Old 06-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #1

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Orient
Vessel Model: 1978 36' Universal Marine Aft Cabin Trawler
Taiwan Trawlers source

Hi all, as many of the Taiwan trawlers were apparently cast from the same molds, what boat are they actually clones of? Where did the original molds come from?

Secondly, I absolutely love the Defever 40/41's, are there any clones of that specific boat?

gnaritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Some designs (including De Fever) were built by more than one yard, provided the designer retained copyright. And build quality varied. But each yard would have tooled their own molds. Popular designs may well have been substantially copied, but will vary when examined closely. Exact copies would infringe rights of the owner of the design. You won't find a 'master mold' anywhere, or clones in the strict sense.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
I owned a Hardin 39 for 20 years. It was reported to be a DeFever clone either from the Coaster...stretched to 39... or the 40 offshore shrunk to 39. It was a fine boat. Hudson 39 is virtually identical. It came as a single, as was mine, or a twin.

Ian
ianonhercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
A friend of mine used to own a Defever 40. It was built in Costa Mesa, CA. Donít know which others were built offshore. There is a Defever owners group that may have that info.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:11 AM   #6

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
I have a Marine Trader 41, and it looks identical to a Defever 42, inside and out
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #7
FF
Guru

"Where did the original molds come from?"

The tale is the first mold was pulled from a wooden sail boat that was offered a free paint job.

Sadly the transom was sprung a bit , but the boats were sturdy and sold.

Trademark or copyright protection was unheard of so many hulls came from purchased plans from good designers , plugs were built and molds followed.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The 3 somewhat distinct hull shapes I have noticed are (just representative names, not necessarily the first)....No not all models are so distinct from these 3 and there might be more that I havent paid attention to....

Grand Banks
Marine Trader
Albin
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
The truth is molds get bought, sold, loaned. Existing boats can easily be used as plugs. This means on the outside two different makes could have the exact same lines. They could also have the same interior lay out. This does not make them the same on the inside. What you can’t ever know for sure is the layup. Did one use dimensional glass where another was chopper gunned, how many layers of roving vs Matt, is coring material balsa, foam, cardboard or no coring. Is the wire tinned or not, are electrical conduits molded in to the hull. Often there is a reason why one make is cheaper than another.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaritas View Post
Hi all, as many of the Taiwan trawlers were apparently cast from the same molds, what boat are they actually clones of? Where did the original molds come from?

Secondly, I absolutely love the Defever 40/41's, are there any clones of that specific boat?
You may find this article by Bob Lane helps a little with your question. I haven't seen anything that would cast doubt on what Bob wrote in 1998.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf venerable_taiwanese_trawlers.pdf (194.2 KB, 369 views)
Old 06-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #11

grahamdouglass I'd love to see some pics of your boat, especially the inside and engine room.

psneeld great info about hull shapes, thanks.

koliver thanks, have had that pdf for a while, there's just not quite enough info there and I was looking for more.

Thanks all for the feedback.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #12

City: long beach, ca
Vessel Name: JuliBel
Vessel Model: DeFever 41'
Not sure if this helps - but I have a DeFever 40/41 built in 1979, official number #640033. My USCG documentation lists the following as place built:

Keelung Taiwan (Hull)
Ft Lauderdale, FL (Completed)
ddare0351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #13

Nah that doesn't help much; however, since you have the boat I want you know way more about it than I do. Any reason I shouldn't love this boat? You ever take her out too far offshore? Single engine or twin? I want single for easier maintenance and prop protection in the pacific northwest waters where floating/submerged logs are a thing. Lehman or Cummings or something else? You have any issues with your teak decks, or rusted fuel tanks? What year is it, and what'd you pay for it?
Old 06-19-2018, 10:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaritas View Post
Nah that doesn't help much; however, since you have the boat I want you know way more about it than I do. Any reason I shouldn't love this boat? You ever take her out too far offshore? Single engine or twin? I want single for easier maintenance and prop protection in the pacific northwest waters where floating/submerged logs are a thing. Lehman or Cummings or something else? You have any issues with your teak decks, or rusted fuel tanks? What year is it, and what'd you pay for it?
Too far offshore? I don't cruise that far offshore, farthest I ever go is to the back side of Catalina Island (about 20-25 miles). Previous owner took her from SF to La Paz, MX. Twin Lehmans. No prop protection. Teak decks were removed before I bought the boat, no problems there. Windows could use to be rebedded, have a leaking sliding window but I sealed it shut and it doesn't leak. No problems with rusted fuel tanks but they are not accessible so I haven't been able to visually inspect them. It's a 1979. I paid $55k USD for it two years ago.

No reason you shouldn't love it, but this is my first boat and I'm definitely not an expert.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #15

Well I plan on it being my first boat as well so you're more an expert than me. Thanks for those answers, helpful. A few more if you have the patience. Any regrets on getting that model? Would you buy it again? What do you pay for insurance, that's almost exactly the boat I want even down to age. Just has one extra engine.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:40 PM   #16

I pay $1377/year for insurance. No regrets, I probably could have gone with a smaller boat but I wanted the option to be able to liveaboard, which I could def do with the aft cabin. I would def buy it again.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:36 AM   #17

Great, totally affordable. Size, that's one of the reasons I like that boat, I plan to liveaboard as well, seems perfectly sized for that. Thanks for the answers.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:15 AM   #18
Guru

My 1988 is constantly needing work....

Previous owner maintenance (looked nice and passed survey with high marks) , location of the boat much of its life, and construction all conspire to make this a 24X7 project boat.

It does cruise to FL from Jersey every year (this will be the 7th trip) but constantly demands attention. If you use the boat hard, and it was built to average Taiwan stsndards and used standard Taiwan materials, you stand a fairly high chance of rebuilding the whole boat as I am.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Hilton Head Island
Vessel Name: Lady Maria
Vessel Model: 1987 CT 35 Sundeck
Iím not sure I agree with you on the ďtotal rebuildĒ comment. I have an 87 CT and there are definitely maintenance items constantly needing attention. However it has never really been the fact it was made in the Far East. Groco is Groco whether itís on a CT or a GB or Nordhaven, they get old and need replacing, I have a few minor soft spots, so what? Iíve stopped the source of the moisture.
Point is by the nature of boating ie salt water maintenance will always be high but I for one certainly donít see a need to completely rebuild my boat itís perfectly solid as is with the usual recurring boat projects. Just my opinion.
tbtapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #20
Guru

Not saying they all need it, but many do based on prior maintenance and how the boat was used.

Mine had a good survey but yet disintegrated after moving from South Florida and going through one freeze thaw cycle up north.

Some dont worry about Taiwan wiring and PO/aftermarket tampering..... I do, so a complete rewire was in order. Heck, most boats even US built from the 80s, rewiring isnt a bad thing.

I am far from a "yachtie"... but just organizing the systems layout of the boat, general improvements, and trying to keep up with a boat being used 7 months of the year and rebuilding the other 5 has kept me busy since buying her in 2012.

You never know just how "solid" a boat is till you tear it apart. Even surveyors miss huge defects. Then again, I never plan on subjecting my boat to much more than a Bahamas crossing in fair weather, but 2500 miles a year and being a fulltime liveaboard puts enough wear and tear to shoa her weaknesses.

No other type boat I have worked on seemed to suffer neglect like a Taiwan boat.

But as the OP asked, while many look alike, there are really so many variations in them.... its a crap shoot for what you may wind up with without careful inspection and forethought.