Old 03-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #21
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
RE: taking courses: USPS or CG Aux courses?

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

nomadwilly wrote:

*I'll change my avitar to that end and invite others to do the same.
You have most of us at a disadvantage, Eric.* We aren't all as handsome.

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 04:29:02 PM
Maybe without the swirl effect in the background there might be an improvement.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

Tom and I took the Power Squadron course,* We did the online version and learned some.* We learned a ton from the Dockmaster and old sailors (yep, I said OLD* er)*at our first Marina.* We also hired a captain on board when we first bought her so we could learn proper docking techniques.**

I guess if you ever think you are "done" learning,* you should hang it up.** I just reread Coastal Cruising Under Power.....Tom was hogging the Chapmans.

Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #23
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
Besslb wrote:

I guess if you ever think you are "done" learning,* you should hang it up.** I just reread Coastal Cruising Under Power.....Tom was hogging the Chapmans.
I'm not sure you have to hang it up once you stop learning, but boating is a lifetime learning experience.* Starting with the basics at either course is a great way to get your feet wet (so to speak, not literally).* Having exposure to the basics will help you to decide where you want to go from there.* Learning boating skills is enjoyable, social, and rewarding.* The more you learn, the more you recognize you need to learn.* Everyone starts somewhere, and lots of folks go on to do big things.* Will you end up needing to know things like radar plotting or celestial navigation?* Likely not, because most folks don't need to know it.* On the other hand, practicing skills such as proper man overboard recovery, damage control, fire and flooding control, abandon ship methods* proper anchoring technique, proper radar tuning, and dozens of other skills will most likely come handy one day, and possibly save yours or a loved one's life.* These are not things you usually get from an entrey level course, but from more advanced courses, such as our live aboard classes. So, don't dwell too much on which course to take, there is something to be learned from all of them.* I think it's better to plan to take multiple courses over time.* Meanwhile, get out there and enjoy your boat under conditions that match your skill level.* ............Arctic Traveller

Trawler Training at www.arctictraveller.com

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:

The more you learn, the more you recognize you need to learn.*
*This is SO true!* And not only in boating!!*
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #25

Chapman's is great as an introduction to a topic and as an ongoing (hopefully onboard) reference. The USPS classes not only have great detail, but since they're taught by, and taken by, boaters of widely varying experience, you get a level of learning that goes way beyond any book.

Just recently got the 66th edition of Chapman's, edited by Charles Husick, a writer for many boating magazines over they years. If you've got a 20 year old version sitting on the shelf (like me!), it's worth the update. The core basics stay the same, but it updates the technology and modernizes the overall presentation.

The only reason I use my music promo pic as an avatar is because I don't have a trawler yet. I'm sure that, when I get one, I'll love taking my ugly mug off and beamingly display my new home.

Making progress getting the house ready to go on the market. Still looking on target for this spring or summer. Keep coming back to the Lord Nelson Victory Tug - I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but it keeps looking right for me and what I plan to do.

Jeff Wolf
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #26

Whoa! Updated my profile avatar. Looks like the new pic goes into previous posts. Who new?

This is me in October 2010 at the Stone Boat at the Summer Palace in Beijing. My Tai Ji teacher's grandfather, was a Chinese general assigned by the Dowager Empress to begin a Chinese Navy to wipe out the European imperialists. She sent him to Fujian to wait for funds to build boats. The money never arrived - she spent it on things like the Stone Boat.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #27
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I'm sure either one's courses are good. I was in the Power Squadron and took some advanced courses. One difference I've noticed since 9/11 is that the USPS is still more of a social / fraternal boating club, and the USCG Aux has turned more militaristic. I have a friend who joined the latter and is loving it. He didn't have to get a TWIC card, but did go through a full security background check, and they do a LOT of training on the water with things like helicopter rescue, etc. He loves it! They work with the real USCG and one day, he was on a boat with one of their rescue helos overhead training on how to get disabled persons from the boat to the helicopter.

His wife now states she is an Auxiliary wife...he's never home. I don't know if you HAVE to be this involved, but keep that in mind and talk with both before deciding to join either.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #28

I found Nigel's "BoatOwners Elect and Mech Manual" book on Amazon.* I am unable to locate the second book recommended "Everything you need to know to make repairs?* Is this book by the name author?
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #29
Per
Guru

Keith, i dont think you need to join the USGCAUX to take their courses.
For the PS i think you may need to sign up for the local "group".

Thanks for all the feedback..
i agree Chapmans is a great reference book to have but when you have the emergency between your fingers, the last thing you want to do is go look for a book..
Need to be prepared, training and some sort of "internal" map of what to do in each situation.
I have a lot of aviation training, here we constantly train for every possible emergency so when it happens, even if you go in panic mode, your trained part of your brain takes over and does what it has been trained.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #30
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Per wrote:

Keith, i dont think you need to join the USGCAUX to take their courses.
For the PS i think you may need to sign up for the local "group".
PerYou don't have to join the CG Aux in order to take their Boating Safety Courses. However you do have to be a member to take the advanced courses, and do actual on the water training that Keith mentioned.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
charles wrote:

Chapman's and the second most valuable book is Nigel Calder's BOAT OWNERS ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL MANUAL
I could not agree more.* That book is amazing, I learn something every time I open it.* No matter what the problem I'm working on, if I need to understand how something is designed to work, Calders book solves the mystery. He has a gift for explaining complex technical subjects in a way that folks with limited mechanical or electrical background can understand.* Once you understand how something works, it's easy to figure out why it doesn't .....................Arctic Traveller

Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Per wrote:

Need to be prepared, training and some sort of "internal" map of what to do in each situation.
I have a lot of aviation training, here we constantly train for every possible emergency so when it happens, even if you go in panic mode, your trained part of your brain takes over and does what it has been trained.
You are totally correct.* This is why the USCG requires professional mariners to repeatedly practice drills such as fire fighting, man overboard recovery, abandon ship, flooding control and more.* Do it enough times, and if the real thing happens, you have a great chance of reacting by instinct.* (By the way, we do these drills in our live aboard courses)................Arctic Traveller