Old 11-10-2018, 06:44 AM   #1

City: Barnegat Light
Vessel Name: Northern Star
Vessel Model: Bristol 42 1970
anti fog solutions for windows?

So whenever the temps go below around 50 degrees or so we wake up and spend about about a half hour wiping the condensation off the windows with towels and the hair dryer before we can get underway. Anyone know of an anti-fog product or solution that would help? Running the electric heat will only help after the drying routine is done.
woodscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I just use a couple 12V fans, but once the water has condensed into big droplets, short of wiping it off with towels there isnt much or anything I know of

You have to start early as its forming with heat or breeze....or kerping the humidity down in the cabin...more fresh air, vent cooking, etc....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:10 AM   #3

City: Manasquan NJ
Vessel Name: Mayrose
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 pilot
I bought a 12 volt defroster at Advanced Auto. It works pretty good to clear a single window pane. Enough to get underway.
Beekeepergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
A dehumidifier works great for this purpose. We have a 30 pint unit. It easily picks up a gallon or more of water per day on the PNW cool drizzly days. Great for mold elimination too. We have a Fridgedaire. .
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
What is the source of your high humidity? Do you use a heater that adds H2O to the air while heating? Do you cook with propane in the evenings, when the inside air is warm? If so, you will need to stay with the wiping program.
With a dry cooking fuel, electric or diesel stove, or best, a Dickinson or Fab-All diesel heater, the whole place can be warm and dry. When it cools overnight, that dry air is still dry, so no condensation.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Humans have a bad habit of breathing. That puts a lot of moisture in the air. Add a shower or two, cooking, washing dishes etc... and you can put a lot of moisture in the air.

I have a couple of 12v fans in the PH that helps keep the windows clear. If I have the power, I run one or two EvaDry Peltier dehumidifiers which helps a lot.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #7

City: Manasquan NJ
Vessel Name: Mayrose
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 pilot
By product of combustion is H2O, that is why jets leave a trail.
Beekeepergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Add a woman in the shower, even some guys, and even an industrial dehumidifier isn't going to keep up on a 30 or 40 something boat in those temps.

Unless as captain you turn off the hot water...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
I use anti fog gel on my diving mask although many claim baby shampoo is more effective. Not sure if it would work on window.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Add a woman in the shower, even some guys,
You do that, and I don't think foggy windows will be the issue...
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #11
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
You do that, and I don't think foggy windows will be the issue...
Glad I wasn’t the only one.
Cigatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral, FL
Joy dishwashing soap.

Take a drop or two on a dry, clean cloth and coat the inside of the window with it. Window must be dry and clean, too. Take another dry, clean towel and buff the heck out of it until it's clear. Voila. No more fog.

Used this trick in Alaska for many years.

Cheers,

Dave
dave907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodscrew View Post
So whenever the temps go below around 50 degrees or so we wake up and spend about about a half hour wiping the condensation off the windows with towels and the hair dryer before we can get underway. Anyone know of an anti-fog product or solution that would help? Running the electric heat will only help after the drying routine is done.

2 minutes 7 windows problem fixed

gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:07 PM   #14

Good suggestions all. Two people, one golden retriever aboard a 42' trawler. Currently have electric heat, which is fine when plugged in but I won't run the genset all night so falling temps in the boat may be part of the problem. Really nice cast iron diesel heater on order from Navigator stove works in Washington state. We ventilate when cooking or showering, but haven't been able to stop breathing. The problem is only in the morning when we awake. Colder night time temps being the main culprit. Will try the Joy method first, then the Karcher vac. Also will keep moving south along the ICW until the problem goes away. By the way the boat has always ventilated very well, with zero mold or mildew smell. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #15

Forget to mention the cookstove /oven is an old Princess 110 volt electric unit. No combustion by-products adding to the problem.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #16

City: Olympia WA
Vessel Name: Waterford
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I use the Karcher Window Vac for inside and outside window cleaning. No streaks, no puddles. Great for clearing fogged windows. There are now a few similar products to compare on Amazon.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:49 PM   #17
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodscrew View Post
Joy soap on paper towel, wipe the windows and then clean off with fresh paper towel. Stops it cold. Try it cheap fix.
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: New Haven
Vessel Name: Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II
The window treatments described may work but if you still have condensation on the windows, use a squeegee quickly followed by a dry paper towel.
Tamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #19

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
You know, there is a big difference between glass having a light fog of condensation on it and having larger water drops that slide down the glass. No amount of miracle anti-fog solution will prevent the latter. It's simply a function of atmospheric humidity meeting a cold surface. There are two ways and two ways only to prevent this: lower the humidity inside or warm up the windows. This second method is not easily accomplished, though snapping insulated canvas covers over the windows from the outside can help.

Your new diesel stove is really going to eliminate almost all the concern with this. Cold air is dry air; cold air holds little humidity compared to warm air, which can hold a LOT of water vapor. Many boaters underestimate the large amount of water that they exhale during sleep. Remember the days of fogging up the car windows when out on a date?

When you turn off the heat and turn in for the night under your snuggly down comforter, the inside of the boat cools off and all that exhaled moisture condenses on the windows. Of course, it condenses in all sorts of places you can't see, too. Mold and mildew ensue.

But with the new stove you'll just turn it down to its lowest setting at night. With the inside air kept relatively warm (it doesn't have to be summery inside), it will hold a great deal of moisture. It will also warm up the glass a bit, which will further reduce condensation. HOWEVER...when it's quite cold outside, you'll still have condensation on the inside of the boat.

So the real trick will be to use science to your advantage. As you and the admiral sleep, exhaling pints of water vapor, you'll want to pull cold, dry air into the boat. Warm this dry air up and it will "absorb" all that moisture. Then push the warmed air outside...it will take all that moisture with it.

In my boats I've always had wonderful success with this simple method. Assuming that we sleep forward (your mileage may vary), we draw in cold air astern with a small boxer-style fan. This pressurizes the interior of the boat. The diesel stove on its lowest setting heats the air. The warmed air moves toward the open vents at the bow, taking up buckets-full of moisture before leaving the boat.

It's amazing how dry the inside of the boat can be with very little effort.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #20
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Cat Crap. I'm not even kidding. $10 a year and the windows only need a wet cloth wipe down to clean them. It doesn't take much of the stuff buffed on.

https://www.amazon.com/EK-USA-Crap-A...language=en_US

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote