Old 05-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #1

City: Columbia
Talk about "seems too good to be true"....

1974 Edwin Monk PILOTHOUSE TRAWLER, 49'-

If it were even half what it says I would be tempted to purchase it as a disposable boat just for the learning experience. You cant buy a cheap car for that price hardly. Would probably be a lesson in boat maintenance and repair for sure.

MississippiSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:36 AM   #2
FF
Guru

"A WOODEN BOAT ! NO problem!"

I have a bridge in Brooklyn thats a great deal!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #3
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
$1,900 for a haulout, forfeited if you don't buy??? Cash only; no checks?

What could possibly go wrong with a deal like this???
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #4

City: Jarrettsville, MD.
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30' Rumrunner
It would make a good project for someone. It has nice lines. I could not get past the wood. Too many days as a kid sanding my fathers 1964 26' christ craft? I hated sanded and painting for several weekends berfore we could use the boat?
jskinner30PII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiSlim View Post
1974 Edwin Monk PILOTHOUSE TRAWLER, 49'-

If it were even half what it says I would be tempted to purchase it as a disposable boat just for the learning experience. You cant buy a cheap car for that price hardly. Would probably be a lesson in boat maintenance and repair for sure.

If you're looking for an inexpensive trawler as a learning experience, I have a 1974 Marine Trader 34' that I would be willing to part with for that sort of money. She floats and runs but does exhibit all the bad characteristics of a 41 year old Taiwan Tub - leaky decks and house. All the water in the bilge comes in from above the waterline!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: PassChristian MS
I have owned a couple wood boats going back to when this one would have been new. It might be reasonable to say that a wood boat has half the useful life of a fiberglass boat. Using that as a guide we can say a wood boat ages 2 years for every one year a glass boat does. So a 1974 wood boat could be said to be 82 years old in "wood boat years". I know I am going to upset some wood boat owners but that is just my opinion based on experience. I love wood boats but would never want to own another. If I were 21 years old again, perhaps!
jwilsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #7

City: Columbia
i would say that whoever buys it will have to go into with eyes wide open knowing what lies ahead of them.
MississippiSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
But, but...the equipment ALONE is worth the asking price...
Sure. Only worth as much as you can sell it for and someone willing to buy it. Not saying the boat is NOT worth the asking price but the description is a little over the top. Written by a salesman or politician? Wait..what? They're both the same.
Don't tell me what a good deal I'm getting. State the facts and I'll decide whether or not it's a good deal. I can see some starry eyed dreamer thinking he's buying into the best investment of his life...Realistically, depending on the REAL condition, it may be a good boat for someone.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I did not see the re fastening history. But for $19k purchase and a below waterline 2 layer 1/4 in plywood and roof cement layer treatment would give the old girl up to another 20 years as outlined in George Buheller "The Troller Yacht". This process is cheap.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #10

City: Pittsburg, CA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
Very interesting and attractive.

Parts probably add up to $35K alone.
Tend to agree with Mule, get a bottom seal with epoxy or roof cement?, and you are good to go.

A real deal if you have more time than money....
Old 05-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
If it wasn't for my wife I would probably own a wooden boat .Thank God she is around to hold me back. I love wood ,I'm a woodworker ,I work for hardwood lumber company and I seem to like working on boats . Yeah I got it bad . Just the rebuilding alone that we have been doing on our trawler has been a bunch of work and it's fiberglass. We are getting close with all the major stuff that we can do ourselves. It's been fun but it's not been easy and it get's into the time we have to enjoy the boat . If one of you gets burned out during the process of rework it can make it a real challenge .The deeper you dig the more you find. Lots to think about before diving into a project ,but I like Mule like the George Buehler approach to boat building Get it done ,use local materials if you can and use the boat.Have fun with your search .
Old 05-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
<snip>She was designed by Edwin Monk, the famous boat architect and designer, having been outfitted with premium engines, transmissions, etc., for use by Edwin Monk!</snip>

Seems like I read this statement a lot with regards to these old Monk boats. He did live on Nan, a boat he built for himself in the 1930's.

This one somewhat resembles Lee Ann.
Lee Ann

More of his designs here:
Ed Monk Boat CLub Index

Ed Monk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is Caio worth buying? Only a comprehensive survey could answer that! I would suspect dropping at least another 40 boat bucks into her to get her cruise ready. But that's a lot of boat for 60k.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
What's w all this "wooden" boat talk. Just say "wood" boat. What's the "en" for. When metal toys came along they refered to wood toys as "wooden" toys. As in not very substantial. Substandard. Not long lasting. Cheap. Ect.

But the wood boat is better than a FG boat. Stronger, quieter ect. It's the owners that are substandard. Why is everybody so afraid of sanding and painting? Yea I know. You'd rather be ding other things .. like playing. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" ... in my opinion all play and no work makes Jack a worthless sot w little pride and satisfaction.

If I was younger I'd take advantage of the deals created by the "wood boats are too much work" attitude. They are faster, look better, ride better and require a good man to maintain them. I know one good man here .. Matt w his Axe. He has what it takes to keep a wood boat. Lots of others do too but don't know it .... and won't either till they do it. And then there's those that build a wood boat and maintain it. Most people just buy plastic boats and keep them like kids now keep their plastic toys ... all over the yard and kick them out of the way if a bit of need arises.

Having said all that it's only half true. Plastic is easy. But the rewards are not as great.

Yea yea I know .. I do have a plastic boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #14

City: Pittsburg, CA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
(thread creep warning!)

While we are on this topic....

I have been meaning to bring this up. Much like the maligning of Bayliners, I see a fair number of nicer wood boats being epoxy/glassed on their bottoms in the belief that it will greatly reduce maintenance and extend their working life.

I see a lot of criticism of this, but like Bayliners, no one comes through with hard facts (that I have see) to show that this procedure is a total waste of time and money.

Although, I can admit that fiberglass on wood might not be ideal, to get another 20 years out of an otherwise problematic wood hull for a reasonable cost does not seem to be that far out of line.

As pointed out earlier, there are a lot of great wood boats to be had out there on the cheap because of the fear and hesitation of all the ongoing maintenance.

Does anyone have hard facts that prove that a f/g of the wood hull will not be cost effective over 20 years?
Old 05-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #15

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
I'm in Biloxi. Never seen this boat. Wonder where it's hiding as those pictures are of no marina around here.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
"The monthly cost to maintain this boat over a 4 year period, above and below the waterline, is about $75 per month, excluding machinery. T"

Sounds like it's been very well maintained.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
I'm in Biloxi. Never seen this boat. Wonder where it's hiding as those pictures are of no marina around here.
From the ad:

"The main picture in this ad was taken at Joe Wheeler State Park in December 2012"

I wooden own a wood boat!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #18
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

From the ad:

"The main picture in this ad was taken at Joe Wheeler State Park in December 2012"

I wooden own a wood boat!!
That's why it's a AS IS, WHERE IS Deal. In cash, NOT even at the boat, but at the bank, so the buyer can't resort to violence, when he hears The REST OF THE STORY.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #19
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
I found a more recent picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131217_125543.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	40006Here is a more recent picture.

And if you wire me $15,000. Not only do you save $4,000, but you avoid all those legal complications of having to move the boat.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:47 PM   #20
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Attachment 40006Here is a more recent picture.

And if you wire me $15,000. Not only do you save $4,000, but you avoid all those legal complications of having to move the boat.

Now that's a win-win situation!

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote