have owned a Kadey Krogen and that is the extent of my liveaboard experience. Now we are thinking about jumping in again and have found the Dutch brand Linssen. The big issue for me is that it is a steel boat and I know nothing about steel boats.
Does anyone have any general knowledge about steel boats or specifically about Linssen?
Any input would be appreciated. It might lead me to some answers.

Thanks

Clarke Gillespie
ClarkeGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeGillespie View Post
We have owned a Kadey Krogen and that is the extent of my liveaboard experience. Now we are thinking about jumping in again and have found the Dutch brand Linssen. The big issue for me is that it is a steel boat and I know nothing about steel boats.
Does anyone have any general knowledge about steel boats or specifically about Linssen?

Thanks

Clarke Gillespie
The Dutch fellars know how to build boats, poor quality goes nowhere in Holland, and Linssen has been around for a very long time, building a lot of boats. I looked at their brochure and they seem to take coatings appropriately seriously, which is critical. They don't say how they insulate the vessel after painting, but again, the Dutch boats I have seen insulate it well so you don't have condensation. So, my guess is that if you find one you like, it will be a great boat.

You will hear a lot about how difficult it is to maintain a steel boat from folks who don't own steel boats. While I have learned how to use an airbrush to repair small dings on mine, I have spent a lot less time maintaining Delfin than I have on much smaller fiberglass boats.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
markpierce has a steel boat and he loves it. If he doesn`t chime in, send him a PM.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #5
Grand Vizier

The other thing I noticed from their brochure was that they made a point of mentioning that they radius or fair welds. This is now the best standard for welding, and is really important for the coating to be effective. If the welds are sloppy or not ground smooth, the sandblasting may not prep crevices in the weld resulting in poor paint adhesion, or none at all. An experienced steel builder like Linssen should be able to be trusted to know this, and it seems like they do.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:31 AM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Steel for commercial fishing

Fiberglass for pleasure

Wood for a hobbyist

Aluminum if you have a good scene of humor
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:06 AM   #7
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Steel is the most durable in tough conditions, but does require more attention than FG.

Some years ago, a larger, steel commercial fishing vessel was leaving Newport, Oregon when it lost rudder control near the end of the jetties. The large swells picked up the boat and slammed it stern first against the jetty. The 6" propeller shaft was bent 90° and the rudder ripped away. The boat pounded against the jetty for about a half hour before the CG could get a line to it and tow them in. The only leak was at the shaft where the bend broke the seal. The bottom was dished in some places, but the hull was still straight. The average FG fishing boat would have sunk and a wood boat made into pieces. I got to see it in the yard doing the repair.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:30 AM   #8
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi,

Here in Europe, Linssen has manufactured steel boats for 70 years and has developed the quality and efficiency of production at its peak. The aftermarket keeps their price better than glass fiber, so I do not believe in problems with the steel structure because they are really covering everything in the construction phase.

Steel on a boat the replacement of Hull zinc at the right time is a critical, otherwise very carefree material. Steel for boats is enough for washing, no need to polisher or wax and re-painting every 10-15 years if you want it to be new, not of course necessary, only if you want ...

What age do you study the Linse boat?

NBs

Video Linssen history and to day...
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #9

Wow thanks for all the responses.
If I bought one of these boats I’d probably buy new. They are so inexpensive when I compare the price to the typical trawler sold in the US. That’s another of my concerns. Why are they so reasonably priced compared to a Kadey Krogen, American Tug, Nordic Tug?

Clarke Gillespie
Old 12-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
If I bought one of these boats I’d probably buy new. They are so inexpensive when I compare the price to the typical trawler sold in the US. That’s another of my concerns. Why are they so reasonably priced compared to a Kadey Krogen, American Tug, Nordic Tug?

Clarke Gillespie
Serial production, automation, smaller engine, tanks etc. I can assure you I have seen Linssen they are of high quality there is no question about it. On the other hand, I am wondering how NT, AT and Krogen can be so expensive, apparently they are manufactured using the methods of the past time, therefore they have not succeeded in the EU market, although they certainly are of high quality but too expensive vs the boat size.

Exaples 40/42 sedan (aftcabin versio +5000€/$) feet linssen price about 344000€/$ + freigth to US 25000€/$ + I do not know US customs and tax% ?

This series linssen is CE-B certificates off shore(no oceans), US says costal cruising...

Passagemakers articel
https://www.linssenyachts.com/images...er-2018-01.pdf

Video AC version https://youtu.be/P5qyq0Z0W1c

And sedan https://youtu.be/h68moGRRlbg?list=PL...pdAoLdqOhBO1hM

NBs
Old 12-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #11
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. NB. Nice boat and apparently a great price BUT Volvo engine(s). Nope. Not for me, not even free.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #12

City: Linkoping
Vessel Name: Alice
Vessel Model: Fidego 43
Quote:

Thanks

Clarke Gillespie
Linssen is well known for their quality. The quality is best in the second hand market as they have fallen for the "modern" interior which is not as nice. Good, sturdy, seagoing vessels. I congratulate you to your choice. If I hade the Money, I would easily get one. I prefer the Vario top 500. Stunning! We have a steel boat, a Dutch build from 78. Easy to maintain. Steel is easy to work with.

Zarih
Zarih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. NB. Nice boat and apparently a great price BUT Volvo engine(s). Nope. Not for me, not even free.
The same I can say Cummins, Cat, here half the world VP is a favorite choice because the spare parts can be easily and services, as you will think your US popular engines, the world is a prisoner of patriotic thinking excluding Spaciously think individuals ... you do not have a paranoid to Volvo

NBs
Old 12-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #14
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. NB. I agree,some patriotism probably involved but manufacturers tend to initially sell and service in their immediate markets and as a result, parts and service are readily available. It seems there have been SO many postings of difficulty and expense in obtaining Volvo parts, here, that this has most definitely influenced MY opinion.

That being said, I've also read that some Perkins parts are unobtainable and must be cu$tom made. So limited parts availability is NOT a Volvo monopoly. I expect, as you mentioned, Cummins and Cat parts will be hard to find in other parts of the world BUT I boat in NA.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #15
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:

Clarke Gillespie
Clarke
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a typical trawler sold in the US. Compare a Euro built Swift Trawler Beneteau to the Linssens, very different boats. The AT and NT have necessarily much bigger engines for planing speeds. Fuel in NA is about $ 1/3 of Europe. Even imported from the North Sea, go figure!

In looking on yachtworld the Linssens shown are not easily comparable to the vessels you mentioned. Nothing like say a KK 42. Nor are the used prices necessarily any different, possibly more with those little Volvo engines as well.

Have you been aboard a newer Helmsman or North Pacific? Ditto AT? Step aboard al of them built in similar years. Big differences.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #16

The Swift trawlers are not really trawlers per se. they are more of a hybrid. I guess KK is the only true trawler. That said I’m just referring to a more displacement boat or a close to displacement with a big enough engine to push water and get a few more knots.
I’ve been aboard all of those. I just want something different. Our KK Whaleback is the largest volume boat you’ll find under 60 feet. It feels larger than the Great Harbors which are certainly not trawlers. We’ve had the enormous trawler. Now I’d just like a change.
The price difference between a new AT, NT, KK and a Linssen is vast. The Linssen is a full 1/3 less. I’m just trying to ascertain if steel is inherently short lived of truly maintenance intensive.
Keep the opinions coming.
Thanks again,
Clarke
Old 12-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #17

City: Linkoping
Vessel Name: Alice
Vessel Model: Fidego 43
As far as I know, you can find Volvoparts all over the World. So I don't see the problem.
Zarih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #18
Grand Vizier

Quote:
The Swift trawlers are not really trawlers per se. they are more of a hybrid. I guess KK is the only true trawler. That said I’m just referring to a more displacement boat or a close to displacement with a big enough engine to push water and get a few more knots.
I’ve been aboard all of those. I just want something different. Our KK Whaleback is the largest volume boat you’ll find under 60 feet. It feels larger than the Great Harbors which are certainly not trawlers. We’ve had the enormous trawler. Now I’d just like a change.
The price difference between a new AT, NT, KK and a Linssen is vast. The Linssen is a full 1/3 less. I’m just trying to ascertain if steel is inherently short lived of truly maintenance intensive.
Thanks again,
Clarke
Steel is inherently long lived and lower maintenance when done appropriately. Plus, in the rare instance where you got something really gnarly, it is generally a "darn" moment in a steel boat rather than a "holy sh*t were gonna sink" moment in a plastic boat.

https://mv-ghostrider.blogspot.com/2016/09/08-aug-ghost-rider-down.html?m=1
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #19
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Thanks again,
Clarke
What Linssen model are comparing to what model of other boat?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #20
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
This links to a post that addresses steel hull maintenance.

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - For Sale: Robt Beebe 49-10 Passagemaker in steel for sale

I would also be curious about insurance. See if your insurance company will recognize the boat for your intended purpose.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linssen, steel boat