Taff rail log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
Ever seen on of these?

Early speedometer. Back in the days of steam ships and later the coal and diesel these were use to calculate the speed of a boat. They hung from the taff rail at the back of the boat.

I picked this up in a box of junk at an auction when a boating supply shop went out of business.

Sd

-- Edited by skipperdude on Friday 12th of March 2010 12:55:42 PM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Friday 12th of March 2010 12:58:36 PM

Attachments

• hyd 011.jpg
    hyd 011.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 84
  • hyd 010.jpg
    hyd 010.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 78
I posted this on another site a while back.
Some of the comments were that big fish would sometimes hit the rotor.
Quite a lure Eh?

skipperdude wrote:
Back in the days of steam ships and later the coal and diesel these were use to calculate the speed of a boat. They hung from the taff rail at the back of the boat
Taff rail logs may be old tech, but did not pass out of use after steam and coal. I do not date to the days of steam and coal (well, perhaps to the death rattles of the coal era) and I remember off shore cruising on friends' parents' sailboats in the 1960s and early 1970s when taff rail logs, along with RDFs, sextants (for at a minimum the taking of noon sights), proper chartplotting and DR, were the tools (along with a compass) a recreational boater had and the tools one used. Actually, I know of a couple of people who still use taff rail logs on long passages, as well as sextants.

I only vaguely remember how to use a sextant, sight reduction tables, RDF, etc., and will probably never use them again in my lifetime (unless, perhaps, if the satellites go down). I love my chartplotter and radar for the type of boating I do now. Although I still use paper charts, I am a bad boy and only occasionally keep up my plot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom