Old 09-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Pittsburgh Pa.
Talk me out of a GB.

After making the decision 6 months ago to transition from a land lubber to a full time cruiser; my Pro/Con list, requirements and needs and wants point to a post '88 GB Europa 36'. There are many checks on my "Pro" list for this vessel. I need some more checks in the "Con" column.

Iknowimcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
Unless you plan to cross oceans there are no cons I canthink of. Individual boat condition can have many cons.

I personally don't like the limited salon space caused by the design but they sure are pretty.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Ok, I'll play along.

Get a RV instead, easier to dock and ya don't need to pick out the perfect anchor that will be approved by some and faulted by others. Where running aground means changing a tire.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #4

City: Squamish, B.C.
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
We love our old GB but there are a couple of features we're not crazy about. The seating in our boat is not the most comfortable, the upholstery is top quality but the cushion height and seatbake rake is not conducive to getting comfortable. Not in love with the bowling alley layout either and the feeling that you're always sitting in the "kitchen". If and when we buy another boat it'll either be a galley down model or possibly a pilothouse. The next boat will hopefully feature a bit less exterior wood as maintenance is a never-ending chore in the PNW. High on our list for the future are Tolly and OA. That being said, there is much to love about a Grand Banks, you won't be going too far wrong with your decision! - Boyd
Old 09-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Unless you plan to cross oceans there are no cons I canthink of. Individual boat condition can have many cons.

I personally don't like the limited salon space caused by the design but they sure are pretty.
No ocean crossings. I've done a few Trans-Atlantic's on cruise ships. I wouldn't want to experience it in anything less than 300' and a 24 hour buffet.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think they are quite heavy so if you lean toward lightness and fuel efficiency that could be a "con".

I've heard they are a "wet boat" referring to water coming over the bow but this may be a feature of the earlier "classic" line of boats.

If I have it right the Europa boats have wide side decks that consume huge quantities of deck space and a very large/heavy cabin roof. Lots of people love this type but if it were me I'd be strongly inclined to the classic GB. And I think the classic boats look better too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #7

"I've heard they are a "wet boat" referring to water coming over the bow but this may be a feature of the earlier "classic" line of boats."
Confirmed ;-)
Old 09-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
We love our old GB but there are a couple of features we're not crazy about. The seating in our boat is not the most comfortable, the upholstery is top quality but the cushion height and seatbake rake is not conducive to getting comfortable. Not in love with the bowling alley layout either and the feeling that you're always sitting in the "kitchen". If and when we buy another boat it'll either be a galley down model or possibly a pilothouse. The next boat will hopefully feature a bit less exterior wood as maintenance is a never-ending chore in the PNW. High on our list for the future are Tolly and OA. That being said, there is much to love about a Grand Banks, you won't be going too far wrong with your decision! - Boyd
Thanks. The up galley, steps away from the lower helm appeals to me. I'll be alone and the idea of that easy access combined with an auto-pilot means I can make a sandwich and navigate at the same time.
I went to your website. There is a remarkably similar boat to that one on your homepage that is currently for sale. The beige canvas is rare.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #9

Thanks, the site is a couple of years out of date due to a hard drive meltdown, I'm currently rebuilding it and updating. Should have the new one up and running in a month or so. - Boyd
Old 09-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknowimcrazy View Post
After making the decision 6 months ago to transition from a land lubber to a full time cruiser; my Pro/Con list, requirements and needs and wants point to a post '88 GB Europa 36'. There are many checks on my "Pro" list for this vessel. I need some more checks in the "Con" column.
You have to either LOVE to do varnish.. or not be bothered to pay to have it done.. we loved the GB36 we had .. but she sure liked to have her teak rubbed on a regular basis.

GB's are great boats.. all boats are "wet" if you run them in rough enough conditions.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
I'll have to agree about the salon layout. We went onboard a friend's 49 GB yesterday- they are also full time liveaboards.

Pros:
  • Excellent aft cabin space
  • excellent forwad cabin spaces
  • stand up engine room
  • engine accessibility
  • wide walkarounds

Cons:
  • Built in furniture
  • Up galley
  • Settee and galley invade into entertainment space in salon
  • wide walkaround eats into cabin space

The down galley makes the boat feel much more spacious.

Overall, every boat will have its idiosyncrasies- this is just my opinion.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
If you like teak decks, it's not a negative. They're just not my cup of tea due to maintenance requirements and leak probability.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
We are on our 2nd GB. First was a 36 classic, current is a 46 Europa. This gives us a total of 18 years of GB ownership.

Is it a wet boat? The 36 was wet, the 46 is dry. Difference to my mind is that the 46 has spray rails on the bow, the 36 did not. Spray rails are after market and make a great addition. Many 42's did come with spray rails.

Yes, GB's are narrower inside because of the walk around side decks. We do a lot of cruising and live aboard. We love the fact that the decks are safe to move around in a seaway. High bulwarks and sturdy handrails are a huge safety factor. This is something we would never give up.

A classic vs. a Europa is a matter of personal choice. The classic gives you a great aft cabin, and privacy from the guest cabin. The Europa has less separation between the master berth and the guest cabin. The master is forward on the Europa and captures a breeze when the hatch above the berth is opened.

The classic gives you no means of being outside and getting out of the sun unless you are indoors or under a bimini on the fly bridge. The classic had us entertaining on the fly bridge and involved much up and down to the galley. The Europa has great outdoor living space with shade from the sun on the aft deck. Entertaining on the Europa allows you to be outside, in the shade, with easy access to the galley.

Both are great boats, it's a matter of your lifestyle and personal choice. They both tend to hold their value pretty well. Maintaining the bright work is part of owning a GB, not my favorite part, but nothing is perfect.

Good luck, Howard
hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Valencia
Vessel Name: Song of Summer
Vessel Model: GB 42 Classic
I agree with all comments,

Just to add the sensitivity to rolling, very in particular when mooring.
I have Magma stabilizers for that purpose, very efficient.

Also the deck under rain water does not rinse adequately. You need to ballast the transom if you want to correct.

Look to the aging of Fuel and water tanks. Ok with fuel ones after 30 years,
but I am in the process of removing water ones
alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
We are on our 2nd GB. First was a 36 classic, current is a 46 Europa. This gives us a total of 18 years of GB ownership.

Is it a wet boat? The 36 was wet, the 46 is dry. Difference to my mind is that the 46 has spray rails on the bow, the 36 did not. Spray rails are after market and make a great addition. Many 42's did come with spray rails.

Yes, GB's are narrower inside because of the walk around side decks. We do a lot of cruising and live aboard. We love the fact that the decks are safe to move around in a seaway. High bulwarks and sturdy handrails are a huge safety factor. This is something we would never give up.

A classic vs. a Europa is a matter of personal choice. The classic gives you a great aft cabin, and privacy from the guest cabin. The Europa has less separation between the master berth and the guest cabin. The master is forward on the Europa and captures a breeze when the hatch above the berth is opened.

The classic gives you no means of being outside and getting out of the sun unless you are indoors or under a bimini on the fly bridge. The classic had us entertaining on the fly bridge and involved much up and down to the galley. The Europa has great outdoor living space with shade from the sun on the aft deck. Entertaining on the Europa allows you to be outside, in the shade, with easy access to the galley.

Both are great boats, it's a matter of your lifestyle and personal choice. They both tend to hold their value pretty well. Maintaining the bright work is part of owning a GB, not my favorite part, but nothing is perfect.

Good luck, Howard
Thanks. The wide walkways really appeal to me. I'll be alone most of the time, except for an old arthritic dog, and he can no longer throw a life ring.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #16
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Fyi, we have two dogs aboard and they chase each other around the decks like doing laps. Couldn't do that without full walk around decks.
hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #17
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
I'm currently in Annapolis at the Great Banks rendezvous for the Chesapeake. There are about 25 boats here - all models. I think they are well-made, sturdy boats that keep their value. If you find a layout that works for your lifestyle, a GB would be a fine way to go.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
I like the Europa but the Admiral said no way because what we learned from the GB 32:
The ladder climb to the FB and,
The noise from waves keeps her awake with the master in the bow. Can't have a grumpy Admiral.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknowimcrazy View Post
No ocean crossings. I've done a few Trans-Atlantic's on cruise ships. I wouldn't want to experience it in anything less than 300' and a 24 hour buffet.

In the Tsar's dining room on the NCL Jewel's maiden voyage (transatlantic):

Old 09-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #20
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Alberto,
No problem w an aged engine?

mason,
Our Willard has no spray rails second chines or other devices to reduce spray but is a very dry boat. Suspect it has a lot to do w our 6.15 knot speed .. or what ever you call it.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote