Talk me out of it - 57'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you can afford it, and you like it, and it`s a good boat, and you`ll get the use out of it to justify, for you in your circumstances, the expenditure, go for it. Kha Ching!

I'd figure 7' will cost him between $2000 and $3000 per year if paying for all services. Could be as low as $1000-1500. Now, none of us knows the significance of that to him. But when he lists all costs of owning a boat, he'll know where he stands.

I reside in a different world where boat taxes exceed that, and I'm not including maintenance, berthage, and so on. OK. You're probably speaking of marginal costs. :eek:

Beautiful boat, and what a price. It would be double that here in Aus. Only needs a decent helm chair at the lower helm, (no way do you want to be driving from up in the oxygen tent, as FF calls them, in sh*ty weather), :eek: and probably a better anchor, :hide: and you're good to go..! :D

I see no outside wood trim to maintain,and no teak "deck" overlay,so IF you can dock the boat ALONE , go for it.

Lots to maintain inside, might take a week to clean it , but HEPA filters in the air cond and $2.00 an hour Mexican cleaning lady would be a huge assist.

Very nice boat and well outfitted. Only concern if you are going to Mexico is she a blue water boat? Forward freeboard appears low so it maybe worth a true rough water sea trial to see if she will meet your cruising needs.

I reside in a different world where boat taxes exceed that, and I'm not including maintenance, berthage, and so on. OK. You're probably speaking of marginal costs. :eek:

I was speaking of the difference between 57' and 50'. That was the issue, marginal costs.

As to boat taxes, yes, you live in a world with them. We live in a world that doesn't have them. No property taxes on boats. Oh and no state income taxes either.

I'm out, my dockominium slip is 48 x 16.

I think O.C. Diver said it best. The boat chooses you. I had NO intentions on purchasing a trawler. I went through a yacht broker. He said, "I have a nice trawler for you to look at". WHAT?

The boat was a mess, larger than I wanted, 2 full size staterooms, 2 heads, one with a bathtub, ample salon and huge galley and aft hardtop deck with new zodiac. It smelled big time and took 3 weeks to get it clean and stock it. BUT! The engine room was a thing of beauty on survey. Mercedes engine and quiet beyond belief. I got past the asthetics, dumped 20k into it to make her mine. I'm in love!

Go for it! Life is short. I'm still finding really nice surprises and I spend all the time I can on her.

I think O.C. Diver said it best. The boat chooses you. I had NO intentions on purchasing a trawler. I went through a yacht broker. He said, "I have a nice trawler for you to look at". WHAT?

The boat was a mess, larger than I wanted, 2 full size staterooms, 2 heads, one with a bathtub, ample salon and huge galley and aft hardtop deck with new zodiac. It smelled big time and took 3 weeks to get it clean and stock it. BUT! The engine room was a thing of beauty on survey. Mercedes engine and quiet beyond belief. I got past the asthetics, dumped 20k into it to make her mine. I'm in love!

Go for it! Life is short. I'm still finding really nice surprises and I spend all the time I can on her.

I think your yacht broker probably wisely sensed where you were in your life too, what you were looking for different than in the past. Somewhere along the way must have picked up on your abilities to do so much yourself too that have allowed you to turn it into the boat of your love.

Many moons ago the criteria of going larger was to go ten feet minimum from what you may presently own. If not you will regret not going bigger, if additional creature comforts is the criteria.

When you get to the desired size of what you are talking about, the notion of penny pinching or even counting your pennies before you buy a 58 footer should tell you not to do it. I mean what's a couple of thousand here or there in the total yearly costs of operation. And if you are concerned that you may be overspending your budget per year, causing you to keep the boat tied to the dock, well again don't buy the larger one. my.02

So far, I have seen one boat in nice shape that has ALL of these items already installed and functioning. The problem is that the boat is 57' long. I am thinking that the extra length will bite me in the end with higher associated costs for moorage, haul outs, etc..

Yes Bill. The added costs of the bigger boat WILL bite you in the end.

However, every boat is a hole in the water to throw money in, right? You just want to find the hole in the water that makes you happy. If this boat checks off all the things you are looking for, I wouldn't let an extra 7' scare me away. The same holds true if you found the perfect 45' boat. You wouldn't reject it simply because it didn't have 5 extra feet if it had everything you are looking for.

57' sounds kind of fun to be honest, as long as I could pay someone else to do the maintenance.

57 is Perfect,
As Flywright said I came down to Mexico two years ago on a 58 and love it. The Boat is a beauty, and depending on how you plan to use it a few suggestions. We love to anchor out and the Sea of Cortez and La Paz are great for that..and you can save a few $$. Didn't see A/C on the boat , something I'd recommend and perhaps replace the electic stove with a gas model , saves running the gender. I also added solar panels as many as you can fix and all new batteries. I have 4 335 watt panels can make 6-8 kilo watts a day, again saves on the genset.

Buy the boat and come on down the water is fine and the people are fantastic, give me a yell when you get close or have questions. The cats should be a good choice for that boat. I have DD6v92 and sometimes wish I had smaller blocks but loving everyday down here. BTW we are full time cruising and live aboard.

If the boat presents as well in person as it does in the pics, and if it's been well maintained with all the equipment/systems being in good operating condition, then it looks like a lot of boat for the $$$.

Plus you have the added bonus of actually having something very rare, a boat that can actually outrun bad weather with that top speed of 2600kts!!:dance: (although it might empty that 990 gallon fuel tank pretty quickly at that speed! :eek:)

If the boat presents as well in person as it does in the pics, and if it's been well maintained with all the equipment/systems being in good operating condition, then it looks like a lot of boat for the $$$.

Plus you have the added bonus of actually having something very rare, a boat that can actually outrun bad weather with that top speed of 2600kts!!:dance: (although it might empty that 990 gallon fuel tank pretty quickly at that speed! :eek:)

With this top speed you may get the first interstellar trawler ever made so go for it!

My advice: take a piece of paper (yeah I'm old school) and wright the positives on one column and the negatives in the next column according to you. Think about those and refine them over a few days. Sleep on it and let your pillow speak to you. Do what you decide not what others want.

But overgrow their original size when it comes time to wax, paint the bottom, varnish the cap rail, ect. :)

But overgrow their original size when it comes time to wax, paint the bottom, varnish the cap rail, ect. :)

Factors important in different ways to different boaters. If you do it all yourself, then it's the time and effort you'll expend. If you pay to have it done, it's the added cost which I attempted to do a very broad stroke rough estimate of early in the thread. Only you can decide in either case, how important. It's really how important is the incremental time and effort or how important is the incremental cost.

Internet shopping is often a mistake and misleading. Until you have spent a lot of time personally inspecting this vessel, be careful.

Internet shopping is often a mistake and misleading. Until you have spent a lot of time personally inspecting this vessel, be careful.

To my knowledge, he still hasn't viewed the boat, has he? I don't understand that really, why we're talking about it at length from internet information and he's not gone to see it in person. If that's not possible, send someone else to represent him, or at least get current photos, taken as OP directs. Photographs shown on listings are often old.

Back
Top Bottom