Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #41
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
The trawler part confuses me - what classes a boat as a trawler if these boats aren't?
Just think of "Trawler" as a marketing term and then ignore it. When I was looking for boats, I used a variety of terms in my Yachtworld searches. These included "Trawler, Tug, Motor Yacht, Cruiser and Pilothouse". You never know if the broker will arbitrarily label a boat the same way we would arbitrarily label a boat.

Walk around berths are not as common in the age of boat that your budget dictates.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #42
Guru

City: Sidney
Werner; you are retired and using the internet as your learning tool. Both good things.

Take a chunk of you old work day and spend it on line learning about boats. Start with displacement, semi-displacement and planing hulls. Read up on "hull speed." Research live aboard boating. Go through the topics here in all the different folders. Take your time.

Take another chunk of your old work day to go hang around boaters. Lots of commercial guys where you live. Get friendly with them. Walk docks, look at all the boats, commercial, recreational, pretty ones and junkers. Visit yards. Look at boat shapes out of the water. Talk to as many owners as you can. Ask questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner;
Any ideas on whether best to go through a broker or a private sale?
In my opinion, you are a way ahead of yourself on that one and certainly you don't want to be dealing with private owners on another coast. Many of them would love you.

Get friendly with some local brokers. You don't have to commit to anything. Just tell them what you are thinking, let them be another information tool and listen to them. That doesn't mean believe everything they say...just listen and absorb.

Read up on kayaking on the BC coast.

Oh, yeah, one other thing and I'm just stating not slagging. Being a child in Qualicum and having relatives on Vancouver Island does not make you even remotely familiar with the west coast and those remote areas you dream of.

Take your time.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #43
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Keith, you need an appointment with a Gastroenterologist.
You think it's not well priced? If it were in Seattle at $73K (US) it would be sold within a week. If someone is looking for a modern looking (1980s with little to no exterior wood) Ocean Alexander between 36 and 45, feet this is by far the least expensive. And the next two (42s) are also Canadian. The least expensive here in the US part of the PNW is another 42 for $179K (US) in Port Hadlock (somewhat geographically remote). Lots of engine room pics look well above average for a 30 year old boat, relatively unmolested overall (even the wiring looks mostly acceptable). What don't you like about this boat? The bedcover in the forward stateroom?

I am a bit curious about the 2 new props. And that recently painted Aqualift.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Don't rush the process. Don't try to jump into focusing on a specific builder. You need to look at a lot of boats before it will be ready to choose the one. With each boat, think of what you like and don't like about it. I'd recommend starting a list or even spreadsheet of the boats you're observing. Then at some point you'll be able to say, these are the features I want on my boat. These are the preferred and these are the absolute that if it doesn't have it's a deal breaker. Only at that point will specific builders become relevant and start getting most of your attention.

Going through this process is what will take you from scatter shooting at boats that are totally different and if you like one you probably wouldn't like the other. This is also a couples activity. You'll have different preferences. I don't know if you've ever bought a house together but this is the same plus adding in many complications because it's also a boat.

At least right now I'd have two columns forming in my head and probably on paper too and that's "likes" and "dislikes." Not brands, but features. Not the features in absolute form, but features as to how they meet your requirements.

Also, question those requirements along the way. One that can be argued infinitum is single or twins. Decide if that's important to you and, if so, why. Be honest with yourself and deal in real facts. For instance, we choose twins, but many of the arguments for and against them are lacking. Are they more safe for long journey's? Maybe slightly, but singles go around the world all the time. Ultimately, it's that we personally like twins for handling and security and for the speeds we want. So that's all that matters, but we can't offer some great defense of twins and certainly don't suggest they are a requirement for everyone. They aren't. They're simply our preference and we have no obligation to defend it.

Things like galley up or down. Three choices-up, down, and I don't care. Don't go with your initial impulse. Get on boats. Think of how you'll use the boat. Look at the tradeoffs. This argument reminds me of the huge on in homes right now between enclosed and open kitchen. Many people feel very strongly in each direction.

Be careful of those you allow to influence you in this search. They may be applying their own prejudices and not thinking of your requirements. If they use language like you don't want brand x, they're all junk, then they're probably lacking in objectivity. I do not know a single brand about which I would make such a statement. Not even those I like least. Every boat out there has pluses and minuses. If people give you answers in absolutes, be careful. There are no absolute's in boat selection.

We're on the loop right now and the boat we're on would be wrong for 98% of all loopers. Too big, too fast, not economical, wrong styling, a hundred reasons, but perfect for us. Still, we would never try to influence you in the direction of what is right for us. And, today, we'd never attempt to tell you what boat to buy as we do not know enough about your likes, dislikes, and requirements. We don't know because you don't know yet. That brings us back to the process. You're early in it. Don't take shortcuts. Go slowly and learn. Take all the time it requires.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
You think it's not well priced? If it were in Seattle at $73K (US) it would be sold within a week.
Over the past many months people from all over the US have been coming to BC to snap up boat bargains. Gee, I can't understand why they all walked right on by this one. For those same many months.

BTW, that boat is less than an hour away from me.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #46

City: Pacific Northwest (BC)
Vessel Name: Heaven Sent
Vessel Model: MMC Defever 41
Quote:
Over the past many months people from all over the US have been coming to BC to snap up boat bargains. Gee, I can't understand why they all walked right on by this one. For those same many months.
Doesn't give a lowly Canadian (dollar wise) looking for a boat on the west coast a warm and fuzzy feel.
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #47
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Doesn't give a lowly Canadian (dollar wise) looking for a boat on the west coast a warm and fuzzy feel.
I think Hawgwash is saying believe half of what you see and none of what you read on an Internet listing. Only thing for sure is there might be a boat for sale. Pictures lie

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
These ping pong boat sales have cycled through here many times before and probably will again.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #49
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986...a#.VzIQlrxe6rU

Is this the CML you are interested in? I'd take that any day over an 80 Taiwanese Trawler. C&C built good boats.

PS: Kind of wish I was in the market. I like this boat. If the engines checked out OK, a few upgrades and this could make a nice cruiser. I say that with the knowledge that TAMD40B have exchanger issues, but I understand they can be made reliable.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #50

Northern Spy, yes that's the boat. I liked it but my wife doesn't. My main issue is no generator. Wife does not like the comfort level for a liveaboard, which is understandable looking at the seating in the cabin. If we buy in October we might do our first and only winter on the boat we decide on due to being between homes. Living on board we need to both agree on the best solution. What would you do to that boat to increase liveability on such a boat. Any idea on installed cost of a say 4kw genset?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Is this the CML you are interested in? I'd take that any day over an 80 Taiwanese Trawler. C&C built good boats.
I would probably take it over a Taiwanese trawler (which typically have problems with wood decks, various leaks into the superstructure, and failing tanks), but I'd hugely prefer that Ocean 390.

Yes, C&C built some some yar boats back in the day. And if you bring up C&C in the PNW, most folks will recall Bill Neimi's C&C 61 "Joli". I remember seeing it impounded at a dock in Seattle - it made quite an impression.

But they tried to parlay their success is racing-cruisers into a much bigger venture (even opening a yard in Europe) and quickly imploded.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Northern Spy, yes that's the boat. I liked it but my wife doesn't. My main issue is no generator. Wife does not like the comfort level for a liveaboard, which is understandable looking at the seating in the cabin. If we buy in October we might do our first and only winter on the boat we decide on due to being between homes. Living on board we need to both agree on the best solution. What would you do to that boat to increase liveability on such a boat. Any idea on installed cost of a say 4kw genset?
I think that CML has been over-improved already. A thruster in addition to twins? A FLIR camera? It's had some semi-recent love which makes the condition of the limited exterior woodwork puzzling.

My gut feel (and I DO have a gastroenterologist!) is that shoehorning in a generator is going to be an engineering challenge with those two large Volvos in what is not a very large engine room. There's already a 2.5kw inverter, the stove is propane, no idea what "heating" means - but I'd look at adding batteries before installing a generator. Keep in mind that the boat has been owned and operated in the PNW for 30 years (and 343 engine hours? That's odd) without a generator, so perhaps you might be better off re-examining your assumptions.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #53
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:

But they tried to parlay their success is racing-cruisers into a much bigger venture (even opening a yard in Europe) and quickly imploded.
Good point that a lot of builders haven't stayed the same their entire lives. There are some that have used a lot of different plants. Others that have changed their methods. Some improved, others lost their quality.

To me, every used boat must be judged individually. It's not just the builder that's important but the care and maintenance. dhays purchased a great boat but fully aware of it's unfortunate history. However, it's been properly repaired. I've seen others unaware that the boat they are considering once sunk. The biggest differences in equipment isn't the brand, it's the care and the condition. Then there are engine manufacturers that are considered great but had one series of problematic engines.

You mention parlaying success into implosion. Reminds me that Gunboat's auction has tentatively chosen a buyer for their operation.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I think Hawgwash is saying believe half of what you see and none of what you read on an Internet listing. Only thing for sure is there might be a boat for sale. Pictures lie
Yup.
It would be nice if boat listings had a section like (at least local) property listings. Original listing date and price with subsequent changes. The first time I didn't look at that OA was June last year.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
These ping pong boat sales have cycled through here many times before and probably will again.
I'm not following your logic here. You seem to be saying that this particular boat has resold several times recently (i.e. popular with buyers)...and that it's sat for months unsold (the opposite).

Again, what - specifically - concerns you about this particular boat at that price?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
I'm not following your logic here. You seem to be saying that this particular boat has resold several times recently (i.e. popular with buyers)...and that it's sat for months unsold (the opposite).

Again, what - specifically - concerns you about this particular boat at that price?
Keith; for at least the last 35-40 years boats have crisscrossed the US and Canada based on "the dollar." At one time, parades of vehicles and boats came into Canada from the US. Then the other way to the extent local brokers lost a ton of repeat sales and spinoff businesses suffered. In the 90s boats were being shipped from BC to ON and the Maritimes. After '08, another round of US boats headed north. Now they are going the other way.

My comment went to the current lack of inventory. Good inventory.

Nothing to do with the current OA, if we are in fact talking about the same one. If your hormones are afire over it, come get it, take it home and flip it. Make a lot of people happy.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #57

The C&C actually has over 2000 hrs on the engines, not sure why they read 343. If we were to look at it I guess that would be a big question. If you don't have a generator you need to run the main engines to charge the batteries unless you go to a marina? I wonder how many days you can run on the batteries if yo on the hook in a remote area before you need to get those motors going. Is it possible to charge them using a portable generator like a Honda. I guess the difficulty is the connection.

I also prefer the Ocean 390. Not coming out until October so will see whats out there then... For those on the Pacific NW, is October OK to come out to check boats?
Old 05-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #58

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
Werner, look at listings for late '80's 42 Jefferson Sundeck. It is a Taiwanese boat, but I enjoy mine and it meets many of your criteria (center line aft cabin, twin diesel, plenty of room for two to live, in the price range). Not sure that the fuel capacity would work, however.

Something like this (not affiliated, just as an example):

1988 Jefferson 42 Aft Cabin Motoryacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

In your situation, I think the best thing you can do now is go look at boats nearby. The more boats you step foot on, the better you will be able to narrow down your search. And don't limit boats by exterior appearances. There are boats that I thought looked great from the outside that were not laid out well on the inside and visa versa. Also, as many have said about older boats, name and age begin to mean less than how it has been maintained. Good luck!
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
The C&C actually has over 2000 hrs on the engines,
Where did you learn that? The listing says 343/340 and "LOW hours on her Volvo engines"
Quote:
I wonder how many days you can run on the batteries if yo on the hook in a remote area
Depends. Consumption, battery age and size etc.
Quote:
For those on the Pacific NW, is October OK to come out to check boats?
Any time is a good time. October is probably better than July. You can see leaks; how damp and stinky they are.

Are your relatives in BC boat wise? If so, use them.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #60
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
The C&C actually has over 2000 hrs on the engines, not sure why they read 343. If we were to look at it I guess that would be a big question. If you don't have a generator you need to run the main engines to charge the batteries unless you go to a marina? I wonder how many days you can run on the batteries if yo on the hook in a remote area before you need to get those motors going. Is it possible to charge them using a portable generator like a Honda. I guess the difficulty is the connection.

I also prefer the Ocean 390. Not coming out until October so will see whats out there then... For those on the Pacific NW, is October OK to come out to check boats?
Any time of year is fine to check boats, if you don't mind some cold and rain.

I came from sailboats and never had a generator. We did OK at anchor for a few days without motoring. However, we were frugal with our power usage. My guess is that you may want to use more power than we did. You can install a Genset, or use a portable like a Honda. The other option, depending on the boat and your usage, is to install a couple solar panels. They can extend your time between charging signficantly, particularly here in the PNW in June-Aug.

I would strongly suggest that you come out and charter a boat for a long weekend or week. You will learn a lot about what features you really like and what you don't. I think Chartering in the Fall would be good as you get a chance to experience the realities of year round boating and likely can get attractive off-season charter rates.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote