Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
Guru

City: Trenton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinator View Post
Has anyone had any experience with a good docking simulator.
I used to use the Chapman's video docking simulator in my USCGAUX courses. It has videos of all the common configurations docking too. It makes for a classroom situation much more interesting than just some old guy telling you how to dock by waving his arms around.

alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #22
Guru

Shakespeare is now appearing on TF, in a play on words.
Green with envy at those guys docking. Mind you,the gear changes might be tough on the gearbox. But the speeds, amazing.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Teddy R. had it correct – i.e. “Walk softly but carry a BIG stick!”

For boating that equates to know your power ratio(s), throttle/clutch action(s), steering rudder(s), and the resulting maneuverable capabilities of any boat (single or twin screw) you may need to Captain... and, therefore be able to whisper to your boat while moving it slowly into position at dock.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The trouble with cowboying is the 95% of the time it's impressive as he**...the other 5% of the time when something goes wrong or there is a misjudgement...the damage is enough to make you a permanent fool if you are a professional yacht captain.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #25
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
It makes for a classroom situation much more interesting than just some old guy telling you how to dock by waving his arms around.
That's funny!
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #26
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Gould View Post
Thanks for the good wishes. Odd that you should mention the videos, a local videographer who is doing some work for Washington State Parks and I have been discussing that very topic. Docking videos with several simultaneous camera angles, etc.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I think you're on to something, Chuck. From the interest generated by this topic, methinks a nicely produced video on "The Taming the (Single) Screw" could be quite popular.

Not that we would want to tape the actual seminar, but I'm going to try and make your presentation on Friday. Speaking of that, has anyone ever recorded it for posterity?

- Darren
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #27
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The difference between the pros (and skilled amateurs) and the not so skilled is throttle. Many people think throttle equals speed but no. Short bursts and you have water moving across the rudder a boom you have control.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
The difference between the pros (and skilled amateurs) and the not so skilled is throttle. Many people think throttle equals speed but no. Short bursts and you have water moving across the rudder a boom you have control.
I learned that a long, long time ago driving narrowboats in the UK. But it was not until the last couple of years that it dawned on me to apply what I had learned there, as well as what I have been observing here with the commercial folks, to maneuvering our GB. And while I have a lot yet to learn, using power has completely changed our approach to maneuvering a boat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #29

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: No Plans
Vessel Model: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
And just when I had the close quarter maneuvering of the reverse rotation single screw down, using reverse to move the stern to port so I could turn the boat to starboard and pull into my slip and single hand my old boat, I go and re-power with a standard rotation engine. Thank god there were no human witnesses this past Saturday as I floundered a bit in my first go at it, but hit nothing. 38 degree Saturdays are good that way. Its a damn tight marina too.
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #30
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVNoPlans View Post
And just when I had the close quarter maneuvering of the reverse rotation single screw down, using reverse to move the stern to port so I could turn the boat to starboard and pull into my slip and single hand my old boat, I go and re-power with a standard rotation engine. Thank god there were no human witnesses this past Saturday as I floundered a bit in my first go at it, but hit nothing. 38 degree Saturdays are good that way. Its a damn tight marina too.
Ahoy MVNoPlans - Tollycraft rocks!

I'm pleased to see another Tolly owner posting on TF!

PS: You on Tolly forum? There's a No Plans on there! That you??
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:59 AM   #31
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Good luck with your presentations.

Maybe you should video them and put them on YouTube for others to learn from?
I'd be keen to watch. I'm in Australia so seeing you in person is out of the question :-)

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #32
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
MVNoPlans;. Thank god there were no human witnesses this past Saturday as I floundered a bit in my first go at it, but hit nothing. 38 degree Saturdays are good that way.

Welcome MVNo Plans, Art now has somebody to reminisce with.

Your 38 degrees, keeps them inside keeping warm, our 38 degrees keeps them inside drinking cold beer.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #33
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
MVNo Plans, I take it you are/were in the cellular telephone business? I ran one of the original MVNOs for a few years before we cashed in and went cruising, and now consult to one. An early 60's Tolly 32 foot Sedan FB was the first boat my wife and I owned.
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #34
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Very true, Daddyo. Even on a twin screw turning the wheel can start the turn quickly. Judicious use of the throttles can be critical in fast current or wind situations.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #35
FF
Guru

than just some old guy telling you how to dock by waving his arms around.

Same with RV's , our bus conversion seems to attract all the arm wavers in the park.

Our simple solution was to give the bride a pair of illuminated wands
the same as used at the airport.

Once the local geezers see her doing her wand thing , all vanish!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #36
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. CD. Bagpipes? This does it ALL for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=m8rzkCkFIus

But, I digress...I think the WHOLE thing boils down to, and wait for it...experience.
Of course it does and it's seminars like Mr. CD is presenting that get people started off on the right foot. I have no doubt that this type of information dissemination is of benefit to all; newbies and "seasoned" (even the pros screw up occasionally) boaters.
I personally feel I can handle about 90% of maneuvering situations adequately. I've had no "formal" training. My boat handling is better than it was 5 years ago and I hope it will be even better in another 5 years.
I have used the back and fill method of turning around a single and I also use rudder position and selective power application for the twins. The latter IS necessary to enter and exit my slip as there is only about 4' clearance for me to turn. So far, no insurance claims. Well, one incident that was rectified without getting the insurance people involved.
Let's all get out there and practice people and remember any landing you can walk away from is a good one.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #37
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
War Story

One November after dark we pulled in for a night at the Titusville Municipal Marina. Our boat was single screw, but it was a straight forward docking situation. All of the livaboards were out in chairs having their cocktail hour. When we started backing into the slip, all the old farts got up to direct us. They were all waving around, asking to throw them a line, and telling me different things. My wife knew better than to put a line ashore. They were along the main dock and the finger pier. It was absolutely comical.

They were great folks, and as we settled in invited us to their gathering. It was enjoyable. Then over to the Dixie Cross Roads Restaurant for fried seafood. We had a great time.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #38
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Hmm. When I think of how I plan for using rudder, wind and prop-wash on my single, if I got into one of your twins right now and had to do the same docking maneuvers, I'd probably make a real fool of myself.

Handling of my boat changes with things like "how clean is the prop" or "how much water and fuel", etc.. The prop-wash with empty tanks will spin you like a top, but get that boot stripe two inches lower toward the water, and you've got a prop with less variable density over its rotation, becoming more subtle in its scoot. Maybe it takes twice the goose to provoke the same movement. When my prop needs cleaned, you know it. A rougher surface produces lots more confused water and it becomes less responsive.

There's a guy here in the marina I'm staying in who took his 30 ft. Silverton (twin Cruisaders) out for the first time just the other day. His props were caked with so much growth that the boat couldn't respond in any predictable way. Poor guy had to be walked back in to the slip with all of us climbing on everyone else's boats the whole way in. Now he's lost confidence and doesn't want to "boat" anymore. Despite our encouragement to try after he cleans his props, he thinks it's "him".

Witnessing that, it made me wonder how many get aboard boats that aren't even fit enough to respond as they would normally, and they never get a chance to gain a accurate point of reference on either boat or operator. I'm surprised how many AGLCA members report that their loop boat is there first boat experience. With the plethora of different handling hulls, and everything that alters the fundamental handling characteristics that can be taught, it's little wonder that we have challenges at the dock.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #39

one and the same
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #40

Andy my best mate lives over at Prevelly, just west of Margaret River in WA. I wouldn't mind your 38 right about now.