Tandem anchoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marin,Thanks for the pics all. We're going to the boat to work on the cap rail (spoze to be 70 somethin today). Ill look at the name plate on the dink. It's the same boat on top of the Willy in my avatar. I'll post it and you can zoom in and look. You probably didn't notice but I changed my Avatar pic. The other was almost the same. I'm trying to modify the present Avatar pic * * ..zoom in and move a bit to the left. I'll figure it out and then you'll see my Avitar change a bit again. Since the color of the dinghy and the cabin side buff don't get along well I'll eventually take more pics w/o the dink.
Yea I think the Manson will be fine. Wer'e preping the Willy to go to Ketchikan for a week or so. Daughter inlaw is having a baby soon. I thought we would go cruising after the event but Chris says got to go home so she can be near Sarah. Oh well.
I think the China dink in your pics would take stout lifting gear. I (UGH) bought a rubber duckie from West Marine because of it's 51lb weight. I can easily pull it up on the cabin top. Very important right now.

As to the pic on the right it's basically like that everywhere you look up here. Weather's not that nice most of the time though. Our friends from Bow Wa are renting a place up in Coffman Cove that not only has a view like that but is advertised as "Room with a View".
Are you guys on Face Book? Find my site/page and snoop around at the 200 or so pics I have there in 5 albums. Speak up if you drop in.

Eric

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 423.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 423.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 59
Eric--- Your dinghy looks similar to ours but it appears to be longer. Montgomery called the one we have the "7-11" because that's how long it is, 7' 11". They date from the 1970s and have not been made for many years. They have a very small longitudinal keel and there is a teak daggerboard for when you sail the thing. The teak rudder and tiller drop into pivot points on the transom. Ours has teak strips applied to the two seats, but I see in photos this was not always done. I lifted these photos off a Montgomery owners site to give you an idea of what the 7-11 looks like.* Montgomery made a whole range of sailboats up into the 20-plus foot range and from what I have read, their boats had/have a very good reputation.* I believe their dinghy models*were not numerous and are rather rare these days.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 7th of July 2010 02:57:43 PM

Attachments

• montgomery 7-11 3.jpg
    montgomery 7-11 3.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 135
  • montgomery 7-11 2.jpg
    montgomery 7-11 2.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 113
  • montgomery 7-11.jpg
    montgomery 7-11.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 355
Eric:
Willy is a cool looking boat. Any inside pics?
Mike
Baton Rouge

Gulf Comanche,Only 3. I'll take some more when we go to Ketchikan.Some of the ones i'm putting up here were taken at time of purchase.
Marin,
It is and it isn't. It's a Montgomery but as you suspected it's bigger (10'). Chris and I go cruisin in ours w a 6hp Johonson at about 7-8 knots. It's nice and dry around boat wakes and chop. It's a semi-displacement hull so it planes significantly. Great power dingy but just too heavy to pull up on the cabin top. In Thorne Bay we may have trouble selling it.

Eric

Pic 1. At the helm in the Snohomish River in Wa state.
Pic 2. Chris entering the Point Baker harbor (north end of POW Island).
Pic 3. Me at the helm on the trip up the coast and home.
Pic 4. The helm when we bought her.
pic 5. Just before we bought her.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Wednesday 7th of July 2010 10:01:25 PM

Attachments

• willard 003.jpg
    willard 003.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 78
  • _mg_3288.jpg
    _mg_3288.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 70
  • all to 12-15-09 164.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 164.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 69
  • all to 12-15-09 527.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 527.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 78
  • all to 12-15-09 137.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 137.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 71
Eric---

Here is the website for the Montgomery boats owners group. If nothing else, they are looking for photos of a Montgomery 10 dinghy like yours. Also, if you are trying to sell your dinghy this site may offer a place to advertise it. You never know-- some enthusiast may be willing to buy it and pay to have it shipped to them.

http://www.msog.org/

You can build a Whitehall from scratch pretty easily.* There is a book available from woodenboats.com that I used to build this one.* Rows like a Banshee.

Is that you Delfin? Very Yes. That's what I should have here for a rowboat. I have another 10' boat for rowing and wanted to use it as a dinghy too (thats why it's 10') but that's not going to happen. But of course at 10' boat is too short for a serious rowboat. I should sell both my ten footers and get a good rowboat like yours. But if I spent that much time building I'd like to build a 25' flat bottom dory like skiff but I just don't have the time. If I keep dreamin about it I spoze I could abandon lots of my responsibilities and wants and just DO IT.Sorry * * ..I have no contact information on that beautiful Garden boat I posted a while back.
Thanks Marin, I'll prolly just but it on the bullitin board for $400 and be done w it.

Eric

This one only weighs about 80#, which makes it easy to handle and it rows like a scull.* It has a small keel by design so it tracks like an arrow.* If I was going to use it as a utility tender rather than a toy I'd add 10# to the weight and put a layer of epoxy glass below the waterline.

All this talk about ideal anchorings - lots of anchorages have seen my hook this summer in Alaska. Nothing beats a good bottom and heavy ground tackle. Keep it simple - mass. Forget about the fancy stuff like twin anchors. A good read of Dashew's ground tackle selection mimics*the*group thinking here. LOTS OF WEIGHT with a good hook.

No one sets a trip line that I have seen yet this summer - except for one 64 Nordhavn with a 150# hook in the*easiest bottom* you could ask for in*Bartlett Bay.

Yes Tom and Jan. Anchoring is a weighty subject and Bartlett Bay is a good anchorage.You must have spent some time in Juneau, my birth city and favorite city. I have not been committing any anchoring sins but I have been sinning heavily w linseed oil. On the 14th we will be going to Ketchikan for a week or so * * ..anchored to the Tomas Basin floats. It was 80 some odd degrees here Wednesday * *..raining now * *..57 degrees. Happy trails of sea foam.

Eric

Tom, I agree simple is better.* My own thoughts on anchor design is that the criticality of the particular design of the anchor goes down as the weight goes up, so I pretty much ignore the testing results of 20# hooks since an anchor that performs poorly when it weighs 20# may under most circumstances perform admirably when it weights 150#.* I would rather be anchored to a sunken D8 CAT bulldozer than a 176# Bruce anyday, but stowing the bulldozer on a roller poses a problem.* 99.9% of the time, the best advice is a primary anchor as big as you can handle.* It is during the other .1% of the time that boats are lost - think Moistessier's Joshua on the beach in Cabo for example.* The question is what should old Bernard have done, anchor-wise, to prevent the loss?* I like the simplicity of tandem anchoring in such situations, if the primary is designed for the purpose, which most anchors aren't.

Back
Top Bottom