taking courses: USPS or CG Aux courses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Per

Guru
I am planning to take some "standard/initial boating" courses this spring and have been looking at both the USPS and the CG Aux courses.

Hoping someone on the board might be able to help me choose the one or the other..

My GF and I took the USPS's America's Boating Course course last month.* The course lasted all day Saturday and Sunday.* I chose their course because of it's relative*availability compared to the auxiliary's course.

As an introductory course, the coverage is broad but shallow, but that's good for an introductory course.* There is a lot to cover and constant student attention is required*to absorb the material.* A nice soft-back book covering the material is provided.*

There is a test at the end and a minimum score (was it 80%?)*needs to be achieved to pass the course.* (I*scored 100%.)

markpierce wrote:

My GF and I took the USPS's America's Boating Course course last month.* The course lasted all day Saturday and Sunday.* I chose their course because of it's relative*availability compared to the auxiliary's course.

As an introductory course, the coverage is broad but shallow, but that's good for an introductory course.* There is a lot to cover and constant student attention is required*to absorb the material.* A nice soft-back book covering the material is provided.*

There is a test at the end and a minimum score (was it 80%?)*needs to be achieved to pass the course.* (I*scored 100%.)
Both the USPS and the CGA courses are good.* I recommend joining the USPS and taking advanced grade courses at least through advanced piloting.* The 6 week course for the public was great.* It was shortened to get more of the public at least a little educated.* The 2 day course is not enough.* With boats like you guys have, you need far more advanced courses.

Moonstruck wrote:

*With boats like you guys have, you need far more advanced courses.

I agree.* Still, one should*start at the beginning.

(That two-day course consisted of*about 12 hours of actual instruction.* The instructor/student ratio was 1-to-1, with two instructors and two students.)

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 14th of March 2011 02:00:43 PM

Per wrote:

I am planning to take some "standard/initial boating" courses this spring and have been looking at both the USPS and the CG Aux courses.

Hoping someone on the board might be able to help me choose the one or the other..
Take both and any other you can find.

I don't think you can have to much knowledge.

Be safe.

SD

skipperdude wrote:

Per wrote:

Take both and any other you can find.

I don't think you can have to much knowledge.

Be safe.

SD

well, as you know time does cost money..

leaning a little towards the USGC program called Boating Skills & Seamanship, it seems to do more than just scratch the surface.

For basic knowledge, either is great. For ongoing, advanced courses, trust your instincts about the folks administering and teaching the basic class. With both USPS and CGAix, the different local groups have different vibes. You're more likely to continue taking classes with a group of folks you enjoy handing out with. I've had great social and educational experiences with both groups.

Jeff Wolf

If you don't have one.**Get a Chapmans. It's a tomb

If you read it cover to cover you could pass the captains exam.

I keep mine at my chair (The old leather lazy boy) and open it to any page and start reading.

I learn something every time I pick it up.

I'm not sure about your comments on time and money. I don't mean to be pejorative but.*You are dealing with an endeavor that could cost the unprepared there life.

The sea is unforgiving especially to mistakes by the ignorant.

Learn all you can. Spend the time and money.

*It's*both well spent.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 14th of March 2011 09:18:40 PM

I agree. Get Chapman's. I'm like the dude. I refer to it regularly.
And the US Power Squadron courses are wonderful. We usually meet lots of nice people and generally have fun but it's serious study too. When I met Chris we decided to get in the boat and go to Juneau. Everybody said well that's it for the relationship but we did fine and are still together. Did'nt speak to her for one whole day on the trip though. That was the first time we went to Alaska together. I like dude's method w Chapman. Open the book at random. I tend to read favorite parts and those parts probably are the parts I know best and the best learning is probably in the parts we know least. Good one dude.

I see you Wolfie. Welcome. I often think we should have pics of ourselves rather than the boats. I'll change my avitar to that end and invite others to do the same. Actually I'd like to see 2 avitars. One on the left of ourselves and one on the right of our boats but I'm sure that's probably not mechanically possible.

nomadwilly wrote:

I see you Wolfie. Welcome. I often think we should have pics of ourselves rather than the boats. I'll change my avitar to that end and invite others to do the same. Actually I'd like to see 2 avitars. One on the left of ourselves and one on the right of our boats but I'm sure that's probably not mechanically possible.
Eric, if I wasn't so ugly, I wouldn't need the boat!
sniff.gif

nomadwilly wrote:

Did'nt speak to her for one whole day on the trip though.
Ypo might ask her.* It may have been the best day she has ever had on the boat.
biggrin.gif

Well JD it seems you think I talk too much.
If this is a joke please show me the humor.

I know of no issues that we had but at this point this is an issue that we have.
I am not amused.

Respond on PM.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 12:02:07 PM

skipperdude wrote:

If you don't have one.**Get a Chapmans. It's a tomb

If you read it cover to cover you could pass the captains exam.

I keep mine at my chair (The old leather lazy boy) and open it to any page and start reading.

I learn something every time I pick it up.

I'm not sure about your comments on time and money. I don't mean to be pejorative but.*You are dealing with an endeavor that could cost the unprepared there life.

The sea is unforgiving especially to mistakes by the ignorant.

Learn all you can. Spend the time and money.

It's*both well spent.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 14th of March 2011 09:18:40 PM
i have Chapmans and read parts of it regularly along with another half dozen boating books but i do want to take some face to face instruction/seminars.

the time/money remark was simply to inform that i do not have the time to take two* somewhat identical courses just for the sake of it.
lets face it, if you are not retired than time is probably difficult to find..
that being said i would never compromise safety.

We've taken a few courses with the Power Squadron (Basic Boating and a GPS course); however here is my question. By joining the Squadron are more advanced classes made available to you because you are a member? Also, do they do hands on, in the boat and out to sea type classes???

Buy a copy of the Nav Rules

Rocky wrote:

We've taken a few courses with the Power Squadron (Basic Boating and a GPS course); however here is my question. By joining the Squadron are more advanced classes made available to you because you are a member? Also, do they do hands on, in the boat and out to sea type classes???
Rocky, the answer is yes.* The advanced grades will be open to you as well as many periphial courses such as engine maintenance, weather, and many others.* The advanced grades are seamanship, piloting, advanced piloting, Jr. Navigator and Navigator.* The last two are celestial navigation courses.* With all these, you should be prepared to go anywhere in the world.* I recommend to go through at least Advanced Piloting for piloting coastal waters.* This is not a fluff course and will take much study.* You can also demonstrate your boat handling skills and get certification in coastal waters etc.* You can take your choice and go as far as you want with it.

Thanks for the response Don, I PM'd you with additional question....LOL

Per wrote:

i have Chapmans and read parts of it regularly along with another half dozen boating books but i do want to take some face to face instruction/seminars.

the time/money remark was simply to inform that i do not have the time to take two* somewhat identical courses just for the sake of it.
lets face it, if you are not retired than time is probably difficult to find..
that being said i would never compromise safety.

*Per, *I think my comments were more towards someone who knew nothing about boats and boating.

I have been around boats all my life. It is my opinion that doing is the best teacher you will find.

All the book learning in the world will do you know good if you don't know how to translate fact into action.

I had a friend who was a member of MENSA,( a Genius club).
I helped her move once. She had a dozen chickens to move an hours drive.**She packed them in a cardboard moving box. Nedless to say upon arrival we had 12 dead chickens.

My point is just becaus you have the knowledge doesn't mean you have the common sence to put thought into action.

It's all about time spent and water moving under the keel.

Learn the laws but most of all just get out there and go boating.

SD

nomadwilly wrote:

*I'll change my avitar to that end and invite others to do the same.
You have most of us at a disadvantage, Eric.* We aren't all as handsome.

232323232%7Ffp53839%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D347994%3A868336nu0mrj

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 04:29:02 PM

markpierce wrote:

nomadwilly wrote:

*I'll change my avitar to that end and invite others to do the same.
You have most of us at a disadvantage, Eric.* We aren't all as handsome.

232323232%7Ffp53839%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D347994%3A868336nu0mrj

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 04:29:02 PM
Maybe without the swirl effect in the background there might be an improvement.

Tom and I took the Power Squadron course,* We did the online version and learned some.* We learned a ton from the Dockmaster and old sailors (yep, I said OLD* er)*at our first Marina.* We also hired a captain on board when we first bought her so we could learn proper docking techniques.**

I guess if you ever think you are "done" learning,* you should hang it up.** I just reread Coastal Cruising Under Power.....Tom was hogging the Chapmans.

Besslb wrote:

I guess if you ever think you are "done" learning,* you should hang it up.** I just reread Coastal Cruising Under Power.....Tom was hogging the Chapmans.
I'm not sure you have to hang it up once you stop learning, but boating is a lifetime learning experience.* Starting with the basics at either course is a great way to get your feet wet (so to speak, not literally).* Having exposure to the basics will help you to decide where you want to go from there.* Learning boating skills is enjoyable, social, and rewarding.* The more you learn, the more you recognize you need to learn.* Everyone starts somewhere, and lots of folks go on to do big things.* Will you end up needing to know things like radar plotting or celestial navigation?* Likely not, because most folks don't need to know it.* On the other hand, practicing skills such as proper man overboard recovery, damage control, fire and flooding control, abandon ship methods* proper anchoring technique, proper radar tuning, and dozens of other skills will most likely come handy one day, and possibly save yours or a loved one's life.* These are not things you usually get from an entrey level course, but from more advanced courses, such as our live aboard classes. So, don't dwell too much on which course to take, there is something to be learned from all of them.* I think it's better to plan to take multiple courses over time.* Meanwhile, get out there and enjoy your boat under conditions that match your skill level.* ............Arctic Traveller

Trawler Training at www.arctictraveller.com

Arctic Traveller wrote:

The more you learn, the more you recognize you need to learn.*

*This is SO true!* And not only in boating!!*
wink.gif

Chapman's is great as an introduction to a topic and as an ongoing (hopefully onboard) reference. The USPS classes not only have great detail, but since they're taught by, and taken by, boaters of widely varying experience, you get a level of learning that goes way beyond any book.

Just recently got the 66th edition of Chapman's, edited by Charles Husick, a writer for many boating magazines over they years. If you've got a 20 year old version sitting on the shelf (like me!), it's worth the update. The core basics stay the same, but it updates the technology and modernizes the overall presentation.

The only reason I use my music promo pic as an avatar is because I don't have a trawler yet. I'm sure that, when I get one, I'll love taking my ugly mug off and beamingly display my new home.

Making progress getting the house ready to go on the market. Still looking on target for this spring or summer. Keep coming back to the Lord Nelson Victory Tug - I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but it keeps looking right for me and what I plan to do.

Jeff Wolf

Whoa! Updated my profile avatar. Looks like the new pic goes into previous posts. Who new?

This is me in October 2010 at the Stone Boat at the Summer Palace in Beijing. My Tai Ji teacher's grandfather, was a Chinese general assigned by the Dowager Empress to begin a Chinese Navy to wipe out the European imperialists. She sent him to Fujian to wait for funds to build boats. The money never arrived - she spent it on things like the Stone Boat.

I'm sure either one's courses are good. I was in the Power Squadron and took some advanced courses. One difference I've noticed since 9/11 is that the USPS is still more of a social / fraternal boating club, and the USCG Aux has turned more militaristic. I have a friend who joined the latter and is loving it. He didn't have to get a TWIC card, but did go through a full security background check, and they do a LOT of training on the water with things like helicopter rescue, etc. He loves it! They work with the real USCG and one day, he was on a boat with one of their rescue helos overhead training on how to get disabled persons from the boat to the helicopter.

His wife now states she is an Auxiliary wife...he's never home. I don't know if you HAVE to be this involved, but keep that in mind and talk with both before deciding to join either.

I found Nigel's "BoatOwners Elect and Mech Manual" book on Amazon.* I am unable to locate the second book recommended "Everything you need to know to make repairs?* Is this book by the name author?

Keith, i dont think you need to join the USGCAUX to take their courses.
For the PS i think you may need to sign up for the local "group".

Thanks for all the feedback..
i agree Chapmans is a great reference book to have but when you have the emergency between your fingers, the last thing you want to do is go look for a book..
Need to be prepared, training and some sort of "internal" map of what to do in each situation.
I have a lot of aviation training, here we constantly train for every possible emergency so when it happens, even if you go in panic mode, your trained part of your brain takes over and does what it has been trained.

Per wrote:

Keith, i dont think you need to join the USGCAUX to take their courses.
For the PS i think you may need to sign up for the local "group".
PerYou don't have to join the CG Aux in order to take their Boating Safety Courses. However you do have to be a member to take the advanced courses, and do actual on the water training that Keith mentioned.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom