Old 11-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #1

City: Oriental
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Albin 36 Trawler
Tach

Why is my tach bouncing every so often ?

KEVMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #2

City: Anacortes Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
One of my tach's will do this too. I have noticed this happens when I am cruising with the generator on, and the battery voltage gets to high. I will turn off the inverter battery charger, the voltage will drop back to a lower value and things are good to go.

Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #3

I️ am cruising the icw with the generator on .. will turn off and see what happens .. thanks for the suggestion
Old 11-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
The tach is driven by the alternator. When the loads on the alt drop to nothing the voltage regulator drives excitation voltage down to nothing and you lose the tachometer output.
Turn a small dc load on like a light or dc refrigerator and that should fix the problem.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #5

I️ turned the inverter on and the tv, turned off the generator and that did seem help ...
Old 11-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried the “Tiny Tach” that senses the pressure pulses in an injector pipe? Looks like a reliable and accurate possibility.
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #7

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
We have a circa 1975 engine panel with Motorola tachs. A couple of questions since the subject is on the table:

1) All four of the tach's read slightly differently. Is there an adjustment screw somewhere?

2) The tachs do not move when the engines are started. It is necessary to rev the engines up to about 1500 rpm in neutral when the needles suddenly jump up. After that function is normal even down to minimum idle. Is the normal?
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #8

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
I have noticed this happens when I am cruising with the generator on, and the battery voltage gets to high. I will turn off the inverter battery charger, the voltage will drop back to a lower value and things are good to go.
The first item on my mental checklist for engine start is to turn the battery charger off. I can't see any good coming from either the alternators or the charger having voltage fed back to them. Battery charger is only on when engines are off and generator is running or on shore power. I think this is good practice.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
We have a circa 1975 engine panel with Motorola tachs. A couple of questions since the subject is on the table:

1) All four of the tach's read slightly differently. Is there an adjustment screw somewhere?

2) The tachs do not move when the engines are started. It is necessary to rev the engines up to about 1500 rpm in neutral when the needles suddenly jump up. After that function is normal even down to minimum idle. Is the normal?
Our tachs do not read upon starting as the alternator does not start producing till the oil pressure comes up, I always thought it was to stop any load on the engine till pressure is up.

Our tachs have a screw on the back that will step the rpm's up or down.
Yes, I have my "AnchorRight - Excel"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fairport
Quote:
We have a circa 1975 engine panel with Motorola alt

This seems odd to me. My old MOTs had an excite wire with a tab terminal. Do yours have this? Has anyone seen an oil pressure connection to a alt regulator??
It sounds to me that the MOTs are having to work in a self-excited mode like the later “one wire” alts.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:59 AM   #11

City: BREMERTON
Vessel Name: Dream Weaver
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander/Pilot House
I recently re-calibrated my circa 1979 Motorola tacs. There is a small white plastic plug on the back of the tac that needs to be removed. Screw driver adjust thru the hole. I recently went to electronic readout on the MFD using Actisense. So now the Motorola tacs are more for back up but I still wanted them to be accurate.
DW1979OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:00 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"So now the Motorola tacs are more for back up but I still wanted them to be accurate. "

Impossible as the belt slippage or pulley diameter changes on alt. driven units.

Only with a mechanical device , usually points in a housing , can a tach be close to accurate.

The new electric injection by computer is best chance at accuracy.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #13

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Knotty Girl
Vessel Model: Mainship 31 Sedan
Possibly a bad ground to the tach? My port gauge will either bounce or start reading high every now and then. It’s a bad ground, going to make a new connection tomorrow.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: seymour, Ct.
Vessel Model: 1980 Mainship MS1
Quote:

Do the alternators show any charge indication before you rev the engines? if not and you have alternator driven tachs that's your answer - unfortunately that leads you do another question, why do you have to rev the engines to get the charging system working...
rhakct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #15

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
My tach runs off of a flywheel sensor, but it can refuse to read on startup, especially if the batteries are down a bit. A little nudge on the throttle sets things in motion.
So it isn’t a problem that’s limited to alternator driven tachs, it has more to do with the alternators exciter, and possibly weak grounding.
I can’t fathom it being related to oil pressure other than just coincidence.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Chocowinity
Vessel Name: Cold Duck
Vessel Model: 1996 Shannon Voyager
I had the same problem sometimes good sometimes it bounced all over.

Had my mechanic take to a shop in Greenville, NC rebuild it and no more bounce.

Sorry I don't know the name of the shop,
Bill R.
Bill R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #17

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW1979OA View Post
I recently re-calibrated my circa 1979 Motorola tacs. There is a small white plastic plug on the back of the tac that needs to be removed. Screw driver adjust thru the hole. I recently went to electronic readout on the MFD using Actisense. So now the Motorola tacs are more for back up but I still wanted them to be accurate.
Where did you get actisense in US? Is it only metric? What engine do you have? Do you think it would work with Ford Lehman engine and lastly how much did it cost? I would love to input my engine data into my Garmin 7612, thanks
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #18
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Bouncing tach can be due to alternator belt worn, wrong tension and worn alternator bearings.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #19

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Quote:

They don't read immediately because your voltage regulator probably has a delay before it "turns on" the alternator. Mine is about a minute or two after the engine starts.

mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote