Taking care of Patience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wally9837

We purchased our GB Patience last winter. She was stored in a shed while in FL. Transom finish has failed after two months in the sun. Any recommendations to refinish the transom while it's says in the water for the summer?

Welcome aboard. What finish was on the transom?

Paint over fiberglass or varnish over wood?
Wide swim platform or narrow?
Refinish typically involves sanding and reapplication of coating.

I do all the refinishing with the eagle in the water. Every year there are areas that have to be refinished, part of trying to keep boat. Its my relaxation and hobby. Any day on the water is better than on the dirt.

I would venture a guess that there was something drastically wrong with the application no matter paint or varnish. 2 months is not an extremely long time in the summer months in FL much less this time of year. Not exactly sure where the boat is kept. FL or in Weymouth?

The transom was varnished. My concerns are with moisture in the wood during refinishing one foot off the water. My thought is time of day with less humidity would be appropriate. Has anyone had a bad experience doing this? Also the boat will be in the Boston area for the next year. Thanks

Sounds like PO only put on 1 coat for eye candy. Just guessing without photos.
Humidity is not an issue this time of year. You could apply 2-3 coats of Epifanes Rapidcoat per day. Final coat of gloss. Sand each morning with 220.

If the transom is down to bare wood and is permeated with moisture, varnish will not stick. Wait til the fall.

Back
Top Bottom